Author Topic: New Bike which screen position ?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline shirtyspamsam

New Bike which screen position ?
« on: November 08, 2010, 20:05:42 »
Hi All, first posting so please be kind!

Picked up my 2010 650 GT this saturday, rode it home 85miles, huge helmet vibe from screen air flow, very worrying when trying to get good first impressions !!!!

OK some of this may be my fault, I asked the dealer to set the Standard GT Screen to its highest setting as I am 6ft, hoping this would deflect most of the wind over my head ---------- in reality there is a huge turbulance swirle ocouring infront of my helmet pushing the air down into my lap (I can tell this is happening as it rained quite hard and the water on my visor was being pushed down, to the point where it was being flicked up under my chin and into my helmet !!!)

So I have read through most of the posts on screens and found none related to the GT screen as yet, any help would be most welcome.  :thumb:

Cheers

Sam

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Re: New Bike which screen position ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 22:03:40 »
GT screen is just the standard screen. I have mine on the highest possible setting (which is one setting higher than the manual suggests is possible) and then I have 3 washers between the screen and the mount at the bottom.

I can quite happily ride with my lid up at 70 if I so wish; I'm 5ft11, wearing an HJC IS-16 and ear plugs
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:11 »
I have the same Wee, I'm 183cm or 6ft for you oldies out there, :old:  fitted an MRA screen from HPS, much better now. Visor up all the time.Cracking service from HPS, screen arrived next day and only took me about 10 mins to fit.

http://www.bikehps.com/

Some pics here   viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6644

:auto-dirtbike:
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline beep

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 19:52:18 »
As mentioned the GT uses the standard screen. It's essentially the same bike as the standard ABS but with luggage and a centre stand. I can understand your disappointment with the screen, I felt the same riding my "new" bike home.

It has to be said that the Strom screen is probably one of the worst pieces of junk ever designed. Riding with no screen attached is an improvement - honest, give it a go! There's pages of info on here and elsewhere outlining possible solutions, everything from no-cost solutions (outlined by jonH) to more expensive solutions such as an MRA plus Madstad.

I'd suggest for your height, try the Tall MRA Vario (probably in the middle position). This seems to work most, if not all, who have tried it. If that doesn't solve it (after trying different heights for screen and lip), then buy a Madstad and start playing about with the tilt angle. I'd be amazed if you don't find a solution with an MRA + Madstad fitted.

I'd rate the MRA as the best accessory I've ever bought, but any change is better than the standard screen! The short sports screen fitted to the X model is an improvement over the standard, cuts out the buffeting, but doesn't give as much protection as the MRA.

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:59:04 »
To be fair the screen isn't that bad, it's the position it's in that's the problem. The washers tilted my screen back enough to reduce the pocket of turbulence - it's quite impressive how much it's changed from just tilting it back a touch. I reckon another washer might make it even better but I can't be arsed faffing when it's good enough as it is.

I'd say a madstad is the better purchase over an mra - the tall mra looks like a barn door in comparison and all the standard screen needs is a little tilting back - more expensive than washers but much less bother
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline beep

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:38:10 »
Quote from: "jonH"
I'd say a madstad is the better purchase over an mra - the tall mra looks like a barn door in comparison and all the standard screen needs is a little tilting back - more expensive than washers but much less bother

Totally agree - most people think the Wee is ugly enough already without adding the MRA :grin:

Offline smithy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:23 »
Quote from: "beep"
Quote from: "jonH"

Totally agree - most people think the Wee is ugly enough already without adding the MRA :grin:

Second that. Madstad fixed all my problems. Well, not ALL of them. Still short of cash and working too many hours. And got a bit of a spare tyre. And maybe a bit of hair loss. And......

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 13:59:43 »
I recently bought a Madstad, I already had the tall MRA Vario, but removed it to use a 2nd hand Givi barn door I got for the winter. Took me a few days and lots of adjustment, but I think I finally found the correct position. Only a very slight buffeting that I need to pay attention to to notice. The combination is working well except that I have my doubts about the benefit of the bigger screen vs the effect on the MPG and handling on windy days. Also, even though the screen is much bigger than the MRA Vario was, it doesn't seem to offer much more in the line of weather protection. I might try out the Madstad with the standard screen to see how well that works. I'm hoping that the Madstad and standard screen works well so that I can sell the MRA Vario on and recover some of the costs. Screens and what goes with them is a very personal choice, everyone seems to have a different story/opinion, but I think you can never go wrong with buying a Madstad, it's one of the best mods I've bought so far.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline raggydan

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 14:05:52 »
Yep madstad for me to with an mp cycle design screen(US based), you might also want to try the
aprilia mirrors as well, I noticed a lot less turbulence around my shoulders and sides of my helmet
when I fitted mine.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 14:12:55 »
Have the Aprillia mirrors with some extenders, I fitted them with when I had the stock screen so I never really noticed the difference in noise because of the screen's extreme buffeting. They do look better, but lately I've been pondering fitting ones that are more rectangular shaped rather than the odd shape the Aprillia ones are. I still like them much better than the original Strom ones.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 18:49:44 »
I found the perfect position for the standard screen on my 'Strom - in the box the MRA screen came in   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline eckthesaint

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 15:18:27 »
I've been reading a lot about the so called screen problem for wees and vees. I have the bog standard Suzuki screen with my wee. Admittedly not having doen any real distance on the bike compared to others but I have not found any major concerns. Only time I've been aware of helmet vibration seems to be on a certain up hill stretch if I'm doing around 50 mph. Seems to vanish above and below that speed and can't say I've noticed any other time. Think mines is on it's lowest height setting.
Of course it may just be my fat head buffering the vibrations :neen:
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
Spike Milligan

Offline medic5

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 18:52:41 »
On Suzuki web they show the upper screen part number 990D0-18H55.
I had this fitted new and ALL the wind buffering vanished!
The test bike did not have this and I must say even over 100mph there is no  problem what so ever.

Met a new V rider at the local bike dealer this morning and he also had a problem with the screen and is now looking at one of these.
:clap:  :banana-explosion:  :occasion-balloons:

Offline pearchug

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 23:27:36 »
I just tilted the screen back with 3 rubber tap washers on longer bolts in the bottom holes and I have the screen on the highest setting. I am very happy with the result, much less buffet at high speeds and tested during this very windy weekend. Cost 80p and 10 minutes so give it a try..

Offline Qjay

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 16:56:39 »
Quote from: "pearchug"
I just tilted the screen back with 3 rubber tap washers on longer bolts in the bottom holes and I have the screen on the highest setting. I am very happy with the result, much less buffet at high speeds and tested during this very windy weekend. Cost 80p and 10 minutes so give it a try..

I may give this a go, I've got problems with buffeting, standard screen and fittings... hmmm 4 years of buffeting and I cld have fixed it on day 1..... :(

Offline bencav

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 18:06:22 »
I have just fitted a tall MRA and the difference is astonishing!

I had the dark sport screen which IMHO is a heap too, it may be less turbulent, but it offers naff all wind protection.

Very happy with the MRA, riding with flip front up (its legal, its a Nolan) is comfy past 80mph (sorry kmph  :grin: )

Not sure if a madstad is needed, but will never say never!

Ben

Offline 2112

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 19:47:29 »
Ben, I found my screen nirvana (nevermind...) with a couple of washers behind the top mounting and the screen set at the second highest fixing point and the spoiler fully up. Have a bit play and you'll find the right setting  :thumb:

Offline bencav

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 21:37:47 »
Quote from: "2112"
Ben, I found my screen nirvana (nevermind...) with a couple of washers behind the top mounting and the screen set at the second highest fixing point and the spoiler fully up. Have a bit play and you'll find the right setting  :thumb:

I have it set spoiler fully up and on middle position, seems lots better than the original screen. When I get a moment I will have a play around with some washers!

Offline 2112

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 23:58:28 »
It's very much trial and error, with peronal preference mixed in. Perseverence will reap rewards  :thumb:

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 15:27:04 »
Madstad for me too, normal screen lifted all the way up, tilted very far forward. I'm 6ft tall bang on and works for me
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!