Author Topic: Protective commuter gear  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Strombone

Protective commuter gear
« on: May 22, 2011, 21:52:58 »
Hello,

I am thinking of doing a stint at commuting from home in Hertfordshire to The City. I tried the journey over the week-end and it takes 50 minutes and is about 15-20 mins on the M1 followed by the A1 almost all the way to the office.

Anyway, safety comes first and I want to wear overtrousers which are made of tough protective material (cordura etc) just in case but can wear comfortably over suit trousers. I may have to get a jacket as well. All the ones I see on the web concentrate on weather protection.

By the way, at the risk of upsetting you, I might do it on my Vespa GTS300 as riding through central London would be far easier   :grin: .

Any advice (about the clothes not the Vespa  :grin: )?

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: Protective commuter gear
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 22:53:23 »
If you're going for 'all weathers' GoreTex is a must, after that you're down to price and fit  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 23:04:27 »
I have the RST Paragon II textiles, takes me through all weathers, except ice, all year round from Warwick to Reading and back, 5 days a week. It handles the hard wearing well and I've had no major issues with it at all. I find them very comfortable and they aren't ludicrously priced for what you get. They have protection in all the right places and a nice touch is the neck tube thing that can be unzipped in warmer weather. I wouldn't say it's ideal for high summer, but so far I've taken out the thermal inners and unzipped the vents and it's fine for me at the motorway speeds I'm normally going at.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Strombone

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 19:33:24 »
I think I 'll have to forget the idea of wearing my suit trousers underneath if I want to wear decent protective trousers.  I can't see the point of wearing  mc trousers that aren't made of skid proof material, but plenty I see advertisesd seem to rely on armour only. Am I being to careful? Otherwise I could put any old overtrousers on...

Offline Glider65

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 22:41:19 »
I've commuted for the first ten years with Frank Thomas kit (with soft armor) did find my Jacket got scrunched up quite bad so tended to leave it at work.  Just 'upgraded' to Hein Gerick kit with hard armor, with vents.  I did try (when slimmer) wearing leathers, but it's such a pain padding to and from the toilets.  Far prefer stripping at my desk.

Though one day, I was in my leathers, and walked in the back door.  Got collared on the stair case with an urgent cry for help.. so took off my jacket and sat at the bloke's computer, starting to work on the problem.  Hazel in customer services kept glancing across at me with a quizzical expression that seemed a bit odd.  Eventually, having switched the computer on and off twice I declared it fixed and stepped away from the desk, at which point Hazel cried out and pointed at my Leather's "THAT's why you've been creaking!" she exclaimed.  

A few years later, riding across to Huddersfield in the depths of winter, I puff my way up 3 flights of stairs in my Frank Thomas cordura goretex gear, and start to peel away the layers of neck warmers, jacket, trousers etc.  A Lass steps up to me and asks me if I'm a skiier.  To which, I reply, "Yes, you too?"  "no, I just saw you come in in your ski gear and thought you were using that because it was so cold".  I held up my Helmet, and looked her straight in the eye (still defrosting so not quite running at full speed) "erm, I was wearing this too", I hopefully point out, thinking she'd get it.  She looked at me blankly for a  moment before a Brenda from Repairs (who was a biker) put the lass out of her misery.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 23:10:19 »
lol  :clap:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 23:15:35 »
Quote from: "Strombone"
I think I 'll have to forget the idea of wearing my suit trousers underneath if I want to wear decent protective trousers.  I can't see the point of wearing  mc trousers that aren't made of skid proof material, but plenty I see advertisesd seem to rely on armour only. Am I being to careful? Otherwise I could put any old overtrousers on...
All the textile motorbike trousers I've ever looked at are high abrasion resistant (ballistic nylon, Kevlar etc) / specially stitched/ reinforced at seams etc, I'd be curious to know which ones you've seen. As for wearing trousers underneath this should be no problem if the mc trousers have removable thermal (and/or waterproof) linings, it's what I do on occasion, though a suit would end up creased to buggery I reckon :shrug: .
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 23:18:17 »
Quote from: "Strombone"

I always ride in textiles with my suit in a Givi V46 topbox (or sometimes left at work). If you go for a lightweight material (for the suit) it doesn't crush in the top box. Personally I wouldn't ride with anything less, but it's down to personal preference and attitude to risk.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:15:57 »
Gloves, Lid, Jacket and Trousers, boots with Ankle protection...

Its a no brainer...

NONE of the above, should be missing when you ride...
If you decide to skip one, thinking that it won't matter, then THAT is the one that would have saved your skin... prob quite literally !!!

I ride in Richa Textiles... and work in the trousers, padding and armour, and all....
if you want something cost effective, and not to expencive... go for Richa textiles...
If you want serious protection, and are willing to strip down at both ends of your ride... go for leathers... or atleast a Leather Jacket, and Textile trousers...

BUT ...

Gloves are a must, no matter WHAT other people say...
Just remember, that at 30 mph... when your hand hits tarmac/concreate... THAT is not going to give... and you are going to shave your hands/bones/arms bown at about 6 INCHES a SECOND !!!
If you want to see what I mean... just look at your hand... now look at the palm, and the heel of your hand... you WILL shave from your heel of your hand, to your ELBOW in about 2 seconds, leaving nothing but a greasy red smear on the road, and a bloody stump where your fore-arm USED to be....

Still thinking about skimping on protective clothing?
no... I thought not...

Offline Strombone

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:53 »
Quote from: "Hauler"
Gloves, Lid, Jacket and Trousers, boots with Ankle protection...

Still thinking about skimping on protective clothing?
no... I thought not...

I think I may have been a little misunderstood here  :grin:

No way am I looking to skimp on the safety. I wear all the safety clobber even on my scooter. What prompted my question is my desire to wear the protective clothing.
What I was trying to do was find out what was recommended, through experience, as good protective gear ( esp trousers) that fit well over suit trousers. ( the jacket I could put in the box I expect).
I have Rukka trousers (cordura) but put them over my suit trousrers and I can see that they will be creased to buggery quite quickly.  

Thanks for the safety advice Hauler, but I am already too aware of the dangers. If I can't wear a high level of protection, I stick to the train  :grin:

I think I shall assume that the only way is putting my suit in the box. No big deal I suppose. ANyway, I took a look at the MC parking bays at 08:30  -Chockers! That might end my commuting speculation  :grin:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:51 »
ones of the blokes I've bumped into on my travels, commutes 50 miles a day all year round.
the day I met him he was in jeans and a light-weight armored jacket - it was bloody hot!
but when commuting he said "I always wear a one piece armored, cordura/gortex water proof suit." it's a little bigger than he would have bought to ride normally, but he can put it on in seconds, zip it up, velcro the front flap, and adjust the waist band if needed, then it's only gloves and lid you need to put on".  he did say he can put his motor-cross boots on first then the trousers, but he he is likely to get dirt on the inside of the suit and with the metal tips on the boots, he might ruin the lining, so doesn't.
he had it with him, and pulled it out to show the gathering group of riders. did look very ressiliant to dammage, armor was good and all the arms and legs had poppers to adjust the fit!  :thumb:
seemed really good.
down side was the price, he said this one wasn't the top of the range and was £750!
if I traveled more than 6 miles to work I'd get one! (if I had that sort of money)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:11 »
I leave some shoes, jeans and jersey or whatever at work and change when I get there. I take fresh clothes to work first then bring the ones that needs to be washed back home. Reason being is that if I take ones to be washed home first then I don't always remember to take fresh clothes in and it's not a lot of fun spending a whole day in textiles :)

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:48 »
I travel quite a bit for work. I wear cheap suits because although I am expected to wear one I often work in a dirty environment (printing). I also often need a suit that can be carried in a bag.

Watch out for "Travel Suits", often available from M&S and sometimes even Asda & Tesco. They look perfectly acceptable and they can be chucked in a bag or pannier and taken on the plane or bike but still come out looking uncreased (almost).

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:02:55 »
good advice Hauler, though the bit on gloves weirdly put me in mind of a Young Ones' PIF:

Say, for instance, that this huge meringue filled with whipped cream is a young mother, loaded down with groceries. And perhaps this enormous, soggy, over-ripe tomato is a tiny little girl who doesn't realise what a dangerous place her exciting new world is. And let's assume that this cling film parcel of mashed banana and jam is a deaf senior citizen, who's in a wheelchair and is blind. And this cricket bat, with a breeze block nailed to it, is your car. Now what happens when your car mounts the pavement?

<manically smashes food with breezeblock>

Think Once. Think Twice. Think Don't Drive Your Car On The Pavement.

:grin:
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline paulturneruk

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 19:56:36 »
I know they are expensive but if I had the money again, I would definately buy the Aerostitch RoadCrafter Suit.
It was quite simply the best piece of kit I have ever owned.

Unfortunately someone stole it a Brands Hatch a couple of years ago and I have never been able to afford another.

Worth every penny.

Paul

Offline Strombone

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 22:06:49 »
Quote from: "paulturneruk"
I know they are expensive but if I had the money again, I would definately buy the Aerostitch RoadCrafter Suit.
It was quite simply the best piece of kit I have ever owned.

Unfortunately someone stole it a Brands Hatch a couple of years ago and I have never been able to afford another.

Worth every penny.

Paul

Certainly gets good reviews. I like the quick on/off aspect as well....
Not cheap but then you get what you pay for they do say...