Author Topic: Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal  (Read 4762 times)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal
« on: September 28, 2015, 17:00:13 »
So, the new forum "time machine" deleted my thread. So good job I did all the work in Microsoft Word then so I still have a copy. Nice try Mr Rat.
:neen: :neen: :neen:

“WHAT!” I hear you say. “He finally went and did it?”

After thinking it through and always having a reason not to, I finally decided back in April that I was going to fix something for 2015. So I booked a Portsmouth-Santander crossing. I have spent a large part of the time since April on researching, learning to use Garmin Basecamp and changing my mind on exactly where I was going to go from Santander.

Now picture the scene of one of my recent posts. I dropped the bike for the first time ever, just 24 hours before I was going to leave for a ferry, with not much hope of getting any repairs done. Now imagine the sense of relief I had when all that was wrong was that the ball was missing off the brake lever.

So here I am, typing this from a foreign land while part way round a 2000 mile trip.

Day 1 – Home to Portsmouth, 95 Miles
It’s 1pm and I am just about to leave home for the Portsmouth to Santander Ferry. The Battle of Britain Spitfire and Hurricane flypast was supposed to happen in Swindon at 12:52, but despite having my camera ready I never did see the planes. But the bike was all tidily packed into the E22 panniers.

The ride down to Portsmouth was uneventful and despite it being a day with showers predicted, it turned out to be dry all the way. I’m sure you all know where Portsmouth is, but here is the route anyway.

I filled up just outside the ferry terminal so I wouldn’t have to worry about that in Spain and took my place in the boarding queue. It was surprisingly warm for a mid-September “showery” day and I was glad I didn’t have to queue in the rain.

Just after I took this picture, a BMW1600GT pulled up next to me and the owner recognised the forum logo and said he used to be a member. He couldn’t remember his username (useful!) but said he got some panniers from a nice bloke in Durham who used to be a fireman. I suggested that was Jeff999 then and he confirmed he knew the name and it was him. So, Jeff, you are a top bloke according to another bloke I met in Portsmouth. I cannot identify him using the search, perhaps Jeff can tell us who it may be?

I got chatting to the bloke in front of me too. He was off down to Lisbon and said it was his first trip down to Spain, despite having done a few Alps trips. He thought that the ferry was docking in Santander at midday so wasn’t too happy when I told him it was 6pm and the ferry was already going to be an hour late to leave. He had 120 miles to go for his hotel, so was only a little cheered when I told him I had 150 miles to do.

Fortunately they started loading the bikes first and I was third on, so the bike was quickly strapped down by the team and I went up to the world’s smallest cabin.

The rest of the day was uneventful, the meal went down nicely and I slept really well.

Day 2 – Santander to Valladolid, 155 miles
On Day 2, the weather Gods took revenge. The crossing was awful. We were already late leaving as the Ferry had been delayed on the way up from Santander, but the weather was really bad on the way back down again. Thanks to the remnants of Tropical Storm Henri, the Bay of Biscay was a nightmare. I got breakfast in quite early, but the sea got really bad and I started to feel really queasy. I’ve no idea how I wasn’t sick and spent several hours laying curled up on my bed so I could get to a toilet/sink really quickly.

The captain had all the doors locked to prevent people going outside and the Duty Free shelves were totally wrapped in Cling Film. I ventured up there after a few hours to get some of the super strength Ginger Biscuits which are supposed to minimise the symptoms. They did work quite well for me, but several hours sleep probably contributed too. The arrival time to Santander kept getting put back too. After another delay was announced I decided that I better try some tea, which just led me to get another bag of biscuits. There were only two packets left, so I will get some as soon as I get on for the return.

On the way down to the bike deck there were lots of riders joking about whether they would find their bike standing or not as the crossing had been so bad. Unfortunately, some of them were right. It was carnage down there and there were four bikes close to me that were on their sides and lots of others with a neighbour’s bike leaning in it. Most of the casualties were GS’s and most were new too. I genuinely felt sorry for them. I couldn’t see the whole deck from my area but rumours were that there were a dozen fallers. The damage was all cosmetic other than one knackered brake lever. My bike appeared to be standing in a puddle of petrol. I was never sure if it was from the horizontal bikes or where I had brimmed mine before getting on board and it had sloshed around and down a breather pipe.

I’m going to take the view that return trip cannot be as bad.

The boat finally docked at 10:15pm local time. It took me 45 minutes to get off the boat and through customs, so that was 11pm and I still had around 150 miles to go. My first ever ride on the wrong side of the road (I have never driven there either) and the roads were empty. Santander was a little drizzly, but that had stopped within 5 miles. The rest of the ride was on empty motorways and nobody overtook me for over 100 miles.

Into my hotel at 1:30am and surprisingly awake.

Day 3 – Valladolid to Gibraltar, 515 miles
This became my longest day on a bike, by about 100 miles. Time wise I have been out longer, but nothing like the distance. I had deliberately picked a cheap Hotel, Valladolid Ibis (£34), with a petrol station next door. So, a quick fill-up at 7:30am and I was away. It was dark, cold and the bike was smothered in dew.

I had planned a couple of petrol stations at 190 mile intervals and was homing in on the first one by 10am. I got the distance about right going by the flashing pump symbol as I pulled up. However, they had no petrol, so back on the motorway hoping for a miracle, which appeared 10 miles down the road. So, that’s tank two for the day and back on the motorway. This was always going to be a long slog day, so I wasn’t going to hang around.

Midday passed with 326 miles showing on the trip meter and road signs showing I was closing in on Seville. Yet again I judged the petrol perfectly and pulled in to Carrefour in Seville with the pump symbol flashing again. Time for some lunch and a picture.

Seville turned out to be my first real experience of the wrong side of the road without a central reservation in the way. It was busy and a good five mile stretch to get to the next Autovia. I was in two minds on whether to take the toll road to Jerez but the Sat Nav said continue, so I did that and stayed on the more interesting and more challenging, older road.

There were some fabulous road signs around Jerez. Fair enough, it was a WSB Weekend, but these signs were permanent.

Just outside Los Barrios, the rock of Gibraltar appeared over a hill and then vanished again as I went down into a valley. That was good enough for me, a real sign that a long day was nearly over and a sense of achievement that, although I wasn’t actually there yet, I had done it.

I went down into La Linea and along the harbour front, to find ….. No border queue ….. it really had been a good day by then. I ignored the Sat Nav in Gibraltar as it looked to be sending me up one way streets and just rode to my Brothers house the way I knew. I pulled up at 4:15pm, so just under 9 hours for 515 miles.

My Brother thinks he’s opening a showroom.

The rest of the day was Beer, Chat, Beer, Chat, Beer, Curry and Beer, Chat.

Days 4 to 8
Holiday (for me and the bike). Down in the town for beer, coffee and churos on Day 4 and a family car ride to Cadiz on Day 5. Gibraltar Car show on Day 6, a walk over to Spain on Day 7 and spent Day 8 resting (meaning eating and drinking) in Gibraltar.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
Re: Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 17:02:37 »
This bit was also posted before the forum time machine event

Day 9
More sitting around so lucky I am good at eating and drinking. Collected Dave from the Gibraltar Post Office and took him around for a few photos in the Main Square and at the airport.

Day 10
My Brother took the day off so we could ride around the Gibraltar. In the morning we kept to sea level and did around 15 miles (when the whole country is only 2.6 square miles).

Under the rock

Dave sees a waterfall out of the side of the rock

From a bridge at the base of the rock

In the evening we went up the rock and did another 10 miles. The view from the top (or as high as the public can go anyway) was stunning.

About half way up

At the top

Just after this picture was taken, my super reliable never broken down before Strom decided that it’s battery had taken too much grief today and it should die unannounced. I had considered changing it before I came out as it was still the 11 year old original and now I started to wish I had. So, 6pm at the top of the Rock of Gibraltar, with a broken down bike and needing to leave the next morning.

I have never had to bump start this bike before, so to find my first attempt being down a super steep slope of the Rock of Gibraltar was a bit daunting. It would only have been a 200m fall to my death if it had jolted, so no pressure then. It certainly wouldn’t need a push and I had several hundred meters to get it to go. Fortunately it started quickly.

My Brother knew of a Back Street garage that doesn’t even open until 6pm, so that was a right stroke of luck. Tests suggested it was just the battery and that the charging system was OK. They couldn’t get a battery until tomorrow though. So, queue the panic and a run over to Spain in the Car to look for something. We eventually found one in a Carrefour Supermarket at 9:30pm. I couldn’t believe it, in the bike and all done by 10:30pm. I slept better than I thought I was going to.

Chief Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 17:07:43 »
New Bits, After the forum time machine event

Day 11 – Gibraltar to Lisbon, 451 miles
Engine started fine, so a quick ride down towards the border for petrol. The plan had been to get some the night before, but the battery “fun” ruined that one. I was pleased to see the bike start again at the Petrol Station and headed off over into Spain.

Today was another “route one” motorway slog, avoiding the toll road up to Seville and filling up in the same place as I did on the way down. From there, up the motorways to get level with Lisbon and then head west towards Portugal. I decided to get my second tank full in Portugal as I had enough to do so. That was my first mistake, as soon as I got to Portugal and turned off to avoid the Toll Road, the Petrol Stations disappeared. The bendy road was more enjoyable, but I was running low and getting a bit worried. In the end I reprogrammed the Sat Nav for the nearest petrol station, which turned out to be a little shack on the side of a shop, but I was happy enough and so was our mascot friend.

After filling both myself and the bike, I cleared the “Avoid Toll Rad” flag. My expected arrival time reduced by well over an hour and all for 14 euros. Lisbon was fun in rush hour, but I got to within 200 yards of the hotel before getting to a roundabout that had two separate routes through as well as round and I didn’t go slow enough for the Sat Nav to rotate the screen for the right exits. That was my second mistake. I got it right on the third attempt and dumped the bike in the hotels underground Car Park.

That was a shattering ride of nearly 9 hours.

Day 12
Just spent the day around Lisbon City Centre, looking for presents for the family and taking a few photos of Dave the Rat. That was also the end of the “holiday” section and it’s now all about getting home.

Day 13 – Lisbon to Valadollid, 411 miles
Another motorway slog so that I can be “nearly” home. After reading lots of info on the Portuguese Toll Road system, I decided to come out the same way I went in, knowing which toll road it was and where the booths were. I had to avoid the gantry systems otherwise you have to find a service station to pay in. So I went for a 7am departure from the hotel Car Park.

I got my first petrol after just 40 miles and knew I would make it to Spain then. I got a second tank just as I started to go north from Cacares. (This caused the Sat Nav to reset the tracking when I deleted the original choice of petrol station, so the route is in two bits). I reckon I might just have made it all the way from there, but I’m definitely seeing lower MPG with the panniers on. I decided to get a third tank after only 130 miles. This was just around midday and after 316 miles.

I got to the same IBIS in Valladolid that I stopped at on the way down, filled up for a fourth time so I had enough petrol for the remaining 150 miles to Santander that I need to do tomorrow.

This was a much easier day than the heat of getting to Lisbon on Friday.

Chief Stasi

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 21:56:22 »
:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Sounds like a damn good holiday there, Martin! And popped your 'wrong side of the road' cherry. (hmm, I could have phrased that better lol ).

There was people from the ABr forum talking about those recent ferry crossings, the bikes going over etc...bloody nightmare!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:15:58 »
Cheers Dave - Maybe it was a bit of a big undertaking for a first crossing, especially unaccompanied, but it's great to think I have finally done it.
 :thumb:

Chief Stasi

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 15:23:38 »
Martin, what date did you sail? We sailed 22nd, ferry was delayed but only 1/2 hr or so due to bad weather! Was expecting the worst but although a bit lumpy overnight was great next day.
Now in the Algarve having a few days rest.
Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 15:26:01 »
The 15th Mick - We hit the tail end of a Tropical Storm.

Chief Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 21:18:55 »
Day 14 – Valladolid to Santander, 151 miles
Another early start as I had a ferry to catch and wanted time to look around Santander itself. I left at around 8am in order to get to Santander around 10am.

The ride was a lot slower than some of the previous days as I had loads of time to get there and it was very cold and foggy. The mountain route I had to go through was interesting, with no real visibility and my fingers freezing rapidly. I had heard before that this could be a cold section, but didn’t think it could be that bad in September.

I decided that if I filled up at around the 100 mile mark, then I needed 50 more to Santander and another 90 to get home, so it would be the last time I needed to do so. At the petrol station I dug out the thermal gloves and was relieved to find I started going downhill after a few miles anyway. It was a relief to warm up from there.

I pulled in to Santander, straight to the new port entrance gates and up to an empty check in desk. I was first in the queue, so that was good too.

I saw the same bloke on the BMW 1600GT and he confirmed that he did ride down to meet Jeff999 (So a correct ID there Jeff).

We got onto the Ferry quite quickly and left on time with flat and calm seas ahead (not like the route over then)

Day 15 – Portsmouth to Swindon, 93 miles
An early breakfast, a bit of surprise at how far the ferry had gone overnight and getting ready to dock for 14:15, so an uneventful crossing and a relief after the one from two weeks ago. Every bike was still standing and I was soon on my way home.

No real problems with what side of the road to be on as I had the M275, M27, M3, A34, M4 and two dual carriage ways to ride. I only had to choose a particular side of the road for the last 400 yards.

Bike parked up exactly where I started from and 1904 miles completed. With 7 days parked at my Brothers, a day parked in Lisbon and 2 days parked on Ferries, I did those miles in around 5 days.

What did I learn and would I do it again?

I learnt that
    It really isn’t that difficult to adjust to the other side of the road
    The Strom can do some monstrous mileages on consecutive days
    It would have been a right PITA to try that without a Sat Nav
    Despite packing carefully, I took a few things I didn’t need or use
    Don't go on a Portuguese Motorway without a wallet full of Euros

Would I do it again?
    I would do a shorter trip next time
    I would go with someone or fly my wife to a meeting point
    Remote hotels to break up long rides can be lonely places
    Don’t ride for too long in that heat without a bottle of water per fuel stop

Chief Stasi

Offline AlanK

• Bike: Vstrom 650 2011 (pre change model
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:53 »
Hi Martin,
Excellent report on your trip which I really enjoyed reading. I was the bloke on the K1600GT and I am sorry that I could not remember my forum name!! My only excuse is that I am on several forums and have been forced to use different names on several of them.  
Yes, the outward crossing was not one I would like to do again but thankfully the return was OK. I have used Brit Ferries many times but I think that I would rather face a trip through France in future to get to Spain & Portugal than put up with many issues I have with them (including the very shabby way they treat bikers).
I still have my Vstrom and am just about to go out for a run in a few minutes around Loch Earn and Loch Tay with some friends. Just wish the weather was more like what we had two weeks ago as opposed to the grey skies and light rain we have this morning in Edinburgh.
All the very best to you, Jeff 999 and everyone else on the forum - I will continue to visit it regularly and contribute when I feel the urge!
Alan

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:22:32 »
Hi Alan - It was good to meet you and your Wife.

Good to hear from you and good to hear you still use your Strom. Grumps also has a 1600GT and a Strom, so you are not the only one with such a varied collection.

I hope I never get another crossing like the one we endured on the way out.

When I got home (in about 80 minutes) I felt sorry for you and the bloke from Orkney, who probably both had a couple of days more riding to do and on English/Scottish motorways rather than empty Spanish roads.

Chief Stasi

Offline AlanK

• Bike: Vstrom 650 2011 (pre change model
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 19:46:57 »
Hi Martin
One of the drawbacks to living up here is that we have one heck of a ride to get to the ferry ports - Newcastle and Hull are great for trips for Northern and Eastern Europe ( been as far as Poland) but for Spain its either Portsmouth or Plymouth. The worst part for me is always the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham and then things usually get better. This year we stayed in Malvern on both the outward and return legs as we could not do the trip in one chunk as my wife has a knee cartilage problem and the painkillers only last so long! The K16 does soak up the miles but is not so good if you need to filter stationary traffic on the M6 as it is a heavy beast and quite wide.
It was great being out on the Weestrom today (its first run since Spain) as it reminded me how good it is.
All the best.
Alan

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 20:59:42 »
Great ride report  :thumb: . Yes riding through Spain on the motorways is very boring, not sure if I'd ever do it again, what a slog !  Maybe I could do it with more stops and take a route off the main roads. Bad luck with the battery but amazing how long it's lasted, never had a battery last half that.