Author Topic: Altberg  (Read 2266 times)

Offline bencav

Altberg
« on: April 07, 2012, 16:06:58 »
Sometimes, being an odd size can be a big drag! I take size 14 shoes - difficult enough to get normal shoes, bike boots even moreso.

The TCX lorica numbers gave up the game on ST3 and started leaking through a split in the upper quite badly, new boot time!!

Looked at TCX infinity, and tried some on, but the closures wouldn't allow enough adjustment to get a good fit, similar with AP'Stars scout boot. Custom made here we come!

Went to Altberg in Richmond North Yorkshire, left with a BIG smile on me dial!!

Tried loads on, measured over and over, then out came a pair of Clubman Classic Velcro - the ones I wanted ages back but was put off by the price - Tried them on, sat on the bike with them, walked about a while, and thought yep these will do (Sod the price!!) I thought a hand cut calf was on the tried on boots, but alas no, so the price was £157 (expected £220). The place makes all bike boots to order and have very few in stock to try, but as they rarely get a bigfoot in, the chappy was happy to let me have them on the spot as no-one else had tried them on since they were made! TCXs rammed in the top box, me happily riding for a coffee and pasty in Richmond in new boots!!

So yep, Not the cheapest for plain leather boots, but handmade, leather like elephant hide, a sole you could climb a mountain with, and service second to none! They have got Vibram soles, the display models have Skywalk - no idea whether one is better than the other, but I have had Vibram on hiking boots and never had a problem!

If you want a decent pair of 'non-off the shelf' boots, give them a try - a new boot is due soon, similar to the road runner but higher up the leg, no clue on price yet!!

Altberg  :greetings-clappingorange:  :greetings-clappingyellow:  :greetings-clappingorange:  :greetings-clappingyellow:  :greetings-clappingorange:

Offline dsb79

Re: Altberg
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 18:37:48 »
I use alt bergs every day for work, my last pair lasted 12 years, only reason for replacement is that they look a bit tatty, still life in them yet.

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 21:28:58 »
I have Alt-Berg Hogg All Weather Original

Love them
expensive - compared to hiking boots but not other bike boots...

Feel like slippers on
Good for walking around off the bike.

Other good thing is that if the soles wear they'll be able to replace them rather than having to buy new boots.

I think they are ace
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline Ubique

Altberg
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 21:37:23 »
Same as dsb- wear my altbergs at work everyday. Top boots for sure.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:00:24 »
A happy Sasquatch!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 17:54:19 »
Agree with all positive comments above. Mine have lasted donkeys years, not a drop let in, warm, and slipper-like feel! +1 for Altbergs... :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline bencav

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 23:02:32 »
They are taking an eternity to wear in! The leather is thick as a OAP Rhinos skin!!!

Offline Strommer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:51 »
Quote from: "bencav"
They are taking an eternity to wear in! The leather is thick as a OAP Rhinos skin!!!

lol I've worn mine every day for 2 years and they are still breaking in.  The last (used) pair I had were over ten years old and looked about broken in....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline bencav

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:48 »
Best start wearing them to bed then, got a big biking weekend coming up in a few weeks so they NEED to be comfy by then!!

Offline dsb79

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 22:11:21 »
WAX WAX WAX, load them with a good boot wax and put them in the airing cupboard over night every night after wearing them.

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.

Offline Sven

Altberg
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 22:26:45 »
I bought a pair for the bike but didn't like them. Fantastic boot & will last ages but just didn't suit me.
I have a pair of their hiking boots though & love them...

Offline Gordon T

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 15:08:52 »
I've a pair of metal free boots from them. Ues them on the bike as well as metal detecting. Warm,waterproof and comfortable.
Whoooosh!!!!!! `What was that?` That was your life passing by. `Can I have another go as I havent done anything yet?`........ Sorry, only one go for everyone.