Author Topic: Long weekend in Glasgow  (Read 1481 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Long weekend in Glasgow
« on: May 29, 2013, 18:52:03 »
Heading off up to Glasgow for the weekend with the Mrs on Thursday. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza (next to the SEC) and it's the mighty RUSH on stage tomorrow night ! Getting quite excited, despite the fact I've seen them well over twenty times over a period of 34 years ! We're booked into a couple of nice eateries on Friday & Saturday night and the Mrs wants to go shopping on Friday (gawd help the credit card....).
Any ideas for Saturday during the day ? Is it reasonable to travel up to Oban and back in about 7 hours or is that a bit of a scramble ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. already been to the Auchentoshan Distillery, but I could be tempted to go again...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline John

Re: Long weekend in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 23:42:12 »
Assuming you have a car, Oban would be a bit of a rush, but do-able, not much time for looking round, (there's not a shitload to see). However, if you go up the side of Loch Lomond to Tyndrum, (Green Wellie Stop), you could also go to Glencoe, (very pretty).
Try the transport museum or the Science Center, although that's better with a kid in tow.
It's better to regret something you've done, than something you haven't done.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:22 »
Could be rain in the west on Sat. I'd jump on the train/bike/car and spend some time in Edinburgh instead.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:33 »
Apart from the mighty Rush, there's stuff in Glasgow I'd love to see

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/o ... /home.aspx

The Burrell Collection, for instance. Those impressionists were great, man! (Though I do suspect a whole day would be mind-numbing).

:shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Jeff999

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:16:31 »
I thought that Rory Bremner bloke was brilliant too Gassoon. :shy:  lol

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:13 »
I'll be in Glasgow on Saturday...have to collect the offspring & their collection of student [s:3av7l2ts]junk[/s:3av7l2ts] stuff from University so I'll be in the car.

The wife & I are contemplating leaving early to go to Culzean castle in Ayrshire in the morning then collecting student son in the afternoon. Not sure yet as she has to go in for minor surgery tomorrow afternoon...so she may be at home and I'll be making the trip on my own.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 13:55:01 »
Order a kebab and see how long you last before puking!

Thankfully , you are in the good end of Glasgow , there is the ship around there if that interests you , there are a good few museums , the science centre , Burrel collection , the school of art (Charles Rennie Mackintosh), Transport museum. The IMAX cinema is in the Science centre too , used to be the biggest screen in the UK.

Apart from kebab shops , chippies and neds , not much else really.

Most of the entertainment is to be found in a pub during the night. Glaswegians love a drink.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 15:05:51 »
Quote from: "jimbo8098"
Most of the entertainment is to be found in a pub during the night. Glaswegians love a drink.

How very dare you!

Offline 2112

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 16:22:33 »
Had a grand weekend, RUSH were amazing and getting better with age, 40 years next year ! We had a run up to Loch Lomond and stopped off at Luss which is a very picturesque village although it was heaving with folks as there was a large wedding on. We then nipped over to Lochearnhead and then back into Glasgow following the Clyde. On Saturday we went to the Kelvinside Museum and the Transport Museum, both very interesting, especially the mk21 Spitfire hanging from the ceiling in the Kelvinside. Sadly, there was a fashion show on so I had to watch loads of fit birds (with miserable faces) strutting up and down on impossibly high heels, ho hum...

Back to work for three days and then off to Canada and the USA for three and a half weeks. It's a hard life !

Offline Sven

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 22:59:58 »
Quote from: "2112"
Had a grand weekend, RUSH were amazing and getting better with age, 40 years next year

Oh come on 2112.... Call yourself a Rush fan.  :neen:
Rush formed in august 1968, which means they've already been playing together for 45 years. Just because they didn't release an album til 1974 doesn't mean diddly squat. :neen:

Only kidding...I'm just jealous cause I didn't get to see them this time around. I know what a cracking show they put on. In fact I haven't seen them since the Snakes & Arrows tour so am well over-due. Oh well, next time maybe...

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 00:15:52 »
I just can't get into their newer stuff. Most post-Moving Pictures stuff seems a bit soul-less. Bring back Lakeside Park and By-Tor and the Snow Dog etc any day! (Moving Pictures is good though - esp Red Barchetta.)

Offline 2112

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:49:55 »
I have to say the 'early or 'late' debate is a common theme. The new stuff off the last album, Clockwork Angels performed live with a string ensemble was amazing. The roof lifted with Spirit of the Radio and 2112 though  :lala: