Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with Bering textiles?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline DrawingBusiness

• Bike: 2005 V-strom 650
Does anyone have experience with Bering textiles?
« on: October 29, 2022, 16:38:27 »
I have to buy some new gear, after putting a few holes in my Daniese gore-tex. I had my eye on some Rev’it gore-tex (the Poseidon), but it’s pricey stuff. My local Suzuki dealer carries Bering gear, which looks good and fits well, but is a brand I know nothing about. Does anyone know how durable the Bering laminated gear is? I commute all year round, so need something that will keep me warm in winter but won’t cook me in the summer.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.

Offline DrawingBusiness

Re: Does anyone have experience with Bering textiles?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 18:05:15 »
Hmm, that’s interesting reading. That was 6 years ago, and the one I’m looking at is the Poseidon 2, but it’s definitely a cause for concern. Thanks for linking to that post.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 19:37:58 »
As it happens, I'm still using the Rev'It Poseidon kit mentioned in that post.
Since the fix was done to the jacket, it hasn't leaked again in 6 years and tens of thousands of miles of all year use. I'll caveat that with Covid severely restricted my mileage for a good two years, and I'm really just starting to get out and about again in the last few months. Perhaps I was just unlucky with the jacket I bought and GetGeared weren't great with the way they dealt with my disappointment and the circumstances.

So, how has the gear held up? There are several areas of reinforcement which were glued/heat bonded to the jacket around the shoulders/elbows which have started to lift/flap around. I keep thinking of gluing it back down albeit don't want to ruin the goretex membrane so haven't. (It's that noticeable that the missus commented that I should think of buying a new jacket as it looks like it's old and falling apart). The velcro on the left hand pocket has more or less detached itself. This is the pocket I use the most for keys etc so could be a factor.

Laminated goretex has to be the way forward if you can afford it. My previous jacket was just regular goretex and although never leaked, it would stay wet for a day or two. The laminated goretex is always dry the following morning.

I'm not convinced in the vents for summer riding - I don't tend to feel much benefit from opening them, but that could be as much to do with the Strom than the jacket/trousers.

They are very heavy compared to other riding gear I own including the set they replaced, but it feels like it's an improvement in quality/protection rather than anything else. Fortunately I've not tested their protection levels in an accident.

Offline DrawingBusiness

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 20:23:17 »
Thanks for that feedback, I appreciate it. I’ll be honest: it’s not made my gear choice any easier, but it’s all grist to the mill. Buying new gear is turning out to be more stressful than buying a bike.

Offline stoatsngroats

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 07:50:09 »
I can’t comment on Bering, but to throw a few more grist, I decided to have waterproof over jacket and trousers over my laminated Richa infinity Pro2 jacket (and not waterproof trousers) just to be sure. It adds a little bulk, but works very well and is far cheaper.
It may not suit your desires, so just a thought!

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Richa-Rain-Warrior-Jacket-BlackFluo-Yellow----XLarge/s-20650-52580.aspx?PartnerID=21&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shoppingUnitedKingdom&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwfiaBhC7ARIsAGvcPe6NRaGXlkgzhkhDjD3z4VKM2RIM1VjsUZ7SUatK7GmJg4zwL8c2eZAaAtmgEALw_wcB
Quiet applause will do.

Offline deecat

• Bike: 1050
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 18:21:40 »
I have been using the Bering Balistik  laminated jacket and trousers for the last two years and it has been fine.
I did have a leak once but it was my fault for leaving one of the air vents very slightly open.

The fact that the water just beads off it is nice and I have found it to be a lot lighter than my previous
Halvarsson kit.

When the time comes for a replacement I would deferentially look at Bering again

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 18:27:00 »
I have a weisse laminated jacket. it's not the lightest but once on is very comfy and warm. I have only encountered light rain which was no bother so can't comment on it's performance in downpours but am confident it will be OK as it seems to be well made. I bought it from sportsbike shop.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 23:52:47 »
FYI - Infinity Motorcycles have a sale on some Bering clothing https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/store/clearance/clothing?filterBrand=Bering