Author Topic: Uvex Carbon Enduro  (Read 5585 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Uvex Carbon Enduro
« on: February 01, 2012, 18:21:57 »
My beautifull Uvex Carbon Enduro lid arrived today  :thumb:  I'm genuinely surprised at the quality of this helmet and the lack of weight - this is light, only 1170g ! It has a quality feel to it from the pure Carbon fibre shell to the coolmax lining, fog free visor and the well thought out features. It can be used with or without the peak and with or without the visor or with the visor and peak. I shall post up a review once (if) the weather picks up !  

Click on the link for a butchers - http://www.tranam.co.uk/Clothing/Uvex/uvex_enduro.html
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline 2112

Re: Uvex Carbon Enduro
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 16:13:19 »
Wow, I am so impressed with this lid ! This is the quietest helmet I've ever owned by a significant margin. Very comfy, mostly due to the lack of weight, well ventilated and the anti fog coating on the visor just will not fog up even in 7 degree, damp conditions. At 40 mph it's virtually silent apart from the clatter (it's a Guzzi remember...) of the engine. Still quiet at 80 and not at all bad at the ton and much less buffeting than my previous Arai Tour X 3 at all speeds.
Very happy   :thumb:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:32:50 »
Just looked at the vids and website  - looks impressive, can hardly believe that weight!

It looks really big, like fat and round in the vids - is that an artefact of the video? I don't think I've evr really looked at these before (probably the price has been a factor) but I'll certainly look next time I need a helmet (with my lowish miles I keep 'em a while...)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:08 »
Where'd you buy yours from?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 19:09:24 »
It is quite a large shelled lid and is well padded (rather like myself), probably one of the reasons why it's so quiet ? Bought off ebay as our local dealer (Custom Lids) wouldn't budge on the £470 list price, despite me showing them the ebay advert ! Obviously they don't need the sales, they must be doing well...

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 21:27:33 »
Then why not buy it mail order from Louis.de in Germany? €299 plus €9.95 carriage

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 22:32:22 »
Are there different versions of this helmet? I'm sure I've seen the carbon one for £233 somewhere.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 22:44:20 »
Yes, it would seem to available in ABS or Polycarbon or SLC (super light carbon), the latter is the expensive one we are discussing here.

If I can get this link to work this will explain:
http://www.louis.de/_10a3a9d957bbb67d343696d226d868b615/index.php?topic=wgr&grwgr=150&wgr=832&hersteller=50&anzeige=0&typ_id=&lang=en

Offline 2112

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:39 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
Then why not buy it mail order from Louis.de in Germany? €299 plus €9.95 carriage
Tried, they didn't have a large in stock and have some stinking feedback on a Guzzi forum I also frequent with some very long waiting times... I did my homework ! Yes, the lid is available in various materials with slight variations between them. Even the ABS one is still very light in comparison to most Enduro style lids. I did try an AGV on at the bikeshow last year and was impressed by it's light weight.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:24:17 »
I think if I could get one at c.£250-00 for the superlight one, I'll definitely be trying one next time (shame they don't have a internal sunvisor, I really like those now...maybe they'll add one by the time I'm in the market).
I've had the same issue with Custom lids, wouldn't budge on price despite me wanting to get my last helmet from them, on principle of buying locally, and their adverts which said they'd compete with the internet... :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 13:12:18 »
Thanks Fatbelly, the link worked. Is polycarbonate better than ABS, I'm not clued up on that? And can you fit pinlock to these?

Offline Ubique

Uvex Carbon Enduro
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 14:10:55 »
Gassoon, have a look at the X Lite X551.

Prices ~£260-£300 for an all black one.

Comes with internal sun visor and pinlock comes fitted as standard.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 16:54:03 »
I can only answer the ABS v Polycarbonate question with respect to machine parts and stuff - I'm no expert in helmets.

Polycarbonate is tougher and gives better impact and scratch resistance, it also holds it's shape better. ABS is cheaper.

However there is now a trend towards composite materials which are a mixture of the two which are reported to give a decent compromise. I understand some manufacturers of plastic parts are also now mixing this material with carbon fibre or building layered constructions using all or some of these.

Complicated, innit?

I know nothing about pinlock.

Offline 2112

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 17:17:46 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
And can you fit pinlock to these?

No need, the visor will not fog as it has some fancy anti fog coating already applied to the visor, very impressive  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 20:06:27 »
That's what they all say/have and I've never seen one that works when it gets really cold.

Offline 2112

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:51 »
Well, I've now got about a 1,000 miles use with the new lid so time for a quick update. I'm still impressed with this lid, the build quality is superb and the comfort just keeps getting better, despite the fact the padding has hardly 'settled' and still remains pleasantly firm, which bodes well for long term use. The coolmax lining is superb, the peak keeps the sun out of your eyes and the quick change visor is working well. The anti fog coating on the visor just does not fog up at all (must be the years of developing ski gear ?) and is seriously impressing me. The vents are efficient but unadjustable so this may be an issue if you ride in the depths of winter ?

Gets a 9.5 out of 10 from me and is a genuine alternative to a Tour X  :thumb:

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 21:03:38 »
Bluesun 9 has one of the ordinary Enduros, he seems impressed too..
No bike at present.......

Offline 2112

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 16:21:06 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"
Bluesun 9 has one of the ordinary Enduros, he seems impressed too..

They are surprisingly good quality easily a match for the likes of Shuberth, Arai & Shoei. The lightness still takes some getting used to especially when you pick up someone elses lid as a comparison.

Offline shedchief

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 16:28:26 »
I've always fancied a lightweight lid in this style but I've never had much joy with helmets obtained by mail order.  Helmet shapes seem to vary a lot. Methinks I should start off by checking out some biking gear in person at the local J&S and HG - the Uvex seems a great buy.  Thanks for the consumer review.  :-)
Keith

Offline 2112

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 06:53:52 »
You're welcome  :thumb: