Author Topic: I'm an even bigger traitor...  (Read 5171 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
I'm an even bigger traitor...
« on: July 17, 2016, 20:09:57 »
Yes, having previously turned my back on the mighty V-Strom not once, but twice, I am now turning my back on adventure bikes. Having had a rush of blood and loss of senses I have bought a Triumph Rocket 3 Tourer which I pick up tomorrow. Gawd knows how it will work out for me but I've had my eye on one for a while. I've had nothing but adventure bikes for the last 18 years and just fancy a change of genre to keep my interest in bikes alive. Wish me luck  :thumb:

P.S. - 18 years of adventure bikes looks like an Africa Twin, 2 x Transalps, Varadero, V-Strom 1000, V-Strom 650, Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Supertenere 1200 (and a TDM850 if you class it as an adventure bike).
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: I'm an even bigger traitor...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 20:15:21 »
Enjoy. Lovely looking bikes. Just don't forget yourself and go green-laning...!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 21:04:09 »
Fastest thing on the road to 30mph I believe  :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline NTBooth

• Bike: Benelli Trk502x
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 21:07:58 »
Hope you enjoy it!
great looking bikes!  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 15:20:02 »
Fastest thing on the road to 30mph I believe  :)

You could well be right, I now know why they call it a rocket... What a hoot to ride, way more agile than you would imagine and it just pulls in any gear at any speed, marvelous  :grin:

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:25:47 »
Got a query for you 2112...how did you find the Super Ten compared to the Vee? I'm thinking of a change after the Vee caught fire on Sunday.

I can get any bike, but the BMW's and Triumphs seem to be failure magnets and I don't want a Veek.

I was interested in a Rocket III Touring for a while, seemed to be a good way to go if you wanted to carry pillions - so much grunt you wouldn't know they were there & plenty of room/comfort. The agility is partly from a much slimmer rear wheel to the other Rocket III's, its "only" a 180 section as opposed to the 240 rears on the others. Enjoy it and I look forward ot a ride report...

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 15:13:03 »
"Triumphs seem to be failure magnets "    whatya mean ??

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 17:12:29 »
Abercol, I swapped from a Vee to an S10 and I love it, tried the Veek and it was great, felt lighter than my Vee, brakes were great but it wasn't different enough and I fancied a shaft drive. I've a few mates with Triumph Explorers and 3 of them have had issues I also didn't like the fact you ride sitting in it rather than on it. If you read any review of the S10 they'll say it gets better the more you ride it and it's true, if you fancy one try and get a good long test ride, I had 20 minutes and found it bland but I knew it would improve :-)

Offline 2WheelDrifter

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 20:00:05 »
Ooooh!  I've often thought I'd prefer the Triumph Rocket but was concerned that I'd find the feet forward riding position difficult over distance along with increased strain on lower back.  Look forward to your update in due course.  Love the Rocket and best of luck with it!

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:39:51 »
Thanks Yoyo...I am a bit concerned over the seat height, but that's more to do with my stumpy 29" inside leg than a lofty perch. A test ride is in order if I can find one - all the dealers here don't have S10 demo bikes, its all MT-09's & Tracers. Might get a blat on a secondhand bike if I pretend I'm interested, the local dealer has a '12 Worldcrosser up for grabs.

And Tusker, My bike club has 80 odd members, mostly on BMW GS's, many after trading in their Exploders Explorers for GS's after having myriad issues - its a bit like BMW, loads of cash to buy and plagued with niggly issues. Problems reported from almost every rider spoken to.

Mind you, I had the Club chairman say "That Suzuki's misfiring, you should just get a GS". "Where's yours? you have a R1200R today" I replied. "Oh", she says, "my ignition electronics failed, BMW have had it for 4 weeks and I don't know when I'll get it back".  This issue isn't her first warranty work on this 18 mth old bike by any means yet she still believes it to be the best thing on the road.  :icon_no:

Offline frez

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:14:31 »
The seat height on the S10 is adjustable between two settings, but I'm 6'4 with a 33" leg and I prefer it on low as it makes it easier turning on my sloping drive, and now I have an aftermarket seat it would be tricky for me on high. They also do a low seat option to lower it further (at least they do on the old model), but I've no idea how comfortable or low that would be. Try asking on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 18:53:42 »
Ah well I wasn't talking Explorers, My Tiger 1050 has been absolutely faultless since I bought it off Fat Rat,, except ,,, there is always an except when it wouldn't shift out of first!!!!!  BUT that was my fault I just hadn't realised an oil change was all it needed.. Lesson learned bike faultless.

Offline stuzero

• going custom....
  • Bike: project K2-Vee
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 21:31:09 »
Rocket 3  :bow-blue: can't get more different!! My dad had one...lasted two months...I tried it kind of like going from a pedlo to a cruise ship in one step I felt. Lovely bike though if that's your bag, loads of stroms for sale if you change your mind
Do blue ones go faster..... only one way to find out.... now how does it go back together

Offline 2112

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 18:12:19 »
Got a query for you 2112...how did you find the Super Ten compared to the Vee? I'm thinking of a change after the Vee caught fire on Sunday.

Firstly commiserations on the Vee, up in smoke is no way to go for a bike !

The S10 is a bit heavier than the Vee but it's well balanced and hides this quite well (except when pushing it in and out of parking spaces). They are remarkably agile and can be launched down country lanes at a surprising pace - and halted quickly too. The seat isn't brilliant but a gel pad sorts that out and the screen is utter garbage, other than that the riding position is quite good (6'2 1/2"). The shaft drive is a godsend and apparently they are unbreakable. I would have another. I did 670 miles in a day last year on mine without drama, very impressive, especially as I have a dodgy back ! You can pick them up quite cheap too as they aren't 'fashionable'. I hope this helps  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 18:25:29 »
The Rocket 3 Touring, where to start ? It's big & heavy, lets get that out of the way early on (so am I mind). It's not really that practical due in part to being 377kg and being a cruiser, it's no lane splitter. It's a bit thirsty hovering around the high thirties average mpg. I just love the whole madness of it ! The bike feels like every gear is first gear - see a gap and just roll that throttle on and it's time to hang on, tight ! It's a surprisingly decent handling bike that can be hustled down a favourite road surprisingly briskly and it has more ground clearance than you would expect. Harley riders really don't like it as it's got a bigger engine, looks cooler and goes much faster, this I like and enjoy winding the local 'tractor boy's' up at EVERY opportunity  :lala:

It's more comfy than I expected to be honest and after about 20mins I get a bit of discomfort and then about 10mins after that it's all good, which is a bit odd. The screen is nowhere near tall enough and I have a +5" item on it's way over from Uncle Sam Land which should sort things out. The panniers look great but are only 39litres each and an odd shape, so only just OK there. Still loving it though  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:26 »
Crikey this thing likes rear tyres - 3mm used in 800 miles !

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 18:47:26 »
You seem to be good at picking the tyre munchers!
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 21:57:20 »
You doing burnouts...?  :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike:

Offline 2112

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 17:04:31 »
You doing burnouts...? 

I thought the clutch was on the way out but it was just spinning the rear wheel... I passed an Audi the other day, uphill in third gear and the rear spun up - eek ! Cracking fun mind  :grin:

Offline 2112

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 10:13:34 »
Well, the Rocket is no more. I've decided to go back to a V-Strom 1000 as Northumberlands roads are a series of pot holes loosely held together by poor quality tarmac & gravel, not cruiser friendly... So, I'll get my coat - I'm a traitor no more  :lala: