Author Topic: Anakee 2  (Read 32371 times)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Anakee 2
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 23:09:00 »
I found the Michelins turn faster than the Deathwings!

I love the Anakee's now!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 13:29:09 »
The Anakees turn a lot faster than then the Trailwings, you'll get use to it quickly :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 17:31:49 »
Good news, thank you.  

The first 26 mile commute today was a learning experience.   I previously dropped the forks as prescribed by others and noticed some improvement whilst the TrailWings were still on.  Now I am getting the full benefit with the Anakee on the front.  It's so agile it feels like a sports bike. Light and nippy.   I'll now have to find loads of turns and curves to go and practice on......  
:auto-dirtbike:

Offline Steve33

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:27:25 »
I fitted Anakee 2s to my last bike (650 Transalp).

Great tyre in all road conditions, and scrubbed in very quickly.

Only downside I noticed was a serious increase in handlebar vibration - it was bad enough that I had the shop re-check the balance on the wheels.

After a few thousand miles either it calmed down, or I just got used to it (or the nerve damage meant I couldn't feel it anymore!).

Has anyone experienced this on the 'Strom?
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 11:40:31 »
Some people have reported increased vibration with them, come to think about it, that's the only bad thing I ever heard about them. I don't notice anything myself, maybe it's the budget stock suspension combined with the Anakee?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:05 »
no increase in vibration on my stock wee.
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 12:01:38 »
Something else then, tyre pressure? I run my front at 33-34psi and rear at 38-40psi.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 13:33:26 »
possibly some people that say no vibration had trail tyres on before the Anakee's hence no better or worse.

I had trailwings then Pilots roads, then the anakees.

I noticed the trailwings were very similar to the anakees vibration wise, Anakees slightly better. but the handling with the Pilot Roads was silky smooth. no vibration at all.

so it might me a perspective thing, I defiantly noticed more vibration going from road Tyres to trail ones. but I'll be putting Anakee's on again!  :auto-dirtbike:

Ride Coordinator

Offline frez

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 13:52:43 »
By the time I come to change mine in a couple of months the Pilot Road 3s should be widely available in wee sizes and as I only ride on road I'm wondering whether they will be worth the ~£30 price premium over the Anakee 2s/
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Steve33

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 14:17:23 »
Now I think about it, my Transalp did have road-only tyres (Pirelli Scorpions IIRC) so hopefully won't notice too much difference when I change from my Tourances later this year.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline islandtiger

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 01:24:25 »
To garyeldridge

I recently had the same problem as you required new front tyre yet the rear (battlewing) has only done 1500 miles

I spoke to several tyre dealers and more than 1 stated I would be OK to fit the Anakee on front and leave the rear alone. I have a 57 vee and am nearly always 2 up--at present I have had no problems having the 2 different makes of tyre---suppose though it depends how how the bike is ridden etc

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 22:39:48 »
Quote from: "Georgeharrier"
Quote from: "cearnshaw"
220 fitted ride-in + balanced, SMD Leigh

Not a bad price, I paid £240 ride in ride out, but that was near at GS Tyres near Reading where everything cost a lot more than up T`north. :violin:
Good service there and is you get an MOT or work done there mech only charges about £35 an hour which is good for around here.

George

Been using GS Tyres for a few years now.  They are a little dearer than some, but they also do a mobile service and will turn out to a puncture if need be.  Its handy for tyre changes to as Gary comes to my house or work to change tyres for me.  My 2 sons use his services to.
don't mind paying a little extra if I get good service.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:50 »
Totaly agree Kieth, Gary always gives good service at a compedative price. he will also come out to our marina if you have a problem. His servicing cost are also a lot better than many local dealers.

+1 for GS

After covering over 1800 miles since getting the Anakees fitted I have no complaits at all. The grip in the wet and dry is good and there seems to be a lot more positive feedback from the road than with the OEM Tyres.
Had a bit of rough riding around a bust up runway and the grip on the was good and had no problems at all. Very happy with them and will probably stick with them until something better comes along.  :auto-dirtbike:

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:57 »
I bet you almost fell over the first time you turned with the Anakees, the Trailwings just do not want to turn easily.

Offline Sparx

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 17:28:00 »
Just fitted Anakees after 10,000 on original trailwings, which I could not fault once I had dropped forks through yokes 15mm. (to make it turn sharper).
Only fitted them now as due run to Germany soon, plus first MOT due next week and although still legal rear was getting near wear bars.
First short trip seems OK but due to 'pips' a bit skittish, need to burn them off before wet weather catches me out! :rain:
Cost £230 the pair plus £24 fitting at Watling Tyres Ashford Kent, who treated wheels with greatest respect!
Rode fast - Too old to 'die young'!

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 19:37:34 »
I had anakee 2s fitted last week (previously trail wings on) before riding across the uk and down to the alps on the autoroutes and then  1 wet day and 3 dry days in the alps. I'm no riding hero (alas) but initial observations are:

Felt less stable at speed on the motorway - never felt bad, just a bit less stable than the trail wings;

Had a couple of nasty twitches in the wet at relative low speed in town - enough to cause me to involuntarily press the horn the second time.  Not great 5 mins before going over a very exposed mountain pass in slush!!

They have cornered fantastically in the dry - lots of confidence and turn really well.

Shallow profile and lots of hairpins flatter to deceive (no chicken strips left on the back tyre :-)

All in all pretty happy but wondering if a pure road tyre might have been better in the wet (I never go off road on this bike).

Offline meathead

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 19:00:22 »
hello fellow stromers.
           the tourance pair I had on my '53' 1000 were in need of renewal, 8.5k but nicely squared off on the rear making the ride....... 'interesting'. I read the forums on the anakee 2, reviewed them and compared them to the usuals. liked what I read and have a lovely new pair on the beast, once I got to non square tyres again and rubbed the coating off I have found 'I LOVE EM' what a differant ride, cornering in greasy/damp and full on wet feels a damn site more grippy than the tourance ever did.. thanks for the imput blokes n galls..... MEATHEAD

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 19:52:33 »
Yeah, meathead, I second that...getting anakee 2's out of next years budget since the bikes just passed its Mot on original trailwings and I don't ride as much in the winter. Getting on basis of honest, thoughtful reviews on here.  :ty: Will get em on well before Stromtrek III at end of March. that's the plan anyways.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 17:44:22 »
My rear Anakee has lots of little cuts in it after the last Stromtrekkers so you might want to leave the Trailwing on the rear (if you don't need a rear yet) and let it take the punishment. I don't know if anyone else had the same thing and it's only on the rear, the front is fine so you could put a Anakee on the front to make the bike steer properly again. Then again, the cuts aren't serious at all, doesn't cause any problems and are almost worn away again.

Offline DEF2001

• Bike: 2015 V-strom 1000
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 19:24:00 »
Just ridden in the wet for the first time on my Wee which has Deathwings and I can see why they got there reputation. Pulling out from a wet roundabout into a gap I gave it half throttle in 1st gear then as I tipped in to go left the back end completely stepped out I caught it but the driver behind me much have thought I was a speedway rider showing off. I think I will be switching to road pilots pretty soon although I will put his one down to me being not used to the low down torque of the wee so will give the deathwings more of a go.