V-Strom specific discussion > V-Strom specific discussion

Waking from hibernation....

(1/2) > >>

Sculptor55:
Due to an unfortunate dog/football/wet grass/non-grip-footwear incident, and the subsequent surgery, physio etc, my 2023 650XT has been sitting unused in the garage for 6 months.  Happily, it’s now time to prepare for getting back on the road, so words of wisdom on recommissioning would be welcome.  Luckily, at the end of the last ride I filled up with E5, and used ACF50 on the spokes and shiny bits, which is probably what you would do if intending to lay the bike up.  Battery has been on a maintenance charger every few weeks, and the garage is dry and well insulated.  So the question is, beyond the usual pre-ride checks, should I do anything else before pressing the button?   It seems sensible to at least free the engine by turning over a few times using the rear wheel, or is it necessary to take the plugs out and put some lubricant into the cylinders?
All thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Rixington43:
After only 6 months, honestly I'd do your pre-ride checks and push the button. My guess would be it will fire first time and you'll be on your way.

porter:
I'd just fire it up, it's what I did with mine that's been sitting from 16th October. I'll run this tank of fuel out, fill with fresh and the change the oil. I might clean the brake pistols up if I have a free afternoon.

Sculptor55:
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.  Just need a bit of decent weather now....

Fishtail:
Same here, 22 1050, pushed back out the garage where I left it in October, brushed the dust off the display. Threw my leg over, pressed the button and bye.
I’ve been doing the same for the last seven years with various Vstroms, never a problem. I’ll probably get it serviced when I can be bothered. It only does 5000 miles a year so not heavily used and built with modern materials/electronics. It’s not a seventies classic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version