Author Topic: Hyper Fuel Mileage  (Read 124 times)

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
Hyper Fuel Mileage
« on: May 07, 2024, 22:28:29 »
Forgot my wallet for todays run to one of my work sites, only realised too late. 2 bars showing on the R1200RT fuel gauge,  about 110 miles to home. So the fuel saving run began. I can report that the RT  can average 70 mpg if ridden like a Saint. Watching the road, easy on the brakes, short shifting and watching my average mpg and range figures. I  found a sweet spot on the faster roads at about 65mph, cruise control on, showing a constant 74mpg. Made it home with 9 miles showing on the range. Bored stupid of course.....

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Hyper Fuel Mileage
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 04:18:57 »
I have done it,we all have done it.............still bloody annoying.
Remember reserve taps?     Yeah done that more than once too :icon_wink:
Glad you made it.
Ho Hum

I have put my banks app on my phone now so can pay with that next time I forget my wallet.
Never had to use it (yet) but it's nice to have a backup.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 06:35:07 »
I once volounteered for a run out with a recently qualified (as in bike test passed) work colleague on his bike. Big mistake! I did discover a Yamaha Supertenere 1200 could average 72mpg though, every cloud and all that...

To shame the lad further, if you ever watch any 'Teapot One' videos, he's the chap who throws his white Tiger 1200 on the floor in Wales. While stationary...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 12:28:53 »
I had two bikes, a BMW R100RT and a BMW R1150GSA. when my son passed his direct access I leant him the RT for a ride. I told him not to show off and not to rush to overtake anything. Some miles into the ride a Harley passed us. Stephen (my Son) took off and chased said Harley, I followed.

To my surprise and shock Stephen was riding fast and was looking like a police rider. We stopped for a chat and he apologised for passing the Harley but said had it been another brand he would have let it go but he won't be passed by a Harley.  :auto-dirtbike: :thumb:

I congratulated him on his superb riding ability and told him to take the lead and ride as fast as he feels safe, he had won my confidence. He put his ability down to a few miles on the back of my bike, watching other riders and reading an advanced book that I leant him.  :bow-blue:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 19:24:53 »
My wife mentioned the phone app, I can barely make a call but I'll have a go at that. My little Honda has a fuel tap and reserve,  life seemed much easier.  And both of my sons outride me. Lots of pillion miles and no bloody fear, but they both read the road well.  I  think it's harder for them, traffic and attitudes felt more reasonable when I started out.