Author Topic: Altberg Hoggs  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Altberg Hoggs
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:52:00 »
Wife has just called to say my size 9.5 extra wide Altberg Hoggs have arrived....will be placing them on my dainty feet as soon as I get home!

I can test out their waterproofed warmth and cosiness with a stomp around our snow infested driveway....

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Altberg Hoggs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 13:05:14 »
Here in the West of Scotland it's a beautiful day, if a little cold. None the less I am quite envious of your Hoggs. Let us know how you like them once you have them broken in a bit.

Offline adst

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 16:37:14 »
I am sure they are great boots,  but tell me how you get on tying up those laces ..and mores to the point ....stop the laces getting tied around your brakes and clutch levers / whatever - I've only done that once...and the problem of not being able to get your foot down at traffic lights because you are tied to the bike still haunts me !

straps or velcro over zip for me from now on ....
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 16:55:00 »
Ha, ha!

I remember being on a bike years ago with trousers that had quite loose ankles. As I stopped and tried to put my foot down the trousers caught on the foot peg and I almost went down! Velcro is a splendid thing.

However, I have always fancied a pair of Hoggs since someone told me his were really comfy walking boots and had also kept his feet warm & dry on the bike for years. My Daytonas are brilliant bike boots but you wouldn't want to walk up a proper hill in them.

Offline bencav

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 17:45:37 »
I have the clubman classic and love them to bits .... enough to want a pair of Hogg High (I'm too long on the leg for shorter styles)

They have arrived .... at work Grrr .... but my work safety shoes have arrived here .... think I may have given alt-berg the addresses the wrong way round!

As for laces .... I always wear trousers over the boot so not a biggy for me :-)

Offline Oldie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 19:49:04 »
There's a whole new debate in itself - "trousers over or under"  :)

Always wear trousers over my boots (although never thought about why)  :shrug:
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline longman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 23:28:31 »
I have been using my Hoggs for over 6 months now and never had that problem. I tuck laces in and they stay there safe:)
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Maviso

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 00:36:08 »
There's a whole new debate in itself - "trousers over or under"

Always wear trousers over my boots (although never thought about why)

Ooer! I always assumed that trousers tucked into my Hoggs would demonstrate the waterproof properties of the Hoggs - I.e. they would steadily fill up with the run-off from the trousers?

Which part of the dilemma have I missed out on? :shrug:
We do not see things as they are - We see things as we are - Anais Nin

Offline stibbs

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:35 »
Don't worry about what hear from these tales of woe :)
I've had Hoggs for a few years, I use Leder Gris leather wax and ridden through the worst weather.
They're comfortable, warm and totally waterproof.
The laces are not a problem at all and have never given concern.  :thumb:

Enjoy years of great boots :)

Offline matchless

• Bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:01 »
Leder Gris is good stuff, I've  had a pair of Hoggs for over 10 years and have never had my feet wet.
"It may be rubbish, but it's British rubbish !"

Offline Strommer

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:58 »
Get some good quality Zipits to make the lacing safer and quicker.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/FOOTWEAR+ACCESSORIES/Description/BLACK+ZIPITS/ItemId/1569/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

Nothing wrong with adding a pair of Yeti gaiters for long distance torrential rain days.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Abercol

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:49 »
Well, got home, put them on, Lovely! Stomped about in the snow & dry, very warm feet, still very stiff soles, but that's OK...just so much more comfy than my Bullsons!! I will let you know how they get on once broken in a bit more. Got a free large tin of Ledergris when I bought them, so all set for a summer of foot bliss.

I'm not worried about the laces, there is no slack on the left leg - barely enough to do up and a bit more on the right leg, but not lots. I had to get Hoggs as my extra-extra  super sized calves do not let me get any other Altberg boot...and no std zip up boots will fit from any manufacturer, just shorty ones like the Bullson Manx I am replacing. Besides, I wore Doc Marten high boots on the bike for over 18 years, never had a problem with the laces.

And...trousers over boots. Used to be the other way around when I wore jeans, but with textiles...always over. Besides, with my mahoosive DVT legacy left calf there is no room in the Hoggs for anything else except a sock!

Offline Oldie

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 18:34:39 »
Phoned Altberg today to find out where my boots were. Told me they were ready but needed paying for. I explained that I had already paid for them and they said "sorry, we'll post them today" Great boots but they need to improve their marketing side of things.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 21:02:37 »
Quote from: "Oldie"
Phoned Altberg today to find out where my boots were. Told me they were ready but needed paying for. I explained that I had already paid for them and they said "sorry, we'll post them today" Great boots but they need to improve their marketing side of things.

You young 'uns - so impatient!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline stibbs

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 21:39:05 »
Quote from: "Strommer"
Get some good quality Zipits to make the lacing safer and quicker.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/FOOTWEAR+ACCESSORIES/Description/BLACK+ZIPITS/ItemId/1569/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

Nothing wrong with adding a pair of Yeti gaiters for long distance torrential rain days.

What a great product. I'd never heard of these, I will, of course, have to order some :ty:

Offline Oldie

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:56 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
Quote from: "Oldie"

You young 'uns - so impatient!

I know, I only ordered them in November so should learn to have more patience  :bawl:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 18:22:52 »
Heh! That is a bit long, maybe they're still chasing the cow for its hide! :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Abercol

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 13:04:57 »
They must've taken a dislike to you Oldie...I ordered mine at the end of January and they said I'd get them end of March....they came early!

I thought the customer service was very good I got a free tin of Ledergris and a slight discount on the price!

I am known for my stubborn haggling streak though...

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 23:45:23 »
I've ordered some of the ultralight non-waterproof ones for my trip in Europe this summer... the theory behind getting non-waterproof is that they'll probably be a bit cooler in very hot temperatures.

However, I would be a fool not to consider the possibility of rain so I'm thinking I'll either get some waterproof overboots to take with me or just a pair of Sealskinz socks to wear on rainy days... any opinions on which of these will be the better option? Points will be lost for saying "both" as I'm trying to economise :)

Offline Ubique

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:13 »
Can't go wrong with a set of sealskins!