Author Topic: Anyone tried Puig screen with visor (Wee2)  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Billabong

Anyone tried Puig screen with visor (Wee2)
« on: February 16, 2016, 20:41:25 »
Hi all,

I've been trawling through the forum reading about the various screens & options that have been tried but has anyone tried this on a Wee2 (Glee if you must!):

http://www.mandsmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/puig-Suzuki-dl650a-v-strom-touring-screen-with-visor-smoked

Looks similar to the MRA screen but a bit bigger...

Offline Aldi

Re: Anyone tried Puig screen with visor (Wee2)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 22:55:47 »
I fitted my Glee with a Puig 5895 screen and 5853 adjustable visor two years ago and have since enjoyed wind protection without unpleasant turbulence at head height.
However, it was necessary to fit the screen on stilts. The stilts are simply 4 x aluminium strips from B&Q with holes at 25mm intervals to match the pitch of the mounting holes in the screen and fairing. For me, the right height was achieved with the screen mounted so that its two lower holes were 75mm above the 2 x lowest holes in the fairing.
I had previously trialled the OEM screen and others and found that they all generated turbulence, some of it very unpleasant. The key to my success was to follow a set of instructions on the California Scientific website. These instructions provide a means of estimating the required height of a screen, given the rider's personal height. I guess these instructions are really intended to enable CalSci's customers to order their CalSci screens with bespoke height. Unfortunately, CalSci don't retail in the UK.
Go to http://MotorcycleInfo.calsci.com, click on "If you need a Windscreen , consider OURS", select Suzuki Vstrom 650 and scroll down to "How to choose the right Windscreen  height for you". Follow these instructions - they worked for me!
At 6ft1, I am tallish but there are plenty of others who are taller. For taller riders, the CalSci website provides invaluable and, as far as I am concerned, incontrovertible evidence on just how poorly the OEMs and the euro screen makers provide for taller customers.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 11:44:37 »
 :thumb: Aldi - I like that one
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Billabong

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 16:39:29 »
Thanks Aldi - great link!  :thumb:

I'm 6'2" and thinking of ordering a Palmer adjuster to try with my Givi Airflow screen but I'll do some measuring first now  :)

I do like the look of the Puig screen, though getting rid of buffetting is my first concern...

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 11:35:55 »
Cheers Aldi, that was an interesting article. Hang the cost, I'm buying one of those calsci screens.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Tintent115

• Bike: 2021 Vstrom 650XT & Suzuki Burgman 400
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 18:35:02 »
I've just taken delivery of a new 650XT.

I rode it home from the dealers 10 miles including dual carriageway. The standard Suzuki screen was set at its middle setting. I was buffeted particularly my helmet area almost uncomfortably at anything above 50mph.

I have raised the Suzuki screen to its highest setting (about another inch higher) and fitted a Puig 6320W deflector.  I've just been a 25 mile test ride. The difference is very noticeable. Very little wind felt, even at 60mph and up to 70 quite acceptable ( I'm running it in so not been over 70 yet.....!). I am 6 foot 1 inch tall.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 21:26:07 »
I thought heroblobs.co.uk flogged the Calsci Screens?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!