Author Topic: What socks  (Read 4448 times)

Offline donny1972

What socks
« on: January 16, 2012, 20:27:24 »
Iam looking for a decent pair of waterproof socks and was just wondering  if anybody on here has got any or would recommend any. I know you can get Oxford chillout socks,sealskins also do waterproof socks and you can also get british army goretex ones. Hope somebody can help.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
Re: What socks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 21:19:51 »
I'm pretty sure both Juvecu and hutchie have sealskins. I think I remember them testing them out in the stream at the campsite on Stromtrekkers I
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 21:31:58 »
I have a pair of sealskinz they work very well on the pushbike, don't need 'em on the strom though, my HG Ralleye GTX II boots are still waterproof in their third winter of use  :auto-dirtbike:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Sven

What socks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 21:52:02 »
I've got sealskinz socks & gloves (use the gloves when walking the dog - not on the bike!!!). Both are very good. They're not  cheap though- the socks are about £20-25.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 22:06:28 »
I got a pair for x mas a few years ago, but they made things too uncomfortable. now in very heavy rain I put my feet in plastic bags, I swear, and nice and dry now.... boots smell OK too lol.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:43:40 »
I have 3 pairs of the military issue Sealskinz socks, bought them from eBay. They are calve height and that's perfect for the boots I have.

On ST1 I tested them by standing in a freezing cold river for about 5 minutes. My feet were completely dry and the best thing was that I couldn't even feel any cold (I get an instant brain freeze when my feet go into cold water.) Hutchie had some other brand of socks, they were waterproof too, longer, but they let the cold through after a few mins (I think they were for use with MX boots in warmer weather.)

I use the socks in cold weather and they keep my feet warm and dry (even after almost 2 hours in the dead of winter last year.) My boots aren't waterproof and I've put off buying new boots for more than a year now because the socks mean I don't need waterproof boots. I keep one pair of socks in my top box for unexpected rain and the other two pairs I use. You can machine wash them (I only ever wash them in cold water), but don't tumble dry them.

The links below are proof of the water walking deed :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/szafers/Vs ... 8574070018
https://picasaweb.google.com/szafers/Vs ... 9532832802

I'd recommend them to anyone who wants waterproof socks, in fact, I'd recommend any Sealskinz product.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 00:50:51 »
that was great , looking at those photos again. I crossed the stream, Juv couldn't for grinning and looking for people who could come and admire him.

I used to do enduro's , where you can get in rivers and such for a bit. Got sealskinz from a horse shop I believe at the time, about 20 notes. Trouble I found were, my feet were bone dry, but the boots held the water in, so it was still like having freezing wet feet after a while. They are waterproof though, that's 100% sure.
My ones in that pic are about 10 years old, and have just been flung in the machine now and again at a normal wash.

Juv's are definitely better, cos his feet stayed warm. I'd go for them.

Next time we should put tissues or something and take a photo after a paddle.

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:17 »
The walking socks are a really good price (2nd link above.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 20:04:05 »

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 07:01:25 »
Got back from a little trip to France and threw everything to wash dry and just ruined the SealSkinz socks- b.....ks !

They were really good and quite pricey, so will have to get some more as these have been ruined.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:02 »
I know it's expensive but it is so much less hassle just to have decent boots. 2 or 3 pairs of sealskins is a fair bit of cash and would go a long way towards nice waterproof boots.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:14 »
I got waterproof boots but once in a monsoon it felt like I could feel a lil damp getting in. (they close by velcro) . So I found a little shelter and used a old trick of putting a shopping bag inside the boot. Worked great, Plus been told, Will keep your boot smelling fresh and clean ;) only had to do that once though
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Strommer

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 13:14:05 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I know it's expensive but it is so much less hassle just to have decent boots. 2 or 3 pairs of sealskins is a fair bit of cash and would go a long way towards nice waterproof boots.

+1

Great boots are £150 (or £100 on Ebay) and will last ten years.  If you can afford the upfront cost it's the way to go.

I paid £100 for my brand new (didn't fit the original purchaser) Alterberg Clubman Classics from Ebay.  Like leather wellies - brilliant.   :thumb:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 13:22:58 »
The old trick of plastic carrier bags in the boots can still be useful even if your boots are waterproof. If you have a long ride in winter and your feet are getting very cold they can give a remarkably good extra layer of insulation.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 15:12:50 »

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 16:02:24 »
How do you wash waterproof socks ???????  :shrug:  :neen:   :haha:
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:19 »
Hehe :)  I chuck them in the machine with my normal washing (no more than 40 deg C though!) and then I hang them up to dry. They dry out surprisingly quickly, much faster than normal socks. That's ideal if you are camping, you just hang them inside the tent overnight and they are dry by the morning, even in cold weather. I'm only speaking for Sealskinz here, no idea if others perform the same.

Offline MadKev

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 22:04:01 »
I wear sealskinz: winter fishing from charter boats in heavy boots, summer fishing in trainers, winter and summer biking, canoeing, hillwalking, I wear them with my wetsuit to keep my tootsies warm even when fully immersed and quickly dry when I come out.  They cost the earth but after that, just wear whatever you like on the outside.  I get about seven years wear a pair.