Author Topic: The grass is always greener...  (Read 3582 times)

Offline 100thidiot

The grass is always greener...
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:57 »
Popped into Sainsburys on my way to home to grab some bits and as I was loading up my Vstrom with all my shopping I was checking out a (imo) a very nice F650 GS.  I do like those bikes and if I was twice as rich as I am now I might have considered buying one.

Then a bloke wanders over and I realise its his bike, I quickly put my tongue back in my mouth (cos of the bike not the bloke :shy: ) and say hi.  We get chatting and start talking about his bike.

Turns out he wishes he had bought a V Strom, and some of his mates think the same!  :grin:   I was moaning about the cheapo finish on the bike and he replies "Well... just because it says BMW on the side doesn't mean its any better" and then he gets started on the comedy servicing prices for his bike.  

The moral of the story - I guess I learned that no bike is perfect and if a GS owner is drooling over my bike and wishing he had one I think I can forgive the crappy Suzuki finish and be a happy bunny cos my bike was half the price  :thumb:

Anonymous

Re: The grass is always greener...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 16:36:32 »
When are people going to stop spreading this urban myth that Suzuki's are the worst bikes for corrosion. Its bollox, they are no different to any Jap bike. I've had Kwaks, Yams, and Hondas and Triumphs in my 34 years of biking and they all corrode if you don't look after them. Honda may be slightly better, but it really is only slightly, and it certainly isn't better enough to justify Honda's premium prices.
Most people that slag Suzukis finish only do so because they've fallen for the myth that every other bike manufacturer is better.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 19:08:18 »
It's a good point made, the finish on most Jap bikes is pretty much of a muchness. I've found some Honda's are particularly well put together (VFR800, Blackbird, Africa Twin), but some are at best average. I had a Yamaha XJR1200 years ago and it was the best put together bike I've had, three years of use and no corrosion. It still looked like new when I sold it, perhaps I just got a good 'one ? Some of my mates have had BMW's that have looked like they've been vandalised with only 20,000 miles on the clock ! Only my mate Peter (noted for bad luck) had the most immaculate Ducati 916 as it had three (yes, 3) engines in the first 1,000 miles and spent most of it's time in the dealers !!! Yep, V-Stroms do corrode but I think a lot of it is because we're so keen to ride them and they work in ALL conditions. Keep riding safe   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline 100thidiot

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 19:12:08 »
Quote from: "Jasper"
Suzuki's are the worst bikes for corrosion.
Most people that slag Suzukis finish only do so because they've fallen for the myth that every other bike manufacturer is better.

I wasn't talking about corrosion exactly, more rubbing ...  See below my (ex) Suzuki SV 650 2000 which was mine until I converted to a Vstrom, now abused by my bf.  Note the lack of wear and tear on the metal.  This bike is 10 years old, has been commuted (rain or shine) on by me for well over 1 month.

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... ure006.jpg

Now compare with my NEW 2010 reg Vstrom 650 which I got my hands on 1 March 2010 and have been commuting on (rain or shine), and playing on nealry every day since:

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... ure003.jpg

As far as I'm concerned its not a myth, but I see it every day just before I get on the bike.  How come my new bike doesn't make it past 1 month before the the black stuff starts deterorating?  I'd call that a ****** finish  :shrug:   Also, as both these are Suzuki's, is it fair to say the older bikes are better made than the newer ones?  I can't really comment as I have only ridden 5 different bikes, the SV being the oldest ...

Please don't misunderstand I love my V Strom to bits (I loved the SV just alil bit less than my strom), but after deciding that buying a new bike was a good idea, I kind of resent it looking tatty after a few weeks :bawl:

Oh, and as I haven't posted it here yet my sexy V strom in all its paint-rubbed-slightly-off-frame glory  :grin:  (still with nasty stickers atm as I don't own a haridryer lol)
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... ure005.jpg

Offline Dracula

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 19:21:57 »
I was wondering how to get rid of my nasty stickers, is this the answer, a hairdryer??
"There are no ugly women..... Just not enough Vodka!"

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 19:29:11 »
Quote from: "dracula73"
I was wondering how to get rid of my nasty stickers, is this the answer, a hairdryer??

Yep... hairdryer is the way to go. They just peel off as easy as anything.
You may have a thin line of adhesive where the edge of the sticker was.... just wipe with a cloth with a bit of WD40 on it.

Offline 100thidiot

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 19:32:02 »

Yeah I think so, I was watching the blokes in the dealers use a hairdryer to melt the glue a bit and then peel off all in one go, then I went home and thought I would try and remove a few but only managed to remove my tank sticker by hand.  Felt like such a tit - took me bloody ages ###

The dealers made it look real easy - although there may have been a cruitial stage before "blast with hairdryer", best ask someone who has done this themselves lol...

Offline Dracula

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 19:33:11 »
Thanks jasper, that's tomorrows job sorted.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 19:35:46 »
The paint rubbing off is just the design of the frame where the inside of your boot touches it. Any bike frame from any bike manufacturer would lose the paint if you kept chafing it with your boot. Just put some carbon look sheet cut to shape over it. Or the other options like Banditmania stickers or Marks frame protectors.
Often you have to add stuff to bikes to protect them.... and this can be the case for every bike manufacturer.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 19:47:28 »
can understand where the f650 bloke was coming from, I owned an 1150 gs, sold it after
4 months.The good or bad reputation of a lot of bikes is exaggerated by the biking media
and its then like a snowball effect.
Go on ukgser.com and see how many horror stories are on there.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 19:47:52 »
Quote from: "100thidiot"

Yeah I think so, I was watching the blokes in the dealers use a hairdryer to melt the glue a bit and then peel off all in one go, then I went home and thought I would try and remove a few but only managed to remove my tank sticker by hand.  Felt like such a tit - took me bloody ages ###

The dealers made it look real easy - although there may have been a cruitial stage before "blast with hairdryer", best ask someone who has done this themselves lol...

If you don't get it hot enough it won't peel off taking the adhesive with it. The hairdryer needs to be a couple of inches away from the sticker and keep feeling how much heat is on it with your hand. You don't want it too hot to touch but you need to be able to feel a lot of heat on it.

Offline 100thidiot

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 20:07:00 »
Often you have to add stuff to bikes to protect them.... and this can be the case for every bike manufacturer.

OK, I'll shut up now... but am I really the only person out there that resents that?  Seeing as my bike was designed to be ridden by a person with two feet and y'know shoes ... oh and also move those shoes to brake and change gear.

While I'm on the subject of dodgy looking bits on my bit I noticed this while I was taking pictures earlier - is this normal?  If any more experienced bods out there can tell if this is a problem or just cosmetic it would really be appreciated!

Its kind of cracked and feels raised to the touch resulting in nice places for dirt n crap to stick too.  Looks kind of bad to me - to but I'm a big noob.  I would tell you which part of the bike it is but to be honest I'm not sure what it does, its just underneath the engine and you can just make out the gear lever (oh the shame - I so need a Haynes manual).

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... ure004.jpg

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 20:16:38 »
Quote from: "100thidiot"

OK, I'll shut up now... but am I really the only person out there that resents that?  Seeing as my bike was designed to be ridden by a person with two feet and y'know shoes ... oh and also move those shoes to brake and change gear.

My 30K camper van has the rubber covers wearing on the pedals, and if I don't put rubber car mats in front of the pedals the carpet starts wearing.
And this started happening after only one year of driving it.... its disgusting how these manufacturers expect us to put with wear.  :wink:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 20:54:12 »
Isn't wear good ? If bikes didn't wear secondhand ones wouldn't be cheaper then new ??? Just a thought...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Dracula

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 21:03:06 »
Good luck with finding a haynes manual for the 650. Let me know if you find one.

Offline 100thidiot

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 22:23:08 »
Good luck with finding a haynes manual for the 650. Let me know if you find one.

Hmm.. see what you mean.  I saw a pile of Haynes manuals at the dealers and didn't have time to rummage - just assumed it was the 650 as they don't sell 1000 any more... quick search online and they don't exist..  Oh well, I guess I can forget about ever attempting any jobs bigger than oil change/air filter :(

Quote from: "2112"
Isn't wear good ? If bikes didn't wear secondhand ones wouldn't be cheaper then new ??? Just a thought...

lol wear is good yes, it allowed me to buy second hand bikes cheap but apparently I'm a freak for thinking the paint shouldn't rub off in 2 weeks, or that maybe once in the 5yrs plus of making this bike no-one at Suzuki said Hello that's crap, lets fix it :crazy:

My 30K camper van has the rubber covers wearing on the pedals ...
And this started happening after only one year of driving it....

So your telling me if rubber wore through to metal in a smidge over 600 mile (2 weeks) you wouldn't think at least once, meh, well that's ****... did I buy the wrong cheapass car (bike or whatever)?  I expect wear for sure, some of the most memorable cars I have owned are the most knackered ones.  My first car was an Austin Mastro and I swear it was held together by mold and dirt but for £50 I didn't care..  but as for new maybe my standards are waaay to high lol  :shrug:

Offline Sven

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 22:47:40 »

I tried the hairdrier but it didn't seem to work very well. Found it better to park the bike in the sun for a couple of hours then they just peeled off easily. Only problem is you've got to wait for summer & some sun............ :shock:

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 23:30:43 »
them stickers  can be   real tricky    ..itried allsorts  but   .heat   meths  acitone solution  ...  believe it or not  auto glym tar remover with  a bit of heat first   did the best job  for me ..it really good stuff   ..great for baked on  crap on the engine casings  and exhast   too      :thumb:
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 23:37:18 »
[quote="
Its kind of cracked and feels raised to the touch resulting in nice places for dirt n crap to stick too.  Looks kind of bad to me - to but I'm a big noob.  I would tell you which part of the bike it is but to be honest I'm not sure what it does, its just underneath the engine and you can just make out the gear lever (oh the shame - I so need a Haynes manual).

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy12 ... ure004.jpg[/quote]
  its just shite off  :grin: the chain and front sprocket     you can blast it off  with degreaser and a power wash   ..or  just let it cover to a  nice uniform  used oil  colour   :)))
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 00:27:12 »
100thIdiot - that is exactly what happened to my bike over Easters big ride  :GRR:
I'm taking it to George Whites tomorrow, but the bloke on the phone said Suzuki will put it down to fair wear and tear (after & months and 3300 miles  ### ).

Stu