Author Topic: Over filling oil  (Read 4803 times)

Offline radsbow

Over filling oil
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:59 »
Hi There,

Just after some advice please. Just ridden my 2014 V-Strom 1000 back home from its first service, and just happened to look at the oil level window and noticed that it was completely filled - way above the maximum level.  I let some oil out and measured it at 200ml above the maximum level.

My question is could this over fill of 200ml blown any seals, or damaged the engine, or is 200ml over not too much of a problem?

I have emailed Streetbike in Halesowen for advice and whether they are going to rectify any problems, but will probably have to chase them up with phone calls on Monday.

All advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Over filling oil
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:35 »
Hi ,
I doubt there would be any problems from this but I would call the garage on Monday And highlight their mistake.
To much oil can cause extra pressure on motor but 200 ml isn't a great amount to worry to much about also You must be still running your bike in and you only took your bike home so no harm done . :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline radsbow

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:50 »
Thanks for putting my mind at rest!! Can't believe they could do something as stupid as that!!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:57:09 »
Yes it's probably OK but I'd still let the dealer know, the max line is there for a reason. It could have blown some oil up into the airbox through the crankcase breather.
I think Streetbike are trying to rebuild their reputation after having a lot of shite customer satisfaction over the last few years. Many moons ago when they were based in Dudley they were a top bike shop with all good staff but things have gone downhill over the years.

Offline radsbow

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:07:35 »
I've just had a nice reply stating that their engineers will reply on Tuesday when they return to work. Although you always fear the "no we didn't fill it too high" syndrome. I'll wait and see what the engineers reply is to my concerns!!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 17:26:48 »
I once had a 125cc bike come back from the first service with 1.5ltr  of oil in the engine that took 950ml

so that is 150% of the maximum oil capacity and the bike ran fine after I drained the whole lot out, measured it and poured the correct amount back in. Had the bike for the next 12k miles and all was fine when I sold it.

I've over filled the wee more than once and the oil pressure light came on after a few motorway miles, but unless the light came on there should be no issues. (first time was around 30k miles ago  :shrug: )

I usually fill the wee past the full mark, every bike I have had leans over to the r/h/s when on the center stand- with a sight glass on the right the level shows higher than when the engine is level.

Ride Coordinator

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 18:06:17 »
Radsbow as stated I would not worry too much about the small amount of overfill. I thought my DL1000 was using oil as I always check the oil on the centre stand. so I topped it up to the top mark after the 600 mile service. I then realised that my dealer always tops the oil up to the full mark when the bike is off the stand. Hence when I take mine of the stand the oil level is now at the top of the sight glass. I have done nearly 3,500 miles like this and no problem. Some of these miles have been down the German autobans so were at speed.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 18:15:37 »
that would seem to say the new 1000 leans to the left then  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline radsbow

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 18:56:19 »
Quote from: "ziggy"
Radsbow as stated I would not worry too much about the small amount of overfill. I thought my DL1000 was using oil as I always check the oil on the centre stand. so I topped it up to the top mark after the 600 mile service. I then realised that my dealer always tops the oil up to the full mark when the bike is off the stand. Hence when I take mine of the stand the oil level is now at the top of the sight glass. I have done nearly 3,500 miles like this and no problem. Some of these miles have been down the German autobans so were at speed.

Thanks for the advice. I'm on a 1500 mile round road trip to Germany on the 13th of June, so just wanted to be sure it isn't broken!!

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 19:58:23 »
Quote from: "radsbow"
Thanks for the advice. I'm on a 1500 mile round road trip to Germany on the 13th of June, so just wanted to be sure it isn't broken!!

We will soon be on the 7,500 mile service as off to Normandy on Tuesday then back for top of Scotland for a week.
Enjoy your run.

Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline radsbow

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 20:21:21 »
Quote from: "ziggy"
We will soon be on the 7,500 mile service as off to Normandy on Tuesday then back for top of Scotland for a week.
great :-)