Author Topic: New helmet prices (Shoei x1100 / Quest)  (Read 6456 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: New helmet prices (Shoei x1100 / Quest)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24:24 »
Just ordered my Shoei Qwest and a "free" dark tinted visor from www.racevisors.co.uk @ £284.99. I made a last minute decision to go for the matt black instead of the gloss black. I think gloss black shows scratches to easily and I figured the extra £25 isn't going to kill me. Besides, the helmet should last me 2 years, which in my current situation is about 85k miles, and I figured I have to like the look of it for that long too (assuming no incidents that makes me need a replacement *crosses fingers*) I was happy with the Shark RSi Titan I had, it's just that Shark doesn't have anything that appeals to me at the moment and for some daft reason none of their new helmets have double D ring straps :crazy: Now I just have to wait for delivery, it should be 2-3 working days and I ordered early today so I'm hoping for a quick delivery.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:55 »
I've heard that the matt finishes show up fingerprints etc horrendously well  :shy:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:08:06 »
My Shark is matt blue and I don't have any issues with the matt finish, never had a matt black one though :shrug:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline jeyre60152

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 20:17:48 »
I have a Matt Black Raid 2 and think that it shows up lees than my previous Gloss Black. :shrug:

Offline Dan J

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 22:28:20 »
Juvecu - please can you post a review of the Qwest once it arrives?  I'm looking to replace my X-Lite X901 which is a fantastically quiet helmet so am looking for something that will be equally quiet and suited to the Wee's seating position - which hopefully the Qwest will be.

Cheers!  Dan

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 13:29:31 »
Will do if I remember, else remind me, I should have it by tomorrow or Friday.

Offline Dan J

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:01 »
Juv - how are you getting on with the Qwest?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 23:18:37 »
I was away on training, when I got back in the office on Thursday the helmet was waiting for me. I'm happy with the matt black, I think it looks much better than the gloss black. I used it on the trip back home on Thursday evening, it's about 93 miles. The Pinlock insert is separate in the box when it is delivered so I fitted that right away. When I first put it on it was very tight, I had tried on the Small and Medium and I know the Medium is too big so I wasn't worried, a new helmet will be a bit tight. The first thing I noticed is that it is quieter than my previous helmet. I noticed this before I even got riding, the sound of the engine idling was much more muted (note: I also wear SNR 29 rated ear plugs.) On the motorway the sound reduction is noticeable too, much quieter than my previous helmet (a Shark RSI Titan.) There is much less wind noise and the aerodynamics (having been designed for an upright sitting position) are much better. You can turn your head left and right to check mirrors/blind spots and you hardly feel any pushing against your head (at about 85 mph indicated.)

When I got going I also noticed that my field of vision was improved, the Qwest has a good sized view port and the visor is crystal clear, even with the Pinlock insert in. The Pinlock goes practically edge to edge (top to bottom) on the visor, you have to look to see that you have a Pinlock insert and you only notice it if you concentrate on the far left and right side of your field of vision. This makes the Pinlock hardly noticeable at all and I found this quiet nice that they tought of making it so unintrusive. The visor latching system is spring loaded, when you close the visor fully the springs pull the visor into the rubber that goes around the viewport. This gives a good seal and you can really hear the difference, it's almost as if it does a slight sucking sound when it closes like that while riding. There is a lever thingy on the left, if you press down on it the visor cracks open about a millimeter away from the rubber, it seems to work well, but I can't see myself using it much as it's easier to just open the visor a bit. That said, if you open the visor a bit the wind can make it vibrate, whereas if you used the lever thingy it doesn't vibrate at all. If you push the latch up the visor locks and you can't open it without unlocking it again (pushing it down to the middle position unlocks.)

After about 10 miles I got used to the different way the helmet sat on my head. I realised it hugs my head much better, particularly at the forehead and behind my head. The material that lines the helmet is comfortable, it comes in close to the neck on the sides for a snug fit and I think this contributes to the good sound isolation.

I decided I will experiment with the vents. There is a vent at the front on the chin that operates very easily with a good positive feel. This vent blows air up on the inside of the visor. I could feel the change when I opened this vent (on my old helmet I never knew if it was open of closed.) The top vent was much easier to operate than I thought it would be. It's just a small button that you slide forward/backwards to close/open. It has postive feel and is easy to find, even with heavy winter gloves on. This one is really noticeable when it's opened, it channels loads of air right on the top of your head. Here Shoei has done well, the helmet liner and the holes and channels in the foam are perfect. I can see this top vent being of a lot of use in the warmer months. There are also two rear vents, they operate by sliding them left/right. They are not so easy to find, but this is nothing serious, I just needed to get used to where they are positioned (higher up than I thought they were.) They have a positive feel as well, you know when you've opened/closed one without having to think about it. The left one is easy to operate, the right one is bit more tricky if you are going at motorway speeds and you don't want to let go of the throttle. I turned my head right and used my left hand, seemed to work well enough. I didn't notice any difference with them open or closed, but I might have better results when the weather is warmer and there is more need for cooling. All and all I'm impressed with the venting, it works properly and is easy enough to operate. I also noticed that there didn't seem to be any more noise with the front or rear vents open. The top vent added some expected wind noise, but it was less than with my old helmet and quiet enough to not be of any bother to me.

Halfway home I stopped at a motorway services and fitted the chin curtain to the helmet. The curtain is quite big and quiets things down even more by stopping wind from coming in at the chin opening. I think I will leave it on, if it's too warm in the summer I might take it off, but I don't think it will be.

I'm very happy with the purchase and I think it's excellent value for money. I paid £260 at racevisors.co.uk and I got a dark tinted visor included too. I was out for a quick ride today to the nearest B&Q and I used the dark visor, it's not as dark as my old one and I think I might add a "dark" tinted Pinlock insert to it to get it to the right amount of light reduction for my light sensitive blue eyes. I guess most thing such as noise and comfort are very personal and that different people will perceive them differently, but I don't think I could have become a better helmet for the same price.

Offline Dan J

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 10:51:00 »
Great - thanks for the update.  Will definitely have to try one of these.

Offline vwee

• Bike: 2017 NC750x dct
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 22:20:02 »
Had barnet cut monday as it was quite long and found my multitec(white) a bit loose when getting ready to go to work,so on the way I popped into my local Honda dealer and got a white qwest.6 days in and I'm not to impressed.Shoei,s web site is a bit misleading regarding to noise levels,all week I have been on my GSX650f and found the helmet is worse than the multitec.Today went out on the strom and no differant and that was using the sports screen,tomrrow will put on the madstad and givi screen and try again if I don't get a result I will find mr Shoei and shove it up his arse(there I feel better for that).The actual fit is spot on,on the GSX650f at speeds of 80+ the wind was pushing the lid up where as the multitec didn't, I also found the wind to be very noticable around the neck,(need to sort this out before winter)will also try a comparision with a Arai astro/j.I also ordered a size 39 chin pads(size 35 is standard but having bigger size means the pads are in contact with my checks where the 35,s went,and don't ask how much :bawl:  which I fitted a short time ago and again see if they give any improvement.oh yes a dark smoke visor for my german trip which is coming up.

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 07:34:28 »
I tried on the qwest on friday and the multitec and found that I went down a size to what I normally have but I also tried on a schuberth c3 which fitted so well and the difference it made while in the shop to noise around me was surpriseing but at £475 its alot of money but will have to see what happens
the thing I don't like and its been mentioned before that its hard to find a place that let you test a helmet before you buy I have looked on Shoei's website and they show some dealers that do but will have to find a place that let you try the c3 but may be off to helmet city next week so lets see what happens

badger1050

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 13:43:14 »
vwee, are you riding with the visor catch set to be a crack open or completely closed? And do you ride with your head tilted down or do you sit up straight?

I find that when I crack the visor open it makes a whistling sound and it's more noisy (obviously) then when it's closed completely. The top vent also increases noise, but wind rushing into any helmet does that. I always ride with ear plugs so that probably helps :)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 23:45:19 »
Quote from: "badger 1050"
the thing I don't like and its been mentioned before that its hard to find a place that let you test a helmet before you buy

Helmet City told me that if I left some ID and a deposit they would be happy for me to take a lid out and ride around to try it.

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 19:08:35 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
Quote from: "badger 1050"
the thing I don't like and its been mentioned before that its hard to find a place that let you test a helmet before you buy

Helmet City told me that if I left some ID and a deposit they would be happy for me to take a lid out and ride around to try it.

thanks for that I might try that as I could leave the wife there as a deposit but then I might just forget to collect her (trouble is she knows her way home)

badger1050

Offline vwee

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 21:09:08 »
Hi juveco,the helmet is now spot on ,have put the madstad/givi screen on the wee, spent most off monday sorting out a setting I'm happy with,still needs slight fettling but the wee is a darn sight better than the fixxer.
Fitting larger size cheek pads also helped and I will have to play with the visor as it needs to be open slightly around town,will give a more detailed report more once I get back from germany next week I'm hoping a couple off more tweeks and be able to ride on the autobahns with the visor up,having done this last year using the multitec(and having the flip bit up)the qwest should be as comfortble and noiseless as the multitec.hence not being at the southend shakedown.

Offline vwee

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 23:44:30 »
Quick update.qwest seems a lot nicer to use now esp after 1507 miles to germany,mind you I did cheat by using the madstad/givi combo.cheek pads also made a differance by fitting closer to the cheeks.visor changes is quick and simple,still a pain on the gsx but waiting on a new screen,got a small mark on the back where it touch a bar on security gates at work,not happy about that,but otherwise very happy with the lid. :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 11:22:23 »
Good to hear you're happy with it all now :thumb: Which size cheek pads have you taken out and put in? I feel that the cheek pads on my quest is just a tad too tight when I wear a neck tube/buff, though they did loosen up some with use. On the other hand, tight probably helps with keeping outside noise.

Offline vwee

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 00:45:40 »
Hi,juve the qwests come with 35,s as standard so put in 39,s.the problem is at £33.00 its lots of dosh for a dealer to carry every size cheek pads seeing as not everybody has the same face shape.