Author Topic: Arai Tour X 3  (Read 3665 times)

Online 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Arai Tour X 3
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:56:22 »
I've had a rush of blood and splashed out on an Arai Tour x 3 (in motard silver). Full review to follow when the weather picks up, if it EVER picks up... I'll be interested to hear comments from any users of the said lid.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jockflob

Re: Arai Tour X 3
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 19:20:21 »
Off topic but...

I got the Shoei Hornet DS and I love it, brand new it cost me £179 from Two Wheels in Edinburgh.  So comfy and remarkable quiet even with the peak.  Plenty of room for speakers and mic for the comms.

I have owend Caberg for years and didn't think there could be much difference, shocked to say the least.  I will never go back that's for sure.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 21:58:47 »
2112, I'd be interested in how the Arai fares in the rain and wind actually... I'm in the market for a new helmet come summer and I'm undecided as yet, but like the 'dual sport' styled ones. I nearly bought a Shoei DS Hornet a few months ago, but restrained myself and spent the money on a Scala Rider Teamset *cough* if you can call that restraint *cough* The main appeal is the extra room at the chin and the larger viewport.

jockflob, have you used it in the rain and wind yet, if so, what is it like? I'm concerned about the peak at higher speeds and the effect of it when you check your blind spot at these speeds.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Online 2112

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:34:33 »
I will definitely post up when the bloody weather EVENTUALLY clears, aarghh  ###

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:28:41 »
I've read the DS does better in the wind than the Tour X3 juve, but then typically, most people are either an Arai head or a Shoei head rather than both

Looks like mine is landing today (helmet city's free delivery seems to be super speeeeeedy!) so I'll be able to give a rough report soon enough

@2112- the weather doesn't get clearer than this in January  :grin:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 17:04:24 »
I've never owned either an Arai or a Shoei, but the Shoei generally fits better. Not that the Arai fits badly, they just seem to press against my chin too easily (you'd swear I have a large/protruding chin or something...) Maybe the Tour X3 has a bit more space at the chin. I could just be boring and go for a Qwest in the end. They are said to have very good airflow and vents and are sold as being very quiet. Anyone have a Qwest and an opinion?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Online 2112

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 17:32:47 »
Quote from: "jonH"
2112- the weather doesn't get clearer than this in January  :grin:

You are of course correct, however, getting my Sorento sideways while exiting a seemingly dry roundabout has dented my enthusiasm to drag the bike out. I may get the old XS850 out at the weekend for a laugh though  :grin:

Offline jonH

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:31:02 »
no trouble at all with the peak on the way in this morning, overall quite happy so far, visibility is excellent as you'd imagine just need to fiddle with the vents a bit more I think, it misted up about the same as my hjc would have done under similar conditions (lid slightly open)

it's a lot quieter than my hjc is-16 though, and I thought arais were supposed to be noisy!
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline jockflob

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 21:34:01 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"

jockflob, have you used it in the rain and wind yet, if so, what is it like? I'm concerned about the peak at higher speeds and the effect of it when you check your blind spot at these speeds.

I have used it in high winds (front and side) and don't have any issues with it.  I have even lifted my head above the screen just to check and once again, nothing major.  No problems whatsoever with checking blind spots.  Been out in light rain, also no problems.  I was a bit worried about noise but that didn't last long.

I have never tried the Arai, bought the Shoei becuase the local Honda dealer gave t to me for £199 brand new.

I think (I may be wrong) you can go to your local dealer and they will let you try out the Arai on the road, good way to see if a peak is for you.

Online 2112

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 15:59:28 »
OK got the first run of the year out of the way with a pleasant 200 miler around the Borders. The new tour x3 gets a big thumbs up from me, quiet, great vision and plenty ventilation (had to shut a few as my heed was freezing). The peak doesn't seem to catch any wind and certainly doesn't feel different to any other helmet. A pleasant feature was while heading into the low sun the peak kept it out of my eyes reducing squinting and the associated eye strain. 9/10 for me (needs to be a bit lighter to get a 10).
A happy camper  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 22:22:32 »
jockflop, how's the ventilation on the Shoei?

Offline jockflob

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 16:24:14 »
ventilation seems good so far, have not really tested in warmer weather yet as I purchase later in the year (that and the fact weather up here is crap anyway).
 :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  

No problems with visor misting as comes with pinlock.

Offline jockflob

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 16:27:32 »
another note, if anyone is thinking of buying one let me know what size you are and I may be able to get you one for the same price I paid (£199), seem to be £329 everywhere else.  Try them on first though as I had to go one size larger when going to the Shoei

Offline jonH

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:52 »
now I've got the chin venting sorted on the x3 I'm very happy with it indeed, just need to test it in heavy rain.

re sizing, I took a risk. my hjc is-16 was a 60cm (L) so I ordered a x3 at 59-60cm (L). It was a touch tight the first time I put it on, but it's perfect now.

Offline beanster

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 17:30:03 »
Hi I got my x3 in april last year and got it custom fit by the Arai man, very snug, I have however found that it fogs up, even with the pinlock in in heavy rain. also it is quite a noisy lid so earplugs are a must.
I havent used my bike vey much in the last year, so all of this is based on the runs I have done.
late last year I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc in my neck which gives me some pain, in an attempt to aleviate the pressure when riding I've removed the peak, so we'll see how that goes on, when I get back on it.
hope you are getting on okay with yours.