Author Topic: MX Goggles  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
MX Goggles
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:51 »
Was at the NEC bike show, bought myself a MX helmet, the HJC AC-MX. The peak is removable, the lining is comfy and completely removable so you can wash it and it has a double D-ring for fastening. There is also a recessed space at the ears for fitting speakers. The best thing is that I got it for £65 instead of the usual ~£130.

So now I need some goggles to go with it. I was thinking to get some yellow ones for normal conditions and some dark tint/reflective ones for sunny conditions. I'm light sensitive and I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses, they are the best sunglasses I've ever owned for my "condition". I was looking at the Oakley MX goggles and I know they are probably decent, but there are plenty of other brands out there.

Can anyone with some experience tell me what to look for when comparing different goggles? Would you recommend I get one set of goggles that supports changing the lenses or is that more hassle than just buying 2 different goggles? Is it even a good thing to have goggles where the lenses are removable? Dark tint or reflective: which is best for sunny conditions?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline temporaryescapee

Re: MX Goggles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:09 »
Hi juvecu - I am no expert but have two hjc off road helmets (1 is an ac) and use a set of Oakley goggles which have been great.  Not sure of the range of options - mine are plain with tear off posts.

Having used them for about 4 years my observations would be:

Plain has been fine for me since always have the peak on the helmet which deals with the sun

Ventilation means they are very good with misting - but obviously cold when it's cold

Open face is a nightmare in the rain at any sort of speed - bought my second hjc helmet with a visor after getting fed it with riding with one hand over my face in the rain to stop the feeling of being repeatedly stabbed in the face with a bunch of needles

With the peak on its obviously more susceptible to wind moving trying the rip your helmet off at motorway type speeds

When I replace my goggles I will buy oakleys plain again (have never used the tear offs).

Chain reaction cycles tend to sell last season stuff cheap and has been a good source of offroad stuff for me in the past.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 22:34:26 »
Thanks for the advice :thumb:

I won't use the helmet for normal everyday riding, just in the warmer months when there's no sign of rain and probably never when riding on tarmac.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 23:45:14 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Was at the NEC bike show, bought myself a MX helmet, the HJC AC-MX. The peak is removable, the lining is comfy and completely removable so you can wash it and it has a double D-ring for fastening. There is also a recessed space at the ears for fitting speakers. The best thing is that I got it for £65 instead of the usual £130
Not as much of a bargain as my Shoei Hornet DS though - £230! Cheapest I can find online is £330. And those gloves from the nice looking lady on the Infinity stand (you remember, I'm sure :-) are very nice too.

Good to meet you and Drac there, and shame you wouldn't let me take a pic of you on the Triumph 1200GS for the forum!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:25 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
...and shame you wouldn't let me take a pic of you on the Triumph 1200GS for the forum!
To be fair, I did offer that you can take a picture where I sit on it covering my face :grin:

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 21:27:42 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Quote from: "SimonW"
...and shame you wouldn't let me take a pic of you on the Triumph 1200GS for the forum!
To be fair, I did offer that you can take a picture where I sit on it covering my face :grin:
You were still identifiable from the sandals  :grin:  (which, I hope you don't mind my saying, didn't really look right with the 'adventure' style bike!  :grin: )

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 22:33:46 »
lol