Author Topic: Ratchets/Straps/Cargo nets?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline 03guyjam

Ratchets/Straps/Cargo nets?
« on: May 29, 2012, 21:48:54 »
Hello,
Anyone used either of the above for camping/luggage? What would you recommend? Was thinking of having sleeping bag on one pannier and tent on the other pannier? (facing towards the front of the bike in a dry bag)

Would one ratchet on each and a cargo net be an over kill or will just one or the other do?

Also post some pics of your bike geared up for camping :) I'm intrigued on how to fit everything on :)

(Bear in mind I'll be riding two up so using the back seat is not an option)

Offline BigFoot

• Bike: DL1000 L8
Re: Ratchets/Straps/Cargo nets?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 22:39:27 »
I bought some Touratech straps at the NEC last year.  I think 4 of them cost me a tenner.  They have been great for camping stuff on the bike and they are available in different lengths.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 00:49:10 »
By choosing camping gear very carefully, everything goes inside the panniers or top-box. I want to be able to park in a foreign city and go for a walk without worrying that someone will nick my tent!

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:38 »
:text-goodpost:  +1 Wot he said....

Offline Sven

Ratchets/Straps/Cargo nets?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:29 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
I want to be able to park in a foreign city and go for a walk without worrying that someone will nick my tent!

You obviously don't have Suzuki OEM panniers from a GT model.
If someone looks at them, they fall open.................

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:49 »
I did have for 3 years, never had one open unexpectedly. The secret is to listen for the click when you close them. I now have the new Hepco & Becker ones with toggle latch type fasteners.

Offline snowy

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:15:35 »
Hi

I always use "bungee" elastics as they take up the slack as the tent/ sleeping bag compress during the journey. Have a good trip :)
Never used a dry bag for the tent, they're supposed to get wet!.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 17:32:53 »
I use these Rok straps, they're really strong.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

But I also use some 'normal' bungees from poundworld which I was dubious about, but tested to their limits under strict lab conditions (well, OK, tied to the fence and pulled bloody hard!) and thet seem fine, I like they have a carabinier type fitting.
 I do sometimes bung a cargo net over the whole shebang in addition to keep odd stuff under (bottle of water, gloves, whatever, deter thievinghands, and generally stop owt flapping about
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

firestrom

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 19:34:35 »
I've used this site before and they are very reasonably priced and quick delivery

http://handystraps.co.uk/home.php

Offline 03guyjam

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 00:33:09 »
Cheers for the replies I'm going to test them out on sunday evening :)

Offline Steve33

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:36 »
+1 for Rokstraps. Think I've got at least two of each size.

http://www.traveldriplus.com/shop/misc-luggage.html

(Bought all mine from this bloke - keep an eye out for him at shows. Great kit, sensible prices and knows a bit about bike touring. No commercial attachment - just a happy customer)

Anything heavy gets two rokstraps in an "X" configuration, followed by a cargo net over the top. My theory is the Rokstraps hold the pack to the bike, and the cargo net stops the pack moving out from under the straps.

Cargo net also gives you somewhere to stash your waterproofs on that odd occasion the sun comes out.

I tend to go a bit overboard with bungies, Rokstraps and cargo nets - it means you've got extra should you make any purchases along the way.

If you are using waterproof bags (e.g. http://www.traveldriplus.com/shop/motorcycle-luggage/motorcycle-dry-bag.html), it's important you get as much air out as possible.

First time I used a large Ortlieb bag on the rear seat, I had two Rokstraps holding it on.  As the trapped air slowly escaped (I'd packed the bike the night before travelling) the straps ended up loose. I nearly ended up losing the pack a few miles down the road.

Nowadays, instead of using the roll-closure, I just fold the opening under the pack and attach it like that. Air can escape when you tighted the straps, but I've yet to have any rainwater get it.

Some waterproof bags come with an air valve in the bottom, so it can't just be me that's experienced this.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:45 »
I have bungees, mini ratchet straps and cargo nets. As Fatbelly says, if you buy the right stuff you can fit most of it in the panniers and top box. My chair and 2 man tent goes in the top box, but my 3 man tent has to go on the back seat. I mini ratchet strap the 3 man tent to the back seat and then either some cross fixed bungees or the cargo net as a 'backup' (I'm not posh enough to have ROK straps.) It depends on what I carry which combination of bungee, mini ratchet straps and cargo nets I use, but I usually use 2 out of 3 and chuck the others in the top box in case I need them. If you have some of each you can make them work in any situation for anything you need to carry and they don't take up much space (although they have a habit of getting entwined in each other all by themselves.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 17:17:24 »
hell, that's a good point, steve33, about ensuring the air is out - hadn't thought of that one! I'll do that next time though, what a horrible thought... :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline bencav

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 18:55:19 »
I've used these for straps:

http://handystraps.co.uk/home.php

and these for drybags:

http://www.ewetsuits.com/

Cheaper than Aldi, perfect service and the products are top notch!