Author Topic: How to clean Oxidised engine cases??  (Read 998 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
How to clean Oxidised engine cases??
« on: August 17, 2021, 21:46:06 »
My son (42) and on the big side, has aquired an 08 Honda Varadero 125 in order to get back onto a motorcycle. The bike had done about 13000 miles in 13 years and, as I supected when I saw it, has spent more time in a shed than on the road. The engine crank / main cases are in need of a clean up. the outer cases are not too bad but the inner case is a bit furry.  Does anyone know of a method / product that will sort out this issue. And what the best way to protect it. All this without removing the engine.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: How to clean Oxidised engine cases??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 22:50:32 »
Some of the alloy wheel cleaners are useful at getting the fluffy oxidation off: it's the ones with the most warnings that you're after as they contain the good stuff.

About your only option in place is a rattle can paint job - protect the bits you don't want sprayed as best you can (or as much as you can be bothered). Other than that, you could just resort to dosing it all with some oily rust prevention potion but a layer of paint is better at keeping the water away from the alloy in the first place.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!