Author Topic: No clutch fluid!  (Read 707 times)

Offline Estuarybiker

No clutch fluid!
« on: May 12, 2020, 14:04:52 »
My V-Strom (1000 AL4 2015) had been stationary over winter and I had almost no clutch pressure on the lever.  Further examination showed the fluid was below the 'low' level and I topped up and pressure came back.  I had seen there were some issues with dirt getting past the seal and that in turn required cleaning and replacement.  My bike was in for service and I got the dealer to fix the problem....I thought  :GRR: After a few hundred miles it has returned!!  I'm willing to give it a go and attempt to repair myself (the dealer is closed at present due to C-19).  Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated  :shy: :shy:  I do some volunteer work so keen to get this working properly again. 

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: No clutch fluid!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 14:40:12 »
Sounds like the slave cylinder is leaking if the fluid level drops and there are no external signs of fluid loss.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 14:48:02 »
As Tallpaul says, it's the symptoms of a slave cylinder fluid leak.

Have a look in the download section and find the service manual for the model bike.

Clutch slave cylinder - disassemble/inspect/reassemble should be the sub section under brakes.

Fairly easy to do, but you are best to order a slave cylinder seal kit and change the seals first as last.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Estuarybiker

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 22:33:25 »
Thanks tallpaul and mr_diver. Seems to have fixed it. Much appreciated!!