Author Topic: Almost a V-Strom owner  (Read 1774 times)

Offline davvers

Almost a V-Strom owner
« on: September 06, 2011, 22:19:05 »
Hi all......I am a retired chap and have been riding an ER6f for the last 3 years. It's a good bike but no matter what I try I have never had a "comfy" seat. There is a pristine 650GT AK7 for sale locally (not at a Suzuki dealer) and I am sorely tempted to buy it. Would I be right in thinking that the V-Strom has a better padded seat. If I could get an all day test ride I wouldn't bother you blokes but that's not an option. Also is it possible to lower the bike a wee bit as at 820mm I might struggle to get my old stiff leg over ( no giggling at the back). FYI I never carry a pillion so I don't expect any problem with reduced ground clearance.  
I live a few miles south of Edinburgh and most of my riding is in Scotland . With the great biking roads up here I don't really feel the need to go anywhere else and usually don't go more than 250 miles in a day.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Almost a V-Strom owner
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 22:33:41 »
Hi &  :welcome:

The 650 seat doesn't have much padding to keep it "low", but it's wide and that makes it quite comfortable. There are other seat options, but they normally add a bit of height. As for lowering, you can do the usual dogbones swap to get it lower by about 25mm, drop the forks through a bit and keep the preload on the lowest settings.

Remember to update your forum profile with your location. If you like you can get yourself added to the members map, see my signature for the link  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 22:45:00 »
Hi &  :welcome2:  davvers

I've never ridden an ER6 so can't really compare directly but if you check out the Oily Rag section for threads on seats and lowering, there are many options for both topics. When I first got my Wee it was the most comfortable bike I'd ever had but I pretty soon realised that anything more than about 90 mins ride had me shuffling about trying to get comfortable and eventually stopping for a walk round.

I recently swapped seats with another forum member as at 6'4" I figured a little more padding might help the situation (the Vee seat is about 20mm higher and slightly different profile than the Wee).

So far, so good. I'm liking it but I haven't really had a chance yet to do a serious ride....
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 00:58:28 »
Hi and  :welcome:

The strom is a comfy bike, I'm sure you'd love it with a lowering kit!
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:05 »
hi and  :welcome:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline Oldie

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:30:20 »
Hi davvers  :welcome2:

Very easy to lower the Wee (dogbones are about £15) and it's a diy job.

The seat is fairly comfortable and a couple of hundred miles is fine. A sheepskin might add a bit more comfort on longer trips.

Prices are a bit odd at the moment (combination of new model and general market conditions) but they are generally good second hand buys.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline frez

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:24 »
Many people find the Wee seat uncomfortable for long distances and swap it either for a Vee seat or a gel seat. I recommend you get a test ride that lasts at least an hour to confirm it is OK for you. As mentioned, yiou can lower it with dog bones, or by purchasing the lower profile seat, but I have no idea how comfortable that seat is. Personally I use a gel seat.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:09 »
Hi and  :welcome:

I did the lowering dog-bones, and its a good mod for me (5' 8"). The seat issue is a personal one: at first I was disappointed because it appears so well padded etc, but 80 or so miles was starting to feel it,; but its a bit like cycling, after a summer riding the bike I have gone about 200 miles in one go without even noticing it. Some swear by gel-padded cycling shorts also, mind you...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Catballou

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:51 »
Hello  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline choppsie

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:30 »
|Hi there and  :welcome:

Offline davvers

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 21:05:54 »
Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. I think I'll insist on a long test ride. Nice to know that it's pretty straightforward to change the height.

Offline coopmick

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:22 »
:welcome2:
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!