Author Topic: Returning to the dark side  (Read 1280 times)

Offline msharpe

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Returning to the dark side
« on: December 05, 2019, 22:08:43 »
Well after being a regular on here and having owned several DL1000’s from K2 to K6, with a DL650 thrown in there too I defected in 2016 and bought a Tiger800. I’m sorry to say I loved it more than any of the vstroms I’d had, predominantly because thanks to a serious accident I’d had in 2007 I have a lot of issues with comfort thanks to the injuries to my legs. The tiger was more comfortable out the box than my vstroms without any modifications. Well thanks to old injuries rearing their head I did a pitiful 600miles in 2018, thinking things were better and having made plans for a better 2019, I got about 200 miles in in spring before disaster struck again so rather than the tiger sit in the garage depreciating and not getting used I sold it.
Last week I found out there’s a 14mm piece of bone floating around in my knee, which should be getting removed next Thursday with a quick keyhole surgery. So with the hope I’ll be bike fit again by the spring a purchase was made today. THERE WILL BE ANOTHER VSTROM (2016) ENTERING THE GARAGE ON MONDAY!! I have returned to the dark side and must say I’m looking forward to it.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: Returning to the dark side
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 22:44:15 »
 :welcome2: back but don't you mean returned FROM the darkside ?   :grin:
Good luck with the Op and a speedy recovery.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline msharpe

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 22:52:47 »
Well........ I hate to say it here (especially being a trained non practicing Suzuki technician) I’d have to class the Jap stuff as the dark side these days. The Europeans have really upped their game and made some amazing bikes myself and step dad both leaving vstroms and also in his case a super tenere for triumphs and friends of ours leaving the likes of Honda and Kawasaki for BMW’s.
I do still love my Suzuki’s but they are in my opinion the dark side now, even at the show (nec) the japs were reliant on bulking out the stands with race memorabilia, the Europeans filling up with more and more models.
Thanks for the best wishes ☺️

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 22:57:16 »
 :welcome2: back
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:28:10 »
 :welcome2: back from  :traitor: , the real darkside .  :grin:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 07:22:32 »
 :welcome2: back.

This is the V-Strom Forum, so you are moving from the Dark Side to the Enlightenment Zone.
 :whistle:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:44:13 »
Welcome back, hope the op goes OK. I had a tiger8 2012 before my strom.
 I've  never found the Veek as comfortable as the tiger, there's less leg room and the none ajustable seat don't help. Tried 3 seats now, Sargent seems the best but I'm still not as comfy as on the wee tiger, maybe  just me. I do like the extra torque, brakes and suspension of the Veek better though but I do like the look of the new tiger900!
Good luck

Offline msharpe

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 15:36:41 »
Yeah I found my tiger 100times more comfortable than the previous vee’s I had, I didn’t enjoy the actually having to ride it lol as in change down for a quick over take, not being able to sit in top gear at 30mph and roll on to national speeds comfortably etc etc.
Before I got the tiger I did try the new Veek at the dealership where a couple of ex colleagues work now and tried it with the tall seat (I’m informed £200 from Denmark is cheapest) and it didn’t seem too bad, I guess time will tell.
Thank you for your best wishes