Author Topic: High Vision clothing  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
High Vision clothing
« on: July 21, 2023, 07:37:44 »
I had yet another dick head pull out on me yesterday I don't know why he didn't see me I have day time running lights plus one spot light, (Tracer 9 in red). I was in a rural back ground. Any thoughts on High Vision vests, belts, anybody wear them, My HJC helmet has some High vision stickers on it. convert me!!
Cheers
Oldleathers

Offline Oldleathers

Re: Hello viz clothing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 07:45:12 »
Site keeps changing Hello (high) vis to hello vis, bit of a glitch fat rat.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Hello vis clothing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 07:59:41 »
IMO, FWIW, if they don't see you, then they won't, regardless of what you wear.
Neilm posted another thread about driving standards, it's something we all must experience every time we ride.
Sorry, I won't be trying to convince you to turn yellow, it'll make no soddin difference.
Upt.

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
Re: High Vision clothing
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 08:00:03 »
Personally I think High vis and running lights etc has very little effect on other road users. For a few it will help them spot us, but it seems to me most of the near misses I've had are because people aren't looking and a growing number who I'm convinced have seen me, pull out anyway, they think they're are more important than me and its up to me to deal with it.
For me the only answer is defensive riding/awareness.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 08:13:23 »
I wear my cloak of invisibility.

I assume that no-one can see me, and ride accordingly.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Oldleathers

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 08:49:47 »
I did a rider training course in the 70s (Rac/Acu) and a police rider said just presume everyone is out to kill you!!!

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 09:12:28 »
There has been a lot of research into SMIDSYs and the conclusion is that drivers do see you but their brain de-prioritises you if they see something more threatening afterwards, the classic case being you coming one way a medium distance away and a truck the other way but closer. The human brain sees the bike and lists it as not a threat, it then sees the truck and lists it as a major threat so deals with the truck and ignores the bike, once the truck has passed by, the driver has forgotten about the bike and so pulls out.
Hi-Viz clothing will get you seen by those who otherwise would have missed you completely but it won't help the ones who see you but then ignore you. I have read some stuff suggesting that twin headlights and aux lights do help as they (a) make you look bigger and therefore more of a threat and (b) 2 points of light means the driver can more accurately triangulate your distance and how fast you're approaching.
It's all very interesting and probably does make a difference but it won't stop them all so defensive riding and looking for solid eye contact as you approach side turnings is still your best bet.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 09:21:13 »
Over the years I've had more drivers pull out on me when I've been driving my car or the works van (granted I've done more miles in those than bikes though) but in my opinion drivers are drivers & I'm including so called professional drivers in this, those who have taken the extra tests/exams to drive certain vehicles, the standards of driving have gone down!
I think people are taught to pass a test now, not how to drive a vehicle.
Try & be the best rider you can, be observant, slow down & expect people not to see you.
I don't have H I VIZ but I do have running lights.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 09:59:20 »
Looking but not seeing is my take on the subject. Make yourself as conspicuous as possible by road positioning, additional lighting and eye visibility clothing and as Rixington mentions eye contact.

Failing all that plan either your escape route and your braking distance. Cornering ABS is rather good in letting you brake as hard as you like without the front end washing out.

On our mission the other day Rusty (I think) mentioned a documentary about a motorcycle Paramedic who was knocked off with his blues and two's on, I've heard the same from bike officers when I did the Bikesafe courses.

In short assume they haven't seen you.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 10:23:05 »
I remember  a piece  in bike magazine from years ago about  an MI5 officer  who used a black cbr600 to follow  suspects. When in a high speed pursuit he would turn off  his lights because  it was safer to negotiate  the traffic  as if they didn't  know you were  there and treat all as a danger.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 12:11:14 »
White Helmet.
Headlight/DRLs turned on and ride defensively.
I personally don't always wear High Vis but it won't make you any less visible.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 13:05:15 »
Last week  on the way to work a bloke in a van pulled out on an ambulance  with it's  blues on.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2023, 21:26:20 »
Bright yellow, covered in blue lights and a siren yet they still don't see you!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2023, 23:28:40 »
Five or so years ago, on a rideout with some Strommers, I was very surprised to see a mid pack rider's high-vi jacket when I was IRO 400 yards behind. Now when I have to ride in rain or reduced visibility conditions I break out the "lime" hi vi rain jacket. It doesn't keep me safe but probably keeps me safer.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2023, 10:33:39 »
If they can't see a sodding great big ambulance, with blues and two's, I rest my case. I'm not going to bore anyone with the details but after riding and driving emergency vehicles for 30 plus years you realise you can't change stupid.
Ride safe and if you're in doubt about your own abilities get the best training out there.
Upt.
FWIW.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2023, 11:43:26 »
Re: the ambulance pic, it might have been barrelling through a red light at 50 mph, in which case a little unfair to say the car driver didn't  see him.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2023, 13:34:05 »
Stupid is not an absolute condition. The degrees of stupid vary from person to person and then there is eyesight... Mine is not as good as it was. I don't like and I try to avoid driving is the dark. I also have a degree of stupid and Hi Vis clothing always catches my attention in poor lighting conditions. Although Hi Vis won't always save me I am sure sometime it might and I need all the luck I can get.  And as Rusty says who knows what was going on before that picture was taken?  In 2001 I went through a green light and was struck by a fire engine that ran the light with no blues or twos ( a blind bend before the junction which is why it had traffic lights)  I was in a Rover. The right hand front wheel came up through the bonnet and the engine exited over the left side. The rescue crew in the next unit cut me out of it.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2023, 20:22:18 »
There's a Canadian YouTube channel called Fort Nine , he has an excellent video on this subject. He's a little quirky and maybe not for all, but is always very informative.
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Oldleathers

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2023, 21:33:47 »
Great replies thanks. So I bought a new Weise jacket (any excuse ) half price from Fowlers with a hint of High Vis. Posted two pics with the High vis and my old Weise black jacket. what's the verdict folks?
Cheers Oldleathers.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2023, 21:46:36 »
The green is definitely more noticeable, probably even more so in lower light conditions.