Author Topic: Motorcycles in bus lanes consultation.  (Read 478 times)

Offline Lincsman

Motorcycles in bus lanes consultation.
« on: March 18, 2024, 12:03:23 »
News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

Act now: Motorcycles in bus lanes consultation.

The Government has launched a consultation on default access for motorcycles in bus lanes.  MAG has been fighting for policy consistency on bus lane access for many years and urges all riders to respond to the consultation.

As part of the Government’s Plan for Drivers a consultation has been launched asking for opinions on allowing default access for motorcycles in bus lanes.  The announcement was made on Sunday 17th March and the consultation is open until 9th June.

The Government’s news story led on other elements of the broad announcement.  Mainstream media reported on these other issues including LTN’s and 20mph speed limits.  MAG will be commenting on these issues separately.  However, MAG was quick to spot the launch of the long-awaited bus lane consultation.

MAG’s Director of Campaigns & Political Engagement said:

“It is perhaps not strange that a key policy for motorcycling slips past the headlines.  But for motorcyclists throughout the country this really is an opportunity that must not be missed.  The fight for motorcycle access in bus lanes has been fought one authority at a time for over three decades.  A consistent national policy is long overdue.  I would urge every rider in the country to spend five minutes responding to the consultation survey.”

The Government is suggesting two options.  Option 1 is to do nothing and continue with the patchwork approach currently in place.  Option 2 is to allow motorcycle access by default in all ‘with-flow’ and ‘contra-flow’ bus lanes in England and Wales.  Scotland has devolved powers and cannot be included in this consultation, but MAG will push the Scottish Government to follow suit to create a UK-wide consistency.  Northern Ireland already allows motorcycle access in all bus lanes.

Since the promise of this consultation was made last autumn, MAG has been seeking to get the consultation extended to cover bus gates.  Disappointingly, the Department for Transport has not accommodated what we consider to be a logical extension to the discussion.  MAG will continue to push for motorcycle access through bus gates and other traffic filters.  We are therefore advising riders to mention bus gates and other traffic filters in the final question in the consultation survey.

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or central-office@mag-uk.org

The full Plan for Drivers news story can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crackdown-on-anti-driver-road-schemes-and-blanket-20mph-limits-to-put-local-consent-first

The motorcycles in bus lanes consultation can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/motorcycles-in-bus-lanes

MAG resources including suggested consultation points will be published shortly on the MAG Let Us In campaign page here: https://mag-uk.org/let-us-in/

Central Office
The Motorcycle Action Group Limited
Tel: 01926 844064
Fax: 01926 844065
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Online cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650
Re: Motorcycles in bus lanes consultation.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 12:17:18 »
In Edinburgh motorcycles are allowed in bus lanes at all times. It causes no problems at all.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 12:24:33 »
Responded and shared.
Sheffield has these rights already and it works brilliantly.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 12:39:32 »
In Edinburgh motorcycles are allowed in bus lanes at all times. It causes no problems at all.

Maybe you could fill it out, that is if you've not already done so. :thumb:
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 13:07:50 »
It works in Plymouth and makes for safer and quicker travel through the city. Sometimes when I ride from Plymouth back into Exeter I almost forget I can't use the bus lane. It seems ridicules to be sitting in traffic when the bus lane is empty and would offer me safe passage. I will fill out the form now. Thank you.  :thumb:

Form filled out in great detail and I mostly referred to safety and benefits to the environment rather than speed, though those who have used bus lanes know that it is much, much quicker than sitting in traffic.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Lincsman

DO YOU CARE ??

Offline aderio

• Bike: Honda CRF250L, Vstrom DL1000A, Yamaha XJ700 Maxim, Bultaco Sherpa 325
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 16:01:49 »

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 21:25:50 »
Done.
I'm sick of badgering the local council for access to bus lanes. I've had lots of excuses as why we can't have them over the years. My two favourite were:
- Motorcycles in a bus lane would be dangerous to cyclists (oddly the fact cyclists share them with buses is lost on them)
- Council builds segregated cycle lane which narrows lanes to make filtering more dangerous, next response is 'we'd be asked to let everyone in the bus lane'
They must've got sick of me as their last reply was write to your councillor.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 21:31:10 »
Agree with all the above  :thumb: :thumb:
DO YOU CARE ??

Online cooltshirt

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 21:59:57 »

Maybe you could fill it out, that is if you've not already done so. :thumb:
Done  :grin:
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Fossie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 00:29:21 »
I  have posted this on Katana owners club to get more involved...it is our best oppotunity really as local and general elections mean MP's will at least acknowledge just to keep people on side ...
 To be honest here is Manchester area most bus lanes are free to all traffic most of the day  buses only 7-10  and 1600 -1900.... but cars won't use them at other times as no one reads the signs .. So bikes use them anyway ...
Salford has suspended the bus lanes  ...but car drivers don't use them, as above .. :haha:
   It is madness that some cities allow , others don't and in London so boroughs do , some don't ..

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 00:34:22 »
Just thought I would bring this back to your attention before it gets lost.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 19:49:28 »
After I completed the on line document I posted a comment to ask You Tuber "the Dirty Garage bloke" a.k.a. Matt at the Workshop to support this issue by giving it some publicity.
I was disappointed to see his response was :-
"  I don't see the case here. Bus lanes are bus lanes, if a council want to choose if bikes can use them or not, then they have their reasons. What's the argument? "
No detectable support for the motorcycling community here then.  I am no longer a subscriber although I doubt he cares about that either.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 20:01:07 »
That bloke is a class 1 bell end. He's intelligent that's for sure, but the language he uses' really lets himself down.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 20:00:33 »
The internet is full of them, most of the class one 'helmets' seem to be on 'X' these days...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'