Author Topic: Leaking Oil Cooler Hose  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: Leaking Oil Cooler Hose
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 17:26:21 »
Search for  “14mm Dowty seal” on Fleabay,they are only a couple of quid for 5.Plus they are designed for VERY high pressure and temperatures,and that includes free postage.I have been using this type of seal on hydraulics for 50 yrs and never known one fail.
Ian Mc.

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 18:01:14 »
The washers I used were m14x20x2 banjo bolt washers(Aluminium).  I bought 2 oem washers but needed more so sourced them from fleabay after measuring them.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 16:11:49 »
Hi Folks.

Just wanted to post a follow-up completion comment on this repair.

The parts arrived from the US very quickly. The seller included both of the oil pipes, plus the banjo bolts and a full set of washers. The condition of the pipes, given that they were second hand, was outstanding. No sign of rust whatsoever (they came from Kansas in case you are interested). I'll admit, I was very nervous ordering a second hand part from that far away, but as previously stated, buying it in the UK was just far too expensive.

I also ordered some of the 14mm 'Dowty' washers as recommended here, but given that a full set of washers was included in the purchase of the pipes (I knew the banjo bolts were included but not the washers), I ended up not using the 'dowty' washers. I definitely have other things I can use them for so they won't go to waste and are a great design. I was unaware that these existed until they were suggested.

I also took the advice on the silicone tape and purchased some "Permatex Self-fusing Silicone Tape". This stuff was great and I used it to wrap the new pipes on the exposed metal sections and over the rubber protector (where my original pipe eventually rusted through). The pipes are new thoroughly protected.

I drained the oil and removed the oil filter (It was also quite rusted so I changed it for a new one). The oil cooler pipes came OFF without incident and I took the opportunity to clear the whole area around the joints with engine degreaser. Refitting went without any problems and I torqued up the banjo bolts to the setting in the workshop manual.

Finally I refilled with oil and let her run for a while so I could check for leaks. Nothing so far and I think it's job done. I have left the belly plate off for now so I can easier inspect the area for a while.

Oh, I also applied ACF anti-corrosion grease (the blue stuff) to all the banjo bolt heads and any remaining exposed pipe so as to fend off any early corrosion.

I'll finish this with some photographic goodness.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 19:19:07 »
Looks like you scored a decent set of hoses there mate: good for a few more years again.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 20:25:19 »
Hello Des,just noticed that you have the same model as I have.Just for interests sake,how many miles do you have on it and is it used all year round.
Ian Mc.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 21:13:20 »
Hello Des,just noticed that you have the same model as I have.Just for interests sake,how many miles do you have on it and is it used all year round.

Well, I'd have to go check on the mileage, but what I can tell you is that I'm not using the old girl quite as much as I used to. We had a change of jobs in the family that required a second car. I mulled long and hard about selling her but couldn't bring myself to do it. So I spend alot of time making sure she is well maintained. I used to use her every day, now it's once in a blue moon.