Author Topic: Thinking about a scooter...  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Mick_P

Thinking about a scooter...
« on: October 15, 2015, 20:54:17 »
There is a possibility (and only that at the mo) that I may be forced to changed what I ride due to an old injury. I know this might be the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have any ideas on what might be a reasonable scooter? Thinking about a Burgman 400/650 but open to ideas.

I don't want to stop riding bikes but a spinal cord injury from 34 years ago is catching up and causing problems getting on/off the Vee and anything over 100 miles leads to serious pain and even bigger problems getting on/off!
Blue AN400, Connie III
Proud Yorkshire/Welshman
Don't follow me, I'm usually lost.....
Caution, ABBA fan!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Thinking about a scooter...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 20:55:27 »
There are some detailed 650 Burgman reviews on here somewhere. Have a search for them  :thumb:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 21:04:14 »
I had a Honda SH300i which was great. It's the size of a 125 (great for filtering) but will accelerate to 80mph no problem. Would buy another one.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:49:55 »
The old boy swapped a Guzzi Nevarida for the 400 Burgervan. Couldn't be happier. Fast, reliable, lots of really useful features. I wouldn't take one too far up dirt tracks, but beyond that they do everything you could possibly want except match some odd image thing most of us seem to have got stuck with.

Andy

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:54:06 »
Me and Jacko had a good nose around the Burgmans at the NEC a few years back.
Very practical bits of kit, comfy and plenty of space to store your handbag (or so the mrs says)
Loads and loads of gadgets, and they will accelerate well, cruise well and are rock solid at motorway speeds.

I've been riding around the Gower and a few 'older' gentlemen were zooming along ahead of me and I had a good little chat with them in Port Eynon. They really liked the practicality but they were still fun to ride.

I've been looking at something 200-300cc for back and for to work but the mrs says no.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:36:21 »
My best advice :
Test ride
Test ride
Test ride
and then check out any relevant forums for the downsides of a particular model.
I once had a Yamaha TMax.
After a while I felt it was wider and the saddle taller than it needed to be. The result was that it was not the "easy get on step-through" I was hoping for. The riding position was a little cramped and there was very little shuffle room on the seat.
It was very thirsty (40mpg) and there were things like drive belts and their cooling filters that needs regular changing. I liked the way it beat almost everything away from the lights and it handled really well.

I will try a scooter before hanging up my boots. I like the look of the Burgman 400 (I won't need a 650 by the time I need a scooter).
Given my opening remarks, I will be looking for a 100 miles test ride and I will check out fuel consumption and service intervals / items and their costs.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mick_P

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 18:28:16 »
Thanks blokes, good advice there and I appreciate the mention of the TMax, that's the second time I've heard it described like that. It all comes down to money, as usual, so I'm going to be looking at an older model whatever I go for. I have a friend who has an Aprilia Atlantic 500 who thinks nothing of popping down to see me - a distance of 280 miles for the round trip. Leaning towards a Burgman I think.
Blue AN400, Connie III
Proud Yorkshire/Welshman
Don't follow me, I'm usually lost.....
Caution, ABBA fan!