Author Topic: Side Stand  (Read 870 times)

Offline Metro Strommer

• Bike: V Strom 650
Side Stand
« on: September 20, 2018, 16:52:14 »
Hi does anyone use the side stand to mount the bike the reason I ask is I have dodgy hips and it's awkward bending my legs like I use to as I'm 18 stone and just wondering how strong it is if there are any stout gentleman out there that mount this way please let me know if you have encountered any problems ????

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Side Stand
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 16:59:07 »
Hello MetroStrommer, I occasionally do that very thing, more because I'm a short-arse, but especially when I have on all my riding kit, and luggage on the bike. Otherwise I nearly kicked the bike over a few times trying to swing my leg over and booting the seat instead! I try to put my weight over the centre of the bike first, and do it as smoothly as possible, and I'm only 12.5 stones. Never had any problems. It's the same with tall trailbikes for me, I always use the sidestand for them. :thumb:
Knowing this forum, someone 'stouter' than me will be along soon :icon_wink:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 17:09:16 »
lol I forgot to say I was a short arse as well when the bike is loaded it makes matters worse as I have to then resort to your tactics oh for another 6 " lol

Offline rayboy68

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 18:17:35 »
I to are only short at 5'8" interesting question that as I don't believe ever seeing any guidelines as to the maximum weight the side stand actually takes, I suppose the same could be said for putting all your weight on the footpeg while cocking your leg over.

Offline Metro Strommer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 21:14:32 »
That's true yet I regularly stand up on my foot pegs and don't even think about it????

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 22:15:09 »
I quite often climb on from the right hand side of the bike trying not to put too much weight on the stand.