Author Topic: Good Textile Kit  (Read 3415 times)

Offline WonkyDonkey

Good Textile Kit
« on: August 17, 2010, 13:17:20 »
Whilst doing the Ride for Heroes I used some gloves made by Halvarssons (of Sweden). I was sceptical at first because of the claims that the retailer had (even though he's a mate) in that they keep your body temp regulated so you're never too hot or too cold. They have a liner in them called "Outlast" which is apparently liquid parafin crystals which warms up from your body heat.

They were mega effective on the ride - so much so that I have now invested in a set of trousers and a jacket.

It's quite costly (unless you're used to buying HG or BMW's stuff or Rukka) but it is worth the money.

Here's a link to the gloves:   http://www.raceleathers.co.uk/buy/Halva ... 30.htm#eq1

Here's a link to the trousers: http://www.raceleathers.co.uk/buy/Halva ... 00.htm#eq1

Here's a link to the jacket:  http://www.raceleathers.co.uk/buy/Halva ... 00.htm#eq1

I'm not trying to promote the shop - it's just I know he sells the stuff  :-)
Whilst looking for the tree on the bend.... I hit a bloody pothole !!!

Offline Beerbelly

Re: Good Textile Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 16:05:17 »
I bought my wife a two piece Halvarssons textile suit after seeing them at the NEC a few years ago. Good quality kit that fits and wears very well. The 'safety' suits are supposed to be very protective for textiles although they are a bit pricey, they come with a separate inner for the protection and an outer jacket for the weatherproofing. I've also got a pair of their 'State' gloves for all season use and they are great, the only downside is that the fabric can snag and pull on velcro.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:14:04 »
I'm actually in the process of looking for some new kit, I need to have it before the winter cold sets in and it needs to keep me comfy for the full 1.5 hour commute I have (3 hours both ways.) My current textiles have survived a fall, have a hole in an awkward place (high up, inside of the right thigh, the seam came loose.) Considering that they were used practically every day for the past 15 months I'd say they were great. They cost me less than £200 and they have removable water & windproof inner and removable thermal inner (these are the Akito Desert textiles if anyone knows them.) The problem with them is that you need to zip in the wind & waterproof liner when you need it. This is a real hassle if the weather changes quickly. Also, because the wind & waterproof liner zips on the inside the textile suit gets wet through and takes a long time to dry. I'd prefer something that is wind & waterproof already with a zip in thermal liner if it gets cold. But again, for the price they were great.

These Halvarssons ones looks really good without being priced too extreme like some of the other brands. Thanks for the heads up  :thumb: Now I need to find a place closer to me that sells them so I can go try them on.

If anyone has any other recommendations on good textile that will handle whatever the UK weather can throw at you with heavy use, please do post a mention of it.
:ty:

EDIT: http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/ also sells them.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 23:20:31 »
I also need a new set of gear although I don't have the cash at the moment, but was wondering is it possible these days to get a waterproof on the outside not a liner textile jacket and trousers that I won't have to sell one of my kids for. If only you could get your stuff p2i'ed (although some posts say it does not last in shoes)then that would be the ticket.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 23:37:40 »
p2i ?

edit: Google ftw: http://www.p2ilabs.com/
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:44 »
My Frank Thomas jacket (which was free as part of the deal on my bike!) fell apart so I took it back to George Whites. After a couple of weeks I chased it up and was offered £100 store credit  :lala:
So I popped in yesterday and bought this:

It was a little more than the FT  :shy:  But it is very nice  :thumb:  Hmmmmm Rukka

Stu

Offline WonkyDonkey

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:33 »
Rukka - a "little more" than the FT - Does Pet know ???    lol
Whilst looking for the tree on the bend.... I hit a bloody pothole !!!

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 19:36:34 »
God no!! She'd be  :angry-tappingfoot:  ###  :GRR:  and I'd be  :limp:

Told her it was half price, which it was after GW had brought it down to £350 and I got my £100 off  :shy:

Stu :thumb:

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 20:45:06 »
I have a Linstraads jacket which is the more stylish arm (so they say) of Halvarrsons which I bought from Bikebytz of Sandhurst while shopping for a bolt. As an ex bike trade person I know a good bit of kit when I see it and the quality of the jacket I have is excellent. Talked to the makers at the NEC bike show and was impressed with their technical know how but they could use a good marketeer to get the stuff more well known. If you go to their website you will see how they test some of their clothing by dragging a dummy around a track.
Now if only Triumph would remake their waterproof kevlar denim jeans I could buy myself a replacement set of strides. Don't know how much longer mine will last.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 16:57:45 »
I own a halvarssons halogen jacket and safety lvl 1 inner jacket, and love them. the best combined jacket I've ever owned, and worth every penny. when I can afford, I'm buying a pair of lvl 1 trousers and outer textiles.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!