Author Topic: New owner.....slightly puzzled!!!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline scratch

New owner.....slightly puzzled!!!
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:32 »
Swapped my zzr 1200 two days ago for a 2004 V Strom 1000 and loving it so far. I live in Northants and am going a rally at Tan Hill in a couple of weeks to so should get to know about the bike on that longish ride.
When I got the bike the dealer told me the previous owner had fitted some sort of device to help with fueling at one stage but believed it was now back to standard.Under the seat I found two small Plug in electrical units, one with a switch the other witha small black plastic box about an inch square.
Has anyone it any idea what might be??  Thanks
So get on your bad motor scooter and ride.......

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: New owner.....slightly puzzled!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:50:32 »
Welcome, scratch  :welcome: - glad you're enjoying the bike!

Somebody with a vee (I've got the 'wee' ie the 650) will be along soon I bet, to figure out your mysterious electronics, but it might be a Power Commander - are there any markings/numbers or owt on the units? Can you post a picture or two (there's advice under 'Pictures' section on how to do this...) :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:26 »
Hi &  :welcome:

Yep, a picture will help a lot, if we can see it we can probably figure out what it is.

Remember to update your forum profile with your location. If you like you can get yourself added to the members map, see my signature for the link  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:50:21 »
hi new owner and  :welcome2:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 13:13:09 »
:welcome:  :welcome:  :welcome2:  :welcome2:there are many things on my wee that puzzle me. What does this do what does that do. So far I've managed to resist temptation to give them a prod . Usually don't end good for me
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 13:14:48 »
Hello  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline Mad Phil

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 15:03:05 »
Its a TRE.

Timing Retardation Eliminator..

Hello

Offline scratch

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 16:32:31 »
Thanks everone for the quick replies. I will try and take a couple of photos if I can figure it out. The parts are not fitted to the bike at present. What the heck is a Timing Retardation Eliminator and why would one be needed/fitted?

Offline carlos

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 19:26:28 »
Hello  :welcome2:  a friend have one on his bike  it got it from here http://www.tachyonmotorsports.com/tre.html
To start with the basics, the TRE (timing retard eliminator) uses a resistor circuit to create a voltage drop equal to that of 5th gear on selected Suzuki bikes, and the ECU thinks its in 5th gear all the time (except for the B-king & M109R, which is 4th gear), regardless of what gear you are actually in. This is important because the 5th gear map does not incorporate the factory timing retard that is used in gears 1-through-4 up to 4000rpm. By removing this, you have increased torque in the lower end in those first four gears at low RPM's. Throttle response is much smoother, and the top speed limiter is inactive. In other words, this is how the bike should have left the factory in the first place.

The SMART TRE automatically uses the stock map while the bike is in neutral (typically warming up), and then it switches to the timing retard eliminator mode after you put the bike into gear. Great way to go easy on your bike!

In addition to the SMART feature, there is a manual on/off toggle switch on the SMART switched TRE! So you can revert to the stock map whenever you wish! Great for service & when you bring the bike into the dealer!

ALL of the TRE's that I offer use GENUINE Suzuki plugs & high-quality construction. You don't want some cheap Chinese imitation plug losing a connection at triple-digit speeds, don't trust your bike with the other blokes, go with our high-quality offering and rest assured with our lifetime warranty.

Offline scratch

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 19:52:56 »
Thanks Carlos

One of the items definitly looks like the TRE on the American Website you attached. Just need to figure out how to fit it now. Has anyone out there got one on their bikes and is it worth fitting??

Cheers

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 21:14:59 »
Hi &  :welcome2:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline coopmick

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 23:46:39 »
:welcome:  sounds like TRE to me
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!

Offline Indiana2002

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 13:24:38 »
Quote from: "scratch"
Swapped my zzr 1200 two days ago for a 2004 V Strom 1000 and loving it so far. I live in Northants and am going a rally at Tan Hill in a couple of weeks to so should get to know about the bike on that longish ride.
When I got the bike the dealer told me the previous owner had fitted some sort of device to help with fueling at one stage but believed it was now back to standard.Under the seat I found two small Plug in electrical units, one with a switch the other witha small black plastic box about an inch square.
Has anyone it any idea what might be??  Thanks
Does one of the electrical plugs look like this:

This one has a cover over the connector.

Cheers
Al.
BTW,  :welcome:
Wee owner, but never ridden one in the outside lane of the motorway yet!!

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 00:11:12 »
Hi and  :welcome:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline scratch

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 23:35:30 »
Well thanks for your help identifying the strange electrical bits I inherited with the bike. It was indeed a TRE and switch. I had the TRE fitted today by a mate (looked dead easy) and it definitly seems to give some more lower down power and improves smoothness.
Had the bike for about a week now and loving it so far

Cheers :

Online 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 13:01:11 »
:welcome:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'