Author Topic: A year with the Honda NC750X  (Read 943 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
A year with the Honda NC750X
« on: October 10, 2022, 12:20:39 »
A year of ownership rather than riding for a year in that I have only covered 2885 miles.
All written below is how the bike is for me, my body shape and decrepitude.

Getting on and off - although the seat height is 800mm the pillion seat is higher and it is a struggle for me. Of course it''s not Honda's fault that I am old and worn out  or that I made the problem worse by fitting a rack and top box
The seat - Has insufficient padding at the back where my thigh bones struggle to support my lardy seventeen stone body. In short it becomes very painful in about 50 miles.
The Handlebars are too low and the pull back angle aggravates my shoulder.
The foot pegs are too far back and this throws my body forward further aggravating the low handlebar problem
The Screen is too narrow and too low resulting in buffeting a loud noise.
Even so the frontal bodywork provides fair shelter from the elements. On the downside the bodywork is lots of parts that are slotted, pinned and screwed in place.
The single disc front brake is not enough for the weight of the bike and me at 70 mph
The tyres, suspension and lights were good enough although I really don't like the front indicators being illuminated all the time.
The much praised "frunk" storage compartment is not big enough for a medium full face helmet and if you put your sandwiches in there they get warmed by the heat from the engine. Wet over suit and gloves may steam a little but won't cook or melt.

When I test rode it last year I was able to get on and off the bike with little trouble but my hips have got older and the Givi rack and plate I fitted are a hindrance. I test rode for twenty miles, stopped for a coffee and then rode back.
The bike is quiet and it goes well enough without being exciting.
The problems I have with the seat and handlebars don't show up for 50 miles or so. 

It is quiet, economical, tedious and joyless. I cannot imagine anyone getting excited at the thought of getting it out of the garage and riding it.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
Re: A year with the Honda NC750X
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 16:23:28 »
Cor blimey mister, that's nowt like my experience - over 9k miles in just over a year.

OK, I'm not built like wot you are, nor am I quite as discombobulated physically, so my experience of a 2020 version is just that, my experience.

The points I can pick up on, starting with your last point first - I do look forward to rolling it out of the garage and going for a blat on it . . . cos its a Honda I know it'll get me home and it'll make some riders look twice as I swish past them.

I kind off get where your coming from regards the overall impression the bike "gives off", but if more people gave it a good long go, they might be suprised. I'm not  speed merchant, so the overall performance of the bike is fine for me & my riding style (I'd call it smooth & steady, others might not  :whistle:).

The frunk on my model is smaller than the 2021 onwards model (which I presume you owned as you mention permanantly on indicators) and yet it takes my Shoei multitech without a problem - I'm a medium as well. I routinley carry my repair kit and my brew kit in the frunk, including a 500g gas cannister, without problem.

Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline colin

• Bike: DL650 L6. v-strom 650. BMW R100rs. Harley Dyna 2000. Triumph Bonneville T100
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 18:50:46 »
I went to the Honda dealers in Bristol with the idea of trading in my Suzuki v-strom 650. 2016. which I bought there new. sat on the NC750X and wife got on the back in the show room. she immediately said NO.
the seat was too narrow and hard and the footrests too high. she is 5'7"  and 9 1/2 stone so not big. I was on tip toe. but I lower most bikes I own. my v-strom has a lowering kit and low seat and I am still not flat foot on the ground.  We tour Europe a couple of times a year so she needs to be happy on the back. I preferred the NC 750s but no longer make it.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 19:35:25 »
I lowered the NC and dropped the yokes by 12mm to balance the steering. But the front mudguard extender fouled the belly pan that Honda fit. So I put it back up to standard.  I have tried to make it work for me. It just doesn't and, as I suggested, it's not all the bikes fault.
Lowering the bike also made the centre stand unusable and the side stand has to be cut down and re-welded.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 23:36:09 »
I owned a 2019 NC750X DCT for a few months a couple of years ago but really didn’t like it. I bought a 2014 manual one with 70K miles on it earlier this year and it is, in my opinion, a far better bike. The instrument display is far better. I am averaging 86mpg which is remarkable. Is it as good as my ex 2014 DL650? Other than the fuel economy, most certainly not.