Author Topic: LOMO Drybag Panniers - anyone using?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
LOMO Drybag Panniers - anyone using?
« on: February 08, 2022, 09:33:20 »
I am thinking of buying the LOMO drybag panniers (https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/waterproof-motorcycle-soft-panniers-set.html#SID=118) when they’re back in stock.

Is anyone using these panniers? Was it a good decision or do you regret the decision? Also, do you find it a bit of a faff getting the things on and off the bike?

Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
Re: LOMO Drybag Panniers - anyone using?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 12:50:06 »
Was going to order as LOMO do good stuff (I have an excellent waterproof bag from them). However, they haven't had any for ages. I put myself on the notify list and still waiting ...
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 16:37:37 »
I've got the smaller Lomo bags on the crash bars & they are great, no water gets into them even in the worst rain.
However, I don't like 'throw over' panniers as I think they are a faff to put on & take off and not as secure if you leave your bike to go walk about when touring. I used some for one trip then they got sold!
Hard panniers all day for me.  :)   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 16:54:01 »
Several mates use their roll bags and they seem top notch in terms of quality and waterproofing.
Only downer I've seen is throw overs without frames scratching the paint on the sides of the tail section.
As Mick says, hard panniers all day for me due to security and ease of loading/unloading. I'm an oddball apparently though in that I prefer clamshell panniers to top loaders. The thing you want is always in the bottom and you can't open top loaders if you have a tent strapped across the pillion seat.

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 18:00:09 »
Thanks for the comments. I'm still torn between hard and soft. The soft are less bulky but like you say Barbel Mick, they're a faff to take on and off. I think that's all that's stopping me at the moment.  If I was getting soft though, I think I like the Lomo's. They don't look too cumbersome.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline Sculptor55

• Bike: DL650XT AM3
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 15:44:59 »
After much deliberation over hard vs soft luggage I decided to go with the Lomo panniers, hoping that they would give a slightly narrower setup.  Actual width when fitted is around 900mm, so slightly less than the handlebars which is reassuring in traffic.  It will of course depend on the choice of pannier frames, which are definitely needed.
The bags seem very well made, we’ve yet to use them for a fully loaded trip but I’m confident that they’ll be fine.  Fitting and removal is certainly more involved than with hard cases, but for me it’s not an issue.
The point about security is a valid one, I’ll have to live with that and try to minimise the risk.  As always it’s a compromise between size, weight, cost, aesthetics, security etc.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:39 »
My concern would be excessive exhaust heat. Not while riding, but when stuck in heavy traffic. Is there any sort of heat shield fitted?

Offline Sculptor55

• Bike: DL650XT AM3
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 13:08:32 »
Yes Gert, I fitted removable shelves to the pannier frames to help support the bags and also to protect from exhaust heat.

Offline Woody66

• Bike: DL1050XT, BMW F800R Sport
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 20:50:23 »
Ys I have used LOMO roll bags for some years, never ever let a single drop of water in. Very robust & the high viz type yellow is handy on the back of the bike for the optically challenge..and much cheaper than the similar coloured SW motech that costs about 3 times the price.

Offline Caffs

• Bike: BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 11:19:49 »
I have the 60 litre roll bag and the 5 litre crash bar bags, and they have never leaked and as a previous member has said at least 3 times cheaper than other suppliers.

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 22:19:08 »
I've got the 60L bag too. Can't fault it - and they do handy videos on Youtube about their products.
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey