Author Topic: Paint rubbing off the frame  (Read 1650 times)

Offline 100thidiot

Paint rubbing off the frame
« on: March 16, 2010, 13:18:05 »
Hi all,

Well I have had my new Strom just over two weeks - was delivered Sat 27 Feb and had to sit on my driveway till I could legally ride it, because of the new reg.  My bike just had its first service last weekend, and has just under 900 miles on it.  Loving the Wee, apart from the head buffeting thing - I haven't found a setting on the screen which works for me yet but that's no big deal.

But, and I am quite concerned about this, the paint is already rubbing off the frame  :GRR:  I can't post pictures at the moment, but I will *try* when I get home.  Its not a huge area, but if this is result after 2 weeks, I dread to think what my bike is going to look like in 2 months...

I wear Sidi boots with textile trousers over the top, there are no zips or button which could have caused this.  So I think this is a result of plastic and textile rubbing on the metal... is this normal??  My previous bike was a 2000 SV650 which, to be fair, does not have a black frame, but it seems they don't make em like they used to  :shrug:

what's bothering me is that if Suzuki know they are skimping on cheap crappy paint for the frame, why not just leave it as is, why paint it at all if its going to look really ***** in just over two weeks.

So, any suggestions as to how to stop this getting worse?  Anybody here had similar problems?

Do I stand a chance of getting the dealers to do something about it?  My bike is under warranty but the dealers said normal wear and tear is not covered.  I wouldn't call it 'normal' but, after reading V strom forums, apparently for Suzuki it is...  ###

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Paint rubbing off the frame
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 13:48:32 »
Bandit mania have a product for this, I haven't actually seen them but they look nice here:

http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/Suzuki-vstrom-DL1000-DL650-frame-covers-set-of-2-1249-p.asp

Online 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 16:15:48 »
Nice, I like the black ones, good spot  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 19:45:33 »
Or you could go for some snazzy stainless steel ones from Cymarc.

Check out this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3374

ps. you might want to put your bike in your forum profile
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 100thidiot

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:51 »
Nice one, thanks for the replies.

Both those protectors look just like what I need!