Author Topic: Knee Pads  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ChrisGrandaB

• Bike: V=Strom 650 (K7)
Knee Pads
« on: January 25, 2012, 20:05:46 »
As you probably know, I'm new to biking.
I bought a pair of Akito trousers from E-Bay, quite cheap at £30 but they seem OK .
They've got armour in the hips and knees, removable lining and a jacket zip.
They fit really nicely except, when I'm off the bike, the knee pads seem to be around mid shin level and slightly rotated in towards my inner leg.
I think they're prodably in the right position when I.m on the bike but possibly still a bit rotated inward.
I bought some braces which have improved things (except a slight ball strangulation after a while)
Is it normal for knee pads to be so low or is it because I've scrimped? :confusion-shrug:

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
Re: Knee Pads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 21:17:52 »
I have leather and textile trousers and both my knee pads are below my knees when standing. I'm sure its got to do with getting them right when riding. One pair is expensive... Ish and other cheap. I did have another pair that had very low pads but they were too long and that's why. I find tucking them in my boots stops them going down too far. If they fit, are comfortable when riding and do the job they are OK to me
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 21:39:23 »
Yes mine hang low (and the knee pads lol ) but when in riding position and with tallish boots as willbo says, they push up on to my knees. Something I've always wondered though - if you come off the bike will they hang down low again and miss protecting your knees? But most bikers have this situation I think, so perhaps it is OK.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 22:23:14 »
Mine rattle my shins when I walk to the bike, but are bang on my knee while riding. So I don't think you need to worry too much.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 23:06:38 »
On some trousers they are adjustable, turn the trousers inside out and check. My old Akito Desert gear had a bit of adjustment.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog