Author Topic: New jacket required.  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
New jacket required.
« on: February 08, 2023, 20:36:37 »
The time has come to renew my jacket. The one I have at present is an IXS, laminated. It's been a good jacket and although still waterproof (except for a seam on the shoulder that's split) it must have shrunk when I washed it in the summer!!  :whistle:
I would like another laminated jacket, it makes life that much easier to dry it out when arriving wet at B&B's/hotels when travelling. Although I do have a one piece waterproof suit if the rain gets heavy. I would like to keep the budget to around £300 and have been looking at the Oxford Mondial Advanced Textile Jacket. Seems to have pretty good reviews.
The other one I've thought about is the Rev'it Poseidon 2 Gore-Tex Textile Jacket, also good reviews but another £200!! That's a few breakfasts & a few tanks of petrol.

What are peoples thoughts on the two mentioned jackets.
I did read UK_Vstrom650's review of the Rev'it jacket but that was from a few years ago.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

Re: New jacket required.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 21:27:19 »
I still have the Rev'It jacket and it's been waterproof ever since it got repaired. It's 7 years old in March... so maybe I was just unlucky at the time?  The signs of wear are: All the bonded abrasion patches are peeling off now (shoulders/elbows), and I had to re-stitch the velcro on the left pocket at it came off - a zip might have been better. (The left one houses my keys, the right my wallet so that's like new #yorkshireman)

I'd hope the II would improve on the following. The vents don't seem to work so well (although that could be the airflow/Strom setup - could be very good on a naked bike) and they look like you're trying to flash your boobs at folks. The magnetic clips can be fiddly to latch one handed - jacket and trousers, and awkward to undo on the move.
The neck opening isn't great at keeping wind out, but I always wear a neck tube.
The inner pocket on the winter liner (which I never use as I wear the heated jacket) has better access for storing your key than the one in the jacket which is more awkward.
Other than that can't think of much else I'd pick fault with.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 00:22:24 »
They're all shit. I've got an Oxford Mondial jacket and trousers. First 12 months they were good, particularly the laminated aspect.
After that the trousers leaked like a sieve, the jacket mostly OK, bit of seepage after all day rain. Now I wear  cheapo plastic overtrousers over the top of my Oxfords with good results.
Baffles me why expensive motorcycle gear can't be 100% waterproof all of the time.
Usually it leaks through the seams, cheap plastic hiking gear has welded or taped seams and rarely leaks.
I'm not prepared to pay the guts of 2 grand for Rukka or Klim etc. and I know several people with that expensive stuff that have had to send it back cos its leaked.

Offline geoffbandit

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 08:03:29 »
Not long bought a Lindstrands Hamar jacket seems up to the job so far ,£135 price matched at J&S

Online Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 09:05:31 »
I agree with crump.
I rarely leave home when it is raining so I don't know if my Oxford Mondial jacket is waterproof  or not. It's a bit short in the body and the neck closure is too big. If there is a chance of rain I use a lightweight waterproof two piece suit with High-Vis jacket and black trousers. I think they were IRO £ 80 for the pair. I could buy a set every year and it is still cheaper than a Rev'it suit. It is, however, a bit of a faff if it suddenly rains on a motorway.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 10:08:49 »
I have a weisse laminated. a good jacket if a bit stiff to put on but I would reccommend them.looking back or forward I should have bought a helite airbag one,protection is more important than waterproofing. as said earlier a waterproof  overall on top would be better.  having said that I really like my weisse one. :)

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 13:14:42 »
Have a look at Richa Infinity 2 Pro jacket!  £350 and get rave reviews. 
Never too old to ride!

Offline Upt North

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 15:21:22 »
I've got the Oxford Laminated jobbie. Great piece of kit. It's been used in anger for about twelve months. Never let the wet in, one shake and it's dry.
The armour doesn't move about like in most textiles either.
One shake and it's dry......Oooo eerr missus.
Upt'North.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 15:27:57 »
I've had loads of jackets in the last 14  years - commuting everyday wrecks them.

Apart from the now defunct Hein Gericke suit I bought 12 years ago, my current Lindstrand (part of Halvarssons) suit lasted well.

If you buy cheap you'll buy twice - anything under £250 jacket and £200 trousers and you'll just be waiting for it to fail.

This isn't about being snobby over the price you pay - my Linstands suit should have been £380 for the jacket and £240 for the trousers, but I got them when they were end of line and discontinued for half that, but quality does cost.

I have the 2 piece waterproofs to go over the top, but it's such a pita, the only time I use them is when camping and it's raining and I'm not even riding the bike at that point!

HG Suit  - jacket £260 & Trousers £220- 7 years & slightly damp through front zip & right elbow - wet leg from shin down as I holed it riding offroad with Fat Rat in Brechfa forest. - Faded a bit after 5 years of daily commuting. (too fat to fit in it now)
Frank Thomas jacket - £50 stock clearance in work - should have been £250 - still waterproof - 20k miles and 5 years - crap attaching of the separate outer, waterproof and thermal layers
Oxford jacket - £200 - 6 months damp, 9 month cullender
Buffalo  jacket - £120  - 3 months damp - 4 months cullender and liner ripped
Tuzo jacket  £120 -  leaded on day 2   - took back and got the buffalo one
Tuzo leather jacket £99- faded to buggery  - was never waterproof, but stitching was suspect and zips gave up in 6 months.
Jens Richa suit (£150 each) leaked after about 6 months, but it was like turning on the tap.
Jen's Joe Rocket (Honda) - £250 - (£120- discontinued) - still waterproof - 6 years but limited mileage.

cheap stuff doesn't last - just wait and grab a bargain on something discontinued  :thumb:

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 16:24:44 »
I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't laminated Gore-Tex. As mentioned above, it is almost instant dry.
Prior to laminated Gore-Tex, I had normal Gore-Tex which was great at keeping you dry, but got soaked with rain and took ages to dry and drip water everywhere. If you use the jacket/trousers daily then having to put on cold, still wet clothes back on in the morning is not nice (even if they keep you dry).

Prior to Gore-Tex I had the old all-in-one rainsuit which was a right pain to get in esp if it started raining when you were mid-ride. Then you boiled-in-the-bag.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 16:30:43 »
All the different makes seem to shrink as you grow older.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 16:40:54 »
Wait until about March/April time when everyone finally admits defeat on their new years' health kick and sells off their aspirationally sized christmas presents ;)

Offline aderio

• Bike: Honda CRF250L, Vstrom DL1000A, Yamaha XJ700 Maxim, Bultaco Sherpa 325
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 18:03:29 »
Quote removed

Brilliant :)

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 18:28:35 »
Hard trying to find decent gear these days as quality has dwindled over the years.

Best gear I've owned is Rukka, when it was manufactured in Germany, don't have it anymore however now, I wouldn't wear Rukka if a set was given to me.

What jacket would I recommend now ... ?

Merlin.

I've had a wax merlin medium length jacket for around 9 years now and it's still waterproof apart from the ends of the sleeves.
It's my commuter jacket and the older it gets the better it looks, I've never waxed it but try my best to look after it.

Wouldn't say its the warmest jacket but like many I also throw over a set of light waterproofs if it's real cold and wet.
In the spring, summer and autumn when temps are higher my waterproof throw over stays at home.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 18:40:39 »
Thanks for the reply gents. They pretty much sum up my thoughts re how waterproof things are, and will be a year or two down the line, and the reason I prefer the laminated jackets (trousers). I've had my present IXS for about six years now and like I said it's been pretty good.
I am happy to ride for an hour in rain wearing it but if it looks as if it's going to be more than that, the one piece goes on. Even wearing that after 3/4 hours in heavy rain we still get wet, even a plastic suit can't stop rain going down your neck, up your leg or creeping in behind the zip storm flap and running down to cause dampness in the lower regions, it just slows it down. 
Mick

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 03:41:53 »
RST have a laminated jacket/trouser, the Pathfinder. Dry as a bone (now a year old) in torrential rain, as warm as you want them to be, and you don't feel like you're working up a sweat in them either, unlike my other waterproof jacket (which, funnily enough, isn't that waterproof...). Also surprisingly flexible compared to some other waterproof stuff I've seen and AA rated.

You might find them on offer, as I think they were edging towards being discontinued when I bought mine, but they still appear to be on sale!

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 11:05:10 »
 :thumb:
Mick

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 14:09:48 »
Ivè had the Oxford Mondial suit for a few years now and really rate it. The trousers did leak slighty at the crotch and I replaced the under warranty. I heard they did have some issues so hoping the new ones last. For the money it's a great suit. The jacket is fantastic. I gave up on the big and braces as the braces kept shifting when riding so just zip them together. I've ridden all year and and in all conditions and the suit has done me proud. Plenty warm enough in the winter with the removable thermal linings and cool enough in the summer with the vents.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 16:16:25 »
We were over in Boston at the weekend so called into the sportsbikeshop, 'just to have a look'.  :whistle:
I ended up buying the Oxford Mondial suit (both jacket & trousers). It does feel nice & also feels lighter than my IXS I've had for a few years. Also bought a set of 2 piece waterproofs, also Oxford.
The waterproofs were already discounted but when I went to the desk to pay I asked if there was anything off the suit, the nice gentleman gave me 10% off both the jacket & trousers. I wouldn't have got that if I'd have ordered on line.
Hopefully we'll out soon to give them a test.  :thumb:

PS, it seems Oxford sizes are smaller than IXS as I had to get a 3XL compared to my 2 XL IXS (that shank when washed) so be aware if you buy their stuff!  :grin:
Mick

Offline Upt North

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 17:03:27 »
Mick, are the trousers any better than the normal textiles for keeping the armour where it should be. I have got an old pair of Oxford textiles that I can't get on with and my leather troosers are getting old. Just had some stitching done on them but their time is nigh.
Upt.