Author Topic: Welding  (Read 2697 times)

Offline 03guyjam

Welding
« on: March 13, 2016, 19:02:22 »
Hi blokes + Gals,

I've recently bought an mx5 mk1 and would like to start learning how to weld, does anyone have anytips or could possibly teach/show me a few basics (I can pay or feed you beer)?

Things I would to weld at some point but not until I get good... Wheel arches and sills. Anyone with an old car will know how gorgeous they look with winter weather :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

James

Offline Esmerelda

Re: Welding
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 19:57:28 »
Hi James
I signed up for evening classes at my local college, gas, mig and tig worth every penny.

Best Regards

Esme 
The older I get, the faster I was!

Offline plumber02

• Bike: DL1000-K8 wr450f
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 20:58:41 »
by the time you've bought a mig plant ( you'll not need tig plus it takes a while to be able to do it ) , gas ,sheild with auto glass, gloves ,some kind of cream for all the burns and wire x2 because you'll use up the first spool just trying to set it up also the electric bill it would be cheaper to give it to someone who can weld, 

Offline Wayne_202

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 21:04:22 »
Best thing to do is just have a go, I found it fairly easy at the start of trying to make it look good and not just string that's the art. To start off with Seam sealer will be your best friend to smarten up any rough edges  :thumb:

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 21:37:03 »
It's also in my list of things to learn. I've had a go on my step dads gear, I can't remember much about what he said other than it should or shouldn't sound like bacon frying, I don't remember which.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 22:02:49 »
I bought one of the Ark welders from Lidl a few years back.

Watched a few youtude vids, and promptly set my hair on fire.

I found some old rusty tools that were never going to be used again and started joining them all together. Great fun until you find you wanted one of the metal files in the middle of your sculpture.

I did a fair bit of welding with it on the frame of my CX500 project. I got OK on it when I figured out what setting the machine needed to be on for different welding rods.

The machine I bought was only a small hobby one, with a short working cycle, meaning it would overheat quite quickly and took an age to cool down, to be able to use it again. I started using a desk fan to help cool it while in use which helped. Better machines have fans, longer working cycles and more power to do more things. I think mine is around 80amp, but does for the messing around and basic stuff I wanted it for. I did blow a few holes in the frame of the CX500... not great, but I did repair them.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Twiggy

• Bike: KLV1000
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 22:07:56 »
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/
Have a look at this. Very good forum.

My own experience is I bought an old land rover and needed to learn to weld.
The advice I can give is buy a MIG welder and go to a local metal shop for off cuts and practice, practice practice.
Sizzling bacon is a good noise when you're welding properly.
Neil

Offline Ricky1000

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 22:17:14 »
I learned to weld at night classes a few years ago. Started with the basic course enjoyed it so much completed the advanced course as well. I would strongly advise attending a course before spending any money on equiptment. I have saved so much money being able to repair equiptment that would have otherwise have had to been relpaced.
Keep her lit

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 07:40:35 »
I learned to use a MIG by watching others and then having a go myself. I've had a few 70's, 80's & 90's Alfas over the years so got plenty of practice....
You will start off leaving welds that look like something ran through them before they could cold, but it is pretty straightforward once you get your head around wire feed rate & current.
If you're doing bodywork then I'd advise against stick welding as you will blow more holes than the machine at a grater factory & the heat will warp the panels. MIG is your best bet. And a good grinder. And bodyfiller...

Sizzling bacon is a good noise when you're welding properly.
As long as it's just the sound: smelling bacon can mean a blob of excess weld has dropped on you, not that I've had to pick a blob out of my own leg.....  :whistle:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline skipper

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 16:08:40 »
get a mig, it is by far the easiest form of welding. a little practice and you will be happy with the results.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 21:32:18 »
MIGs can be picked up quite cheap these days and work well once you've got the knack. I've also got a Mk1 MX5. Great fun and the most bike like car I've ever driven. Are even warm in the winter with the hood down. Have fun...

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 20:06:43 »
Quote removed

Another vote for the mig welding forum, good advice on buying and using welders, also some great tutorials.