Author Topic: Wee - YSS shock - anyone ever fitted one?  (Read 951 times)

Offline roganjoshing

• Loving my first Vee Twin
  • Bike: DL650 L0
Wee - YSS shock - anyone ever fitted one?
« on: August 27, 2020, 19:46:49 »
Anyone ever fitted a YSS shock to replace standard shock on Wee? Good or bad?

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Wee - YSS shock - anyone ever fitted one?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 09:17:13 »
I replied to the same question on the VStrom fb  page.........was it you?
Yes, I have one fitted to a 2013 650. It has taken me a while to get it something like OK. solo it was fine, almost from the off, but I ride two up most of the time and when first tested it was bottoming out with both of us on it.
I have wound the preload up to give it more height and taken some off the rebound, it is now better but not perfect! It is still 'harsh' on a big bump/pothole.
I am going to get a stiffer spring fitted.
Just to make you aware, when two up, the bike is carrying close to 30 stone (I make up the most of that  :whistle:) ,
It looks well made but hasn't got remote preload. You adjust it with the ring at the top and a bar. On the 2013 the frame stops you having a decent but of movement with the bar, making adjustment a pain. If you won't have to 'play' once set it'll be fine. The rebound damping is reasonably sensitive with noticeable difference with a click of two either way. It is also height adjustable, not sure by now much though.
To sum up, I would fit another if I was solo, for cost I think it's good. However two up I would spend more money and get a 'better one', I would also spend more and get one with remote preload.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 19:27:30 »
Hi Mick, Does yours have height adjustment? You could try increasing that...
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 20:04:15 »
Yes it has. Going back to the lad who fitted it for me soon and I'll discuss my options with him. I'm not too far off really. The bike handles fine, it's just this harsh/end of travel feeling on some bumps. It's worse for the pillion and I get to know about it through the intercom!!  :violence-smack:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.