Author Topic: Temptation  (Read 233 times)

Offline Keepitlit

• Bike: Vstrom
Temptation
« on: April 18, 2024, 21:46:51 »
Had my 1050 18 months  now but just recently had my head turned by the 800DE ,has anyone done the change from 1050 to 800 and regretted it.Got talking to a dealer yesterday and was enquiring about the second hand  800DE the dealership had and the dealership bloke told me that the 800 is a better engine than the 1050 and is more lively, obviously he's after the sale and may want to sway my decision with this statement. With that in mind my fellow vstromers what's the collective opinions on this,also have an upcoming trip to Scotland from Shropshire and know the 1050 just eats miles .

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
Re: Temptation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 22:27:41 »
Take the 800 for a long test ride, and then ride your 1050 home on a long route. Then you can compare the two and decide if it's just change for changes sake, or is it really a better bike for you. Personally I think your 1050 is the better bike , but only worry about what you think. Either way enjoy yourself making the choice, it can sometimes become a bit stressful making these decisions.
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 23:35:56 »
I think the 800RE might be a better bike if you do mostly road riding, tubeless cast wheels would be a big factor for me, easy plug and go puncture repairs if you're unfortunate enough to get a puncture, and they always happen at the worst time :dl_smiley_banghead:
your 1050 will have great grunt and brakes etc but I'm not sure if they still have the same clutch 'judder' as the previous versions had, I suspect they do after a certain amount of miles it being the same engine.
A long test ride and comparison with your own bike then is good advice.

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 23:38:24 »
  id take a test ride   tbo   
      I was close to buying one    but after having a t7   had to admit it was still going to be too big and heavy to take advantage of its   really pretyy decent of road manners and  very decent suspension 
       engine wise it pulls really really well right from down low and is pleanty fast enough    but will   be revving substantially higher   at 80mph   
        I think what swayed me   was    I really  don't have the   skillset to manage  a loaded de800 on uk trails   and   I stick with my tricked up crf   for that job 
      the  weather protection on the de is pretty much non existant   and   for that reason it doesn't make the best tourer  for me   ..being tall the screen would have to be  comically tall to be of any use on the road   and liablility off road   
        the tubeless tyrs I could live with but  it would probaly benifit   from a centrestand   being so heavy    as balencing that on a ugly stick and replacing the rear wheeel would be scetchy to say the least   
           if the plan is to   use it  maby aboad doing the   endless firetacks in spain and portugal   the 800  is light years better than the 1050    tbo  I'm no off road god but I'm not a total mug and was quite impressed by it   
     ultimatly  I wanted a primerily a road tourer    and    I think for that the 1050de  offers  more   of that side while retaining a bit of  composure for the odd firetrack and   jeep track   ....add in cruise control   better cockpit and  less radical suspension travel   with better front  brakes I think   ..against it is of course its mass and weight   
        then I guess there was  the value   side of it   with  1050des  to be had for sub 10k with full luggage   
       as road based bike I like the 1050 better than the 800   
  but  I guess its obvius but the 800  does feel pretty dam good    on some of the moss tracks I took it down and has way way better suspension than the t7     
           but  taking down a duel carriagway and a few miles of motorway    was  not a very pleasent    thing to do   
be intersesting to see how you get on with it    ...I tried the  r version as well and that was  tbo  just too small for me    ..I'm quite tall  long legs   ..the 800de was much btter for me seat wise     but  it leaned  a lot towards the off road   ..I tried the transalp as well and that has a decent fairing    but the suspension isn't any where near as good   ..the alps engine was a bit slow to   pick up low down and the took off like scalded cat   and was  strong   all the way up   ..faster than the Suzuki  but faster in the wrong place for me  but at least Honda   gave the rider some protection to travel with   which for me is the 800s biggest drawback   
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 07:53:04 »
I think, that besides the different in power, the V motor feel vs that of the twin / parallel motor would to some riders be a deal breaker. Also the 1050's cruise control would be sadly missed, if doing a lot of long distance riding.

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 22:55:30 »
I sold my 1050xt and bought a BMW R1250GSA. Despite being a BMW fan, I really missed the Strom and have since moved back to the new 1050. As a real world motorcycle I just find it perfect.  It cost me a bit to realise that though, so as said, try both back to back and take your time over the decision.  Good luck 👍

Offline Keepitlit

• Bike: Vstrom
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 23:25:39 »
Thanks blokes for all your valuable comments and knowledge really appreciate it, decision made I'm going to stick with my 21plate 1050 ,also I have the 1050 just to my liking with  a few extra bits and pieces I've added to enhance comfort and carrying capacity.