Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 327499 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #3820 on: April 22, 2024, 18:35:51 »
The Mrs has had her bank card hacked - again. She's on the third card this year (new number each time) and it's getting tiresome. It was £39.99 for a PC game this time, apparently. To be fair to Nationwide they spotted it and put a stop on the card. It's frustrating as we are going on holiday at the weekend and her card won't arrive in time. Hangings too good for 'em etc.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3821 on: April 23, 2024, 20:04:11 »
Sorry to hear this ..  it's happening often these days and, some years ago now, have had my entire current account emptied ..    :groan:

Ever since, I've refused to use my bank debit card for my daily spending , instead I use a credit card and pay it off within the interest free period. 

Feel safe now knowing everything I buy Is insured, it's less likely to be cloned and it does wonders for my credit rating..  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline 2112

« Reply #3822 on: April 24, 2024, 18:29:07 »
 :text-goodpost:

That's a good call. We have an astronomical credit limit on our credit card and hardly ever use it. Currently sitting with the balance at £0 as it has been for about 6 months...

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3823 on: May 07, 2024, 20:58:58 »
I went out to get some frozen chips at about lunch time, 200 ish miles later I got home, switched the TV on just in time to see England's entry for the Eurovision. What I saw was an act that may have gone down well in a gay bar in Soho! What's going on?

I have nothing against gay men or women in fact I know some very nice gay people but do we really want a very camp act representing the UK?

Anyway, I've switched channels and calmed down a bit now. Rant over.  :thumb:

Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #3824 on: May 08, 2024, 06:44:14 »
Good job you're not from Ireland then.

Their entrant is..... unusual!
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3825 on: May 08, 2024, 16:18:15 »
I think to get any attention in the media these days you HAVE to be a bit 'off the wall' or no one takes notice. It's all part of the times we live in. Remember the fuss it used to cause when you grew Your hair long...

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #3826 on: May 08, 2024, 20:42:21 »
Oh yes! I let my hair grow and the more people who told me to have it cut, the longer I let it grow. I can't remember the amount of times someone would call "That boy is wearing Harmony hair spray". I had it cut in the army and then wished I had had it cut a couple of years before.   :thumb:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3827 on: May 10, 2024, 11:53:47 »
Some years ago TalkTalk were my Broad Band service provider. There was a fault and other issues * and that's when I discovered that althugh they are called Talk Talk there was no way of actually talking to someone. As it was contract renewal time I went through a switching service and waved goodbye to them. A little later I found Talk Talk had charged me for six month usage, well over £100, on the grounds that I was a day late in opting out of their so called service.  ###  Good riddence to that lot. I have been with Shell Energy since then. Shell energy just sold out to Octopus energy. Octopus energy have no capacity to to provide Broad Band so that part of the business has been sold off to      Ta Daaaa. Talk Talk  :icon_exclaim:   

* The street where I live has a scarred pavement when Open Vomit installed fibre. Talk Talk sent emails to persuade me to "go full fibre". However My home is not on the street but up a lane with no name, off the street and open vomit were never going to dig up an unmade road and lay a long line of fibre for four dwellings. However, Talk Talk didn't know this and still bombarded me with special offers etc. The Broad Brand kept dropping out and I do rather think someone or something was switching it off at a junction box. Talk Talk are Deaf Deaf or have no Ears Ears but whatever .... talking to Talk Talk was a No No.  ###
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3828 on: May 10, 2024, 12:53:51 »
Bad day at the office.
NW200 stylee.
Upt.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #3829 on: May 10, 2024, 19:48:47 »
When a motorbike is in a film (not movie, that winds me up) and you hear a four cylinder four stroke sounding like a 125cc two stroke and all other manner of variations on the same theme. I've smashed a brick through five TV's so far.  :roll: :thumb:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3830 on: May 10, 2024, 21:26:10 »
That made me chuckle Doc ...

Why on earth do these movie / program producers dub over the original motorcycle sound ..?

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #3831 on: May 10, 2024, 21:32:33 »
Jumped on the bike this evening to head-on home from work. By the time I got half way home, I realised there was a crack in the rev counter glass, the plastic on the right side tank shroud has a large crack in it and the right hand bar end was missing!
A. Why did it take me so long to notice.

B. What the hell has happened.

C. There is no other damage to the bike anywhere .

D. I've had no reports of gremlins operating in my area.
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3832 on: May 10, 2024, 22:51:20 »
Someone knocked it over and stood it up.
I saw that happen in a car park that my office overlooked.
I knew who owned the bike and the person that knocked it over.  He got it upright so as to not leave the bike laying down next to his car.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3833 on: May 11, 2024, 04:37:20 »
Rookie,
Either,

Your bike was abducted by aliens from the future and replaced with a near replica.

Or.

As Brockett said... Barstools! .

Any CCTV to prove either way?

Ho Hum

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #3834 on: May 11, 2024, 15:35:02 »
I was parked in a petrol station standing next to my BMW1150GSA waiting for the airline. A woman started to reverse (for no reason as she could have driven away forward), I shouted "Stop" at the top of my voice and she did but only after her bumper had nudged my bike a foot backwards on it's side stand. There was no damage to my bike but as I was inspecting it the woman got out of her car and started shouting at me. What's the world coming to?  :bawl:

Yesterday I dropped a chap off to collect his bike after an MOT, he was hitching at the side of the road. When we got to the garage he suggested I wait and we could ride back together. Turns out his bike was a 125 Yamaha and the ride back on my local road which is a great ride was done at 50mph tops.

We passed a petrol station on our left, I was going slow 30mph in a 40mph zone when a woman in a Dutch registered car  (LHD) pulled out on to my side of the road coming strait at me. I was forced to swerve and stop while she drove off without a care in the world.

Had I been on my own I would have been riding at 40mph and I wondered if things could have turned out differently. Oh, and my lights were on (obviously) but the fogs were on too.  :groan: ### :crazy:

I'm on a role now but I must stop and go wash my bike. "Thank God" I hear you saying.  :thumb:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #3835 on: May 13, 2024, 06:22:14 »
Doc46.

As an engineer, salesman and sales manager, I was on the road my entire 42 year career, doing around 35 to 40,000 miles a year, so I've been around and seen a bit.

Since the lockdowns I have watched driving standards dive with people adopting more and more poor driving habits.

In no particular order:
Pulling up to a junction and only looking left before pulling out.

Not indicating, or indicating so late it is a waste of time.

ME FIRST! Usually demonstrated by the driver coming towards you on a narrow road, failing to slow or stop until they are just about to hit the front of your car/ bike/ horse/ bicycle (I have experienced all of these on numerous occasions). But also often seen at junctions, where the Me First driver will cut the corner and sound their horn furiously at any vehicle having the sheer temerity to be using "their" road, regardless of the fact that they (the MF driver) is actually on the wrong side of the road.

Turning the wrong way. This is getting worse and worse. The driver who swings to the left in order to make a right turn (or vice versa). This even extends to roundabouts where a vehicle on the inside will suddenly swing left, across other lanes in order to reach "their" exit.

There are plenty more that could be added, and this is before we work in the ever present distraction of the phone... vape.... Costa coffee etc.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3836 on: May 13, 2024, 07:24:25 »
 :text-goodpost:

Just to add in the dreaded satnav followers. No road sense, just slavishly following the instructions of the 'navigation god' and not actually looking at road sign, other vehicles etc. Mongs.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3837 on: May 13, 2024, 07:30:11 »
It's been like the above in Port Toilet for years, just seems to be spreading.

My parents noticed the amazingly poor driving standards when they moved here about 6 years ago. I'd been here a while and got accustomed to it.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3838 on: May 13, 2024, 12:17:50 »
My sone was a late starter on bikes. He has a helmet camera and it is always on. He sends me a daily report on poor driving and phone use. He no longer reports phone use to the police because they have never acted on the videos he has sent  even though they clearly show the driver and the number plate. They have now told him to stop sending them.
As a pedestrian ( yes even I have been that ), just stand on an urban road junction and watch the cars going by and notice one in five is holding / using a phone.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3839 on: May 13, 2024, 18:09:31 »
When I got a car licence 15 years ago ish (needed one for the new job) my AA instructor told me about a young lady who was over the moon at passing her test at the 7/8 th try ,can't remember which,........ 'cos it meant she didn't have to use her indicators any more ????