Author Topic: Guide to replacing exhausts?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Fenris

Guide to replacing exhausts?
« on: April 11, 2010, 22:45:35 »
I think I should be treating myself to some new end cans for my DL1000 next month (probably the Pipewerx black round ones after what I've seen on here) - I'm just wondering how hard would be to fit myself?

I've seen a few people saying it's fairly easy but I'm not very mechanically competent! Would anyone that's done it before be able to go over what needs to be done, along with what gear I'd need?

Many thanks  :grin:
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000

Offline dogpuf

Re: Guide to replacing exhausts?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 00:40:10 »
Its a pretty easy change

From memory you need a socket set that has 13mm, 12mm & 10mm sockets, 13mm & 12mm spanners and maybe a rubber mallet

All you do is loosen the clamp at the bottom of the pipe that fits onto collector box

undo the bolt that attaches the exhaust to the rear footrest

undo the bolt at the top that attaches the exhaust to the subframe under the rear indicator

grasp the exhaust from the rear and pull & waggle then pull & waggle until the exhaust pulls off the collector box pipe

Then assemble the new end cans and link pipes ready for fitment

fit onto the collector box pipe remembering to put the exhaust clamp on first

attach the end can at the subframe under the rear indicator

Once you have adjust the new exhaust so its straight and clears plastics, swinging arm, etc. then tighten the exhaust clamp and mounting bolts

none of the new end cans I have fitted have had any fitments to attach to the foot rests

repeat on the other side

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Fenris

Re: Guide to replacing exhausts?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:16 »
Ace - cheers :)
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000