Author Topic: Gun gum bodge job time  (Read 2984 times)

Anonymous

Gun gum bodge job time
« on: June 17, 2010, 16:23:34 »
Need to shift the old Fazer, the predecessor to my Strom. Trouble is it has a couple of tiny cracks near the welds on the original downpipes which are making it noisy. Really really don't want to be buying someone else a new header as I'll never get the money back on the sale of an 03 commuter  hack - so bought myself some gun gum......

Instructions recommend putting it on while 'warm', but I'm wondering if I should be trying to get a bit on the inside too, in which case I need a bit of dexterity to squeeze it through a hot pipe. Not sure how much is enough either - I've got to get it through an MOT and suspect obvious application of the stuff will lead straight to a fail even though the rest of the pipe is actually in good nick.

Offline Hutchie

Re: Gun gum bodge job time
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 16:44:14 »
Get yourself a wee bit of the plastic or fibreglass honeycomb paper stuff that you can get for body filling.
Wrap that round the holes, then gungum the fk out of it. Smooth it out a bit when done.

Should fly through an mot like that, my old 1200 gets an mot every year that way.

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 21:16:13 »
Alternatively get someone with a welder to do a quick repair job, shouldn't cost much and will be enough to shift it and get through an mot ;)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 22:27:58 »
Quote from: "Hutchie"
Get yourself a wee bit of the plastic or fibreglass honeycomb paper stuff that you can get for body filling.
Wrap that round the holes, then gungum the fk out of it. Smooth it out a bit when done.

Should fly through an mot like that, my old 1200 gets an mot every year that way.

Thanks for the advice blokes. Considered getting it welded but it isn't desperately accessible which could mean removing the whole thing - which I'm trying to avoid.

Just to be clear, you leave the honeycomb stuff IN? That is a lot more gum than I'd been contemplating using, but if it works  :shrug:

Anyways - once again thanks.

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 15:06:17 »
Aye, or if you're not sure, get an exhaust bandage, wrap it round and plaster it with gungum.

No worries using too much, it dries up and flakes/breaks off over time anyway.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 19:46:33 »
Wet your hand in a bit of water helps with the application and smoothing things to look good, prevents it sticking to your skin.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline doebag

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:17 »
Gun Gum is perfectly acceptable at MOT providing the exhaust is securely fitted and not leaking. Had some on the rear pipe of my Strom until I got around to removing rear shock etc to get better access to properly repair the joint.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales