Camping - Sponsored by bikerscampsite.co.uk > Camping Equipment & Suppliers

Going camping

(1/4) > >>

Tel:
No posts since June 2022 so thought I would put something together.  The last item was a khyam tent for sale, I’ve had one for 21 years and it’s still OK, have bought a new one a biker plus se which I am using for the first time at the end of may, off to France with some pals.  The biker plus is a lot taller than my old biker tent which is easier to get dressed in and kinder to my old back, 71 now so hope I’m still around when this tent is 21 years old. I’ll put a review of the new tent when I return

Mep:
 I enjoy moto camping. As for tents, I've had a few. Started out with a Banshee 200 with a gear store but that was too small. Then I resurrected an old family tent and ditched one of the sleeping compartments so I could have a decent vestibule for cooking etc, but that leaked and one of the poles broke in the wind. Last year I splashed out on a Lone Rider Mototent and am very pleased with it. OK, its not cheap but the quality and features are amazing. Plenty of doors, room, and height. I can't fault it. It weighs around 5.5kg and straps to my rear seat just fine. The photo  is of my recent trip to the Scottish borders.

NeilM:
I only started moto camping a couple of years ago and went small and cheap with a Eurohike Backpacker DLX2 as it was light and big enough for me and my gear.

I did an overnight to Cornwall just to check out all my gear, made the relevant changes and then did a week in Scotland then later in the year another week in Wales (yes, including a night at the Bikers Campsite). The DLX2 is compact easy to put up and pack away but a little bit short in the sleeping compartment for me at just over 6' 1" tall and although I've never had any ingress, I worry slightly about my feet pushing the inner tent against the outer flysheet on a wet night.

I also have a Wild Country Zephyros (who comes up with these names?) which my wife bought me as a present when I was planning on cycle touring, which I still want to do. Earlier this week I used it for a couple of nights in the Lake District. It's a nice little tent, but it's a bit complicated to put up and slow to take down and although there is plenty of room to sleep, sitting up is almost impossible and getting in and out of the sde opening is just a b*gger... well it is for a 64 year old anyway.

I have another Scottish trip coming up, so following some advice from a YouTube traveller I watch I have recently bought a three man dome tent. A Highlander Birch 3. I bought it s/h, used once from Ebay and for the £35 I paid for it I am happy. If however I had paid the £100 and something new price I think I would be a little disappointed as it is a very basic inner tent with glassfibre poles and a separate fly. The tent has loads of room but the vestibule is small, so most of my gear will be stored in the tent rather than outside which is where the DLX2 is the winner so far.

I have looked at much more expensive tents, biker specific or otherwise,  but for the few weeks a year of UK camping that I do it's hard to justify the cost, although I'm always happy to be convinced otherwise.

Rixington43:
We do a fair bit of camping on bikes but also in the car to go mountain biking and walking. I had a small 3 man dome for years which I used solo but changed once it was 2 of us.
I got sick of getting dressed sat down, lying on your arse shuffling your jeans up one rung at a time is just so undignified, so I bought a Vango Omega 350.
Been using it a few years now and I love it. Plenty of space for kit storage and still only 3 poles and under 10 minutes to put up. I have the additional ground sheet though as these modern super thin integrated ones don't handle waterlogged moss very well. Only drawback is remembering to knock the roof dry before opening the doors after a very wet night.
I love that the roll size is within the pannier width so they can be accessed without removing the tent and the diameter means it serves as a stop for the OEM top box lid which opens too far and knackers it's tethers if not treated with care.

Steve T:
Its a thumbs up from me for the Vango Omega 3 as well  :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version