Author Topic: Should we change the bike?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Whiterose

• Bike: DL650 K6
Should we change the bike?
« on: January 29, 2023, 12:55:59 »
As newbies to both owning and running a motorcycle, the Strom was our first bike, we've been discussing what to do in the furture with regard to maybe changing the V Strom for something entirely different which may give us a more suited ride due to our skinny frames and lack of muscle power. So we thought of going away from an Adventure bike to maybe a Cruiser type.
We've looked at a Honda Rebel NCX1100 and are due to look at a Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650, but we can't understand why they are heavier than the Strom, is it simply that they have dual rear shocks and one has a double exhausts system, can anyone throw some light on this please?

Does any one own the Royal Enfield Super Meteor? We'd appreciate your view on it.
Many thanks

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: Should we change the bike?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 13:20:03 »
Cruisers offer a lower seat height, a lower centre of gravity and generally a nice comfy ride IF you are a steady rider. As soon as you start to push on a bit and up the pace the soft, compliant suspension becomes a mess and the bike will wallow, weave and generally become a pig to ride. There are exceptions to this rule, but if you like to take it easy a cruiser could be for you. They are generally heavy because they have a lot more metal than plastic and tend to have big thudding V-Twin engines which have massive heavy crank & flywheels. And chrome, never underestimate how heavy chrome is...

The Meteor has just come out so I doubt you will find many in the UK who have done many miles on one yet. At 650cc & around 50hp it's going to be the scenic route home away from busy roads. If you look at the Honda try before you buy, the motor vibrates a fair bit so make sure you can put up with it. As an alternative to a cruiser some of the modern 'retro' Triumphs have low seats and a low centre of gravity and don't forget the Guzzi V7, classy with a great chassis. Good luck  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 21:15:47 »
I think you should consider lowering the VStrom and keeping it. I (like many bikers) have had lots of bikes, big ones, small ones fast ones and slow ones. The best all round bike I've had is my DL650. It shocks me to admit it but it's true. Have a think about it before you decide to swap it.  :thumb: :auto-dirtbike:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 21:27:06 »
Before the Strom I mainly had cruisers. The Strom is much better for pillion comfort, and MPG. I think most cruisers I had tended to have a range of about 130 miles to a tank, which meant I used to fill up twice on the cruiser when visiting family 70 miles away, whereas the Strom goes there and back with fuel to spare. It might not sound too bad, but it's a pain having to go for petrol (which was worse when touring).
I do like cruisers though. They are a different beast, and great for laid back riding. Although the last one I test rode was the Suzuki Intruder 1800M and thought it steered like a bus.
Test ride as many as you can.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:59:27 »
There is no such thing as the perfect motorcycle because, not only are we, the riders different from each other' but our requirements and needs change. As an all round motorcycle, Suzuki got it right with the V-Strom. If I had younger hips I'd have another V-Strom.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:03:17 »
I've just gone the other way, behemoth to Strom. I think it was the right choice, time will tell.
If you fancy something that suits you better, only you can go and find it.
Firstly you're lucky because you'll have plenty of bike shops in your area, get out and visit them all and sit on anything that catches your eye. Then research them to the point of no return, join the forums of those which are still in the running and ask your questions there.
Then you'll need to test ride the short list.
You need to put the effort in or you'll get nowt in return.
As for the weight, it is just accepted cruisers are heavy, they could be light but then they would cost twice as much.
As a starting point I would sit on some Guzzi's.
Upt'North.

Offline Whiterose

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 09:54:26 »
Well everybody, a really big thank for all the input received so far, it's been very helpful and there's a lot to digest and as mentioned we've a lot of showrooms to visit before we make the final choice.
Thanks again.

Offline 2112

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 12:58:58 »
Don't forget to keep us updated  :thumb:

Offline Whiterose

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 15:52:18 »
Will do, going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to look at, of all things, an NC75x and the DCT transmission.  :dance:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 16:09:16 »
NC750 X Wow that was a disappointment.
Seat - very hard - test ride for at least one hour to find out
Engine - stealthy power delivery with no feel what-so-ever
Bodywork - like a plastic jigsaw puzzle that has lot of little tabs that are just waiting to snap off.
Always lit front indicators - other drivers point as if they are faulty
Brakes - Only one front disc - poor with no feel and make old strom brakes feel fierce
OE tyres - mine were Dunlops made in Brazil Yeah! I didn't trust them  - no feel
Petrol tank filler under passenger seat.- Awkward to get at, difficult to see the level when filling and with a shallow neck that requires very careful ( reduced) trigger action. 
In short:- it is not comfortable, it has no character, no feel and no soul.
I traded mine for a Moto Guzzi V7 and found the exact opposite. A bike that sounds like it feels like it goes.   
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 17:41:05 »
I tried the DCT on an 1100 Africa Twin last year, I was more than a little underwhelmed by it to be honest. Even in the sportiest setting it was trying to change up too early and then it would just hang onto a gear forever before deciding to move up or down a ratio. In the least sporty mode it was up into 6th by about 25mph...

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 20:12:21 »
it's amazing how many low mileage Africa Twins are for sale. They look like a great bike to me, if not a little expensive but I wonder why so many sell them after putting less than 10,000 miles?
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 20:52:29 »
I still love mine!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 08:52:17 »
Many owners sell bikes before their first major service, the CRF's 16k service can cost upto a £1000 at some dealerships.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 09:15:19 »
....or more likely a thousand or so miles after it should have been done and then the new owner assumes it's been completed because the seller said "Recently serviced" in the ad  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 09:26:44 »
True , which is why research is key.

Its Shame many don't.   :roll:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 10:43:33 »
Just adding my penny worth for Mrs FB on her 60th birthday she is collecting her new Triumph 1200 speedmaster chrome addition she has gone from her Kawasaki Versys 650 to this bike because of the seat height even though it's heavier she rode one for a day last September and loved it we covered over 120 miles that day on every road apart from green lanes and it handles beautifully range is OK we estimate 160 miles.

Only thing I'm dreading is the cleaning she leaves this for me .
Old Bald Soldier

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 06:16:16 »
for me cruisers are split into 2 groups, feet fwd and not feet fwd.
With my bad back feet fwd is out,every bump seems to go up my spine.Though the last feet fwd I rode was my uncles hard tail XS650 so bit extreme!
As for cruisers being ridden slow, not always.I followed a well ridden harley last year into kings lynn,I was on my tuned fz1s,and felt no need to pass him ,we were "making progress"
ho hum