Author Topic: Arai Tour-X top tips  (Read 3619 times)

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Arai Tour-X top tips
« on: October 19, 2011, 14:05:55 »
Be careful if you fiddle with the rear vents whilst riding.. the vent covers can come off and they cost £25 a pair to replace :GRR:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
Re: Arai Tour-X top tips
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 14:34:13 »
I guess you learnt this from experience jonH?

I am constantly amazed at manufacturers, even the otherwise good ones like Arai, pay so little attention to the 'user experience'.

Of course if I were more cynical by nature my mind might have considered that they saw it as an opportunity to 'milk' their loyal customer base by designing stuff that falls off in order to sell them the replacement bits at vastly inflated prices.....but nobody could be that dishonest, right?  :shrug:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline jonH

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 20:10:13 »
I can't say it's filled me with confidence over the build quality, not really sure why they'd be designed to just clip on like that.. OK so the instructions always say don't fiddle with vents whilst riding and I'm sure some smug git at Arai would say just that should I complain but it still sucks  :rain:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 20:24:19 »
I've never been able to understand what all the Arai fuss is about, they feel just like any other cheap plastic helmet when you hold it in your hands. In fact, I've twice decided against buying Arai for that particular reason. Sure the padding is relatively nice (Shark padding it better...), but there's too much plastic and bits that can break off or look ugly after a bit of use. Has the paint on your chin vent started coming off yet?

ps. Yes, I am prepared for the full retaliation of all Arai lovers now :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jonH

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 21:35:22 »
no paint off the front although there's a bit off the top despite it never being knocked.

it's a great helmet and pisses all over my HJC IS-16 in every department apart from the internal sun visor altho the peak does a good job of making up for that, I just wish random bits wouldn't fall off during a ride!

Online 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:27 »
You've sent me scurrying off to check my vents now ! All in order, thankfully but I'll be extra carefull from now on  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jonH

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:55 »
the back ones just clip on over the adjusters, at the pivot

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 18:47:44 »
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a DSLR type camera whilst wearing the Arai Tour-X ?

What I mean is you have to put a DSLR camera to your eye to take a picture, whereas a point and shoot camera you just hold it out in front of you and look at the little screen.

So is there room to put a normal DSLR to your eye or will you have to take your helmet off to use it ?

Just thinking now I can use a camera with my Scorpion open face (scooter) lid but if I get a Tour-X and have to take the thing off every time I stop to take a picture then that could get a bit irritating on a two week trip. It could be a deal breaker ! so if anyone has the answer I would love to know.

Thanks

Offline jonH

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 21:29:06 »
the chin bit gets in the way - just tried it with both a full frame and aps-c dslrs. You can see a lot of the viewfinder but not all as you can't get the viewfinder any closer than 1.5-2 inches. I thought the aps-c one might fare better than the full frame, but it's not really that different (full frame dslr viewfinders have a wider view)

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 22:12:39 »
Quote from: "jonH"
the chin bit gets in the way - just tried it with both a full frame and aps-c dslrs. You can see a lot of the viewfinder but not all as you can't get the viewfinder any closer than 1.5-2 inches. I thought the aps-c one might fare better than the full frame, but it's not really that different (full frame dslr viewfinders have a wider view)

Thanks for the reply. I was a bit worried looking at the pictures of it but could not be sure. For me that is a deal braker as I like to stop by the road and get the camera out when on trips abroad.

Shame, was rather looking forward to getting a Tour X 4 but will now look at those flip up helmets instead. Thanks again.

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 19:49:10 »
Quote from: "Kaboo"
....... For me that is a deal braker as I like to stop by the road and get the camera out when on trips abroad.......

....on second thoughts maybe not.... :lala: managed to get  Tour X 3 in my size and colour choice, on discount sale - the last one   :lala:

Online 2112

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 22:12:32 »
Good work, I tried a few lids on at the bike show and none of them came close to the comfort of the Arai. Even BMW's carbon fibre tour x 'copy' was a poor second. Bloody light mind.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:38 »
I'm in the same camp as Juv, I have never been convinced by Arai and when I chatted with their rep one day he seemed a bit like a dodgy double glazing salesman. I suppose their price has to reflect how much they spend on sponsorship and publicity but I don't want to pay for that.

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:07 »
Been using Arai helmets for a few years now (Quantum F, S2, Viper) but for some reaon the Tour X3 isn't as comfy.  Tried the new AGV which felt cheap and nasty.  Finally got a Shoei DS Hornet in white for £250.  Shame erally as at the bike show I could have got a Tour 3 for less money.
Not had chance to test the Shoei yet (wifey says I can't have it yet as its my Xmas prezzie) but I will let you all know what I think once I get the cahnce to wear it for a while.
As an aside JT were selling the Arai chaser for £100 at the show.  Seem comy but not I nthe market for a lid like it til later next year.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Online 2112

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 19:32:13 »
I hope the Shoei suits you as I bought one and it was unusable due to the excessive noise. Very comfy, but the most noisy helmet I've ever had, gave me a headache inside 10 minuets with earplugs. I took it back to the dealers who sent it to Shoei UK and it came back as 'nothing wrong'... I fortunately off loaded it on ebay for a modest loss... That was on a Honda Varadero by the way not a 'Strom.