Author Topic: Advice please folks  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
Advice please folks
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:40:58 »
Apologies if this has come up before.

My trailwings have finally been killed off at 5500mls of pleasure riding.
A change of job means the bike will be being used for a 25 mile a day commute (not huge mileage) but I really want to fit something with a little more off road ability.
What would you blokes recommend?
TKC 70's look nice but there doesn't seem to be allot of people using them.

The commute will be on A roads; as for the offroad it is lanes etc nothing crazy but I found the trailwings failed the bikes ability.

Thank you
2008 650

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Advice please folks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:11:05 »
If you're talking of commuting and off road... they are mutually exclusive to some degree.

Commuting road biased tyres will give you the best possible mileage, excellent wet and cold(ish) grip. But be worth zero on anything other than Tarmac and concrete.
More aggressive tread patterns with be of use offroad but they will compromise the grip and handling onroad. Some will plainly be scary on tarmac.
I got 6k from the oem trailwings on my wee and the Varadero. I got 9k from Pilot road 1's (discontinued long ago) and Anakee 2's (currently fitted to the Vara).
I've used Heidenau k60 and Mitas E07 both gave around 5-6k usable life before the squared off badly and needed to be replaced.

Offroad tyres have a far softer compound that road tyres, they squirm around and will wear far faster than a road tyre and you'll be changing them far more often than something like Pilot Road 4's.

It's your choice what you fit... I've taken the strom green laning and trail riding with Heidenau k60 and the mitas e07, but the strom is a fat girl and not that suited to riding offroad, not that you can't but it's bloody heavy to pick up.

The TKC70 are conti's take on a 80/20 tyre like the Anakee 2 used to be where the TKC80 was a 50/50.
I looked at the TKC70 for if I couldn't get Anakee 2's. I'll be looking around for the 70's when my anakee's die soon. A few of the local trail riders group like the TKC70s on their bigger road bikes.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
Re: Advice please folks
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 20:23:57 »
Thanks for that, since I killed these in 5k miles if something more aggressive will manage that I would be happy.
It will be 120 miles a week commuting between Macclesfield and Congleton so shouldn't square off to much.
I am just hoping the trailwings hold out the next 2 weeks going to Halifax everyday.... Don't have time to do anything with them till then.

Any 80/20, 70/30 tyres people would recommend?
2008 650