Author Topic: Breaking in advice needed  (Read 1753 times)

Offline 100thidiot

Breaking in advice needed
« on: March 01, 2010, 13:02:48 »
Hi all,

Had my new Wee delivered on Saturday and have spent all weekend counting down the seconds till midnight sunday when I could legally ride on the road and then went for a little midnight ride till 2am hehe...   :shy:

I have a question for anyone who has bought a wee new and the breaking in...  Do I have to be really OCD about not going over the rev range, I believe it was 5k revs for the first 600 miles?  Its just I find myself far to eager to go faster and I have to keep easing off as I slowly creep up the revs.  I really don't want to break my new toy and was hoping someone here could help.

Apart from being nervous about revs, I absolutley love the wee.  I was a bit worried it was going to be a tiny bit too tall, but I feel really solid and stable on this bike.  Its SO much easier to handle than my SV650, which everyone said was easy to ride.  I think the Vstrom is a perfect bike for noobs, well, maybe tall noobs  :grin:  I was convinced I would drop it within the first hour, but so far so good - stayed rubber side down :thumb:

Anonymous

Re: Breaking in advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 13:57:49 »
I've broken in all  my new bikes by the book... maybe occasionally going over the maximum revs by 500 revs or so. I personally don't believe its good to do long stints at fixed revs though, you need to be constantly using the total rev range up to the maximum allowed as per running in, so I steer clear of motorways when running in.
There is a school of thought though, that believes its better for the motor, and will give the best power in an engine after, by thrashing it from the start.
I personally couldn't bring myself to experiment with this theory.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 14:36:39 »
Do as Your told, laddie :grin: It'll be done in no time, then you can screw it's little bollocks off till your heart is content!

Offline GrandadsV

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 19:11:13 »
As Jasper say's, watch the revs and make sure you use the gearbox to keep the engine spinning over, don,t let it bog down and slog along at the bottom of the rev range :thumb:
Dick

"Spike Malignant" That well known typing error.

Offline mechcanico lee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 22:13:01 »
Make the engine work....load it and let it unload, squirt it throught the gears, if you go over the rev range it won't harm it  .....I am not saying screw the balls off it but going over by a thousand or so will not bother it.....in fact just the opposite it will bed down better.

google motoman on engine break in , its quite interesting :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 23:28:24 »
My break in beliefs are pretty much summed up in this aricle:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Same one mechcanico lee is refering to I think.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Backdraft

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 23:58:05 »
100% better to slightly over rev if needed than under rev and allow the engine to stuggle this will really hurt the engine.  Even in this ultra modern times we still tell our customers to use the gears for the first 500-600 miles and just be 'normal' and reap the benefits !!!  Good luck and I'm sure it won't tell take you long  :grin:
life is for living

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:20 »
I'm with the last 3 posts - you need to get those piston rings properly bedded in and that means acceleration and deceleration
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas