Author Topic: A friendly request  (Read 20103 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
A friendly request
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:21:11 »
Firstly, this is just to point something out that people doing it might not have thought of, no intention of offending anyone so don't get in a huff :grin:

There are a lot of people that continually quote everyone that they are responding to. There is no need to quote someone that you are responding to if you respond in the same thread. Quoting is something best used when you want to respond to a specific part of someone else's post. Even then, if you are responding shortly after the person you are replying to has posted then there is no need to quote, everyone who reads the thread has already read what the other person has said.

Each time you quote someone else's whole post you're making reading the read more difficult for others. Instead of reading your response they first need to get past the bit you quote.

OK, I feel better saying that, mock me all you like now :neen:

ps. Some examples of how to or how not to do it below with the purpose of assisting with the explanation of what it is I am talking about.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Juvecu

Re: A friendly request
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:22:16 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Firstly, this is just to point something out that people doing it might not have thought of, no intention of offending anyone so don't get in a huff  :grin:

There are a lot of people that continually quote everyone that they are responding to. There is no need to quote someone that you are responding to if you respond in the same thread. Quoting is something best used when you want to respond to a specific part of someone else's post. Even then, if you are responding shortly after the person you are replying to has posted then there is no need to quote, everyone who reads the thread has already read what the other person has said.

Each time you quote someone else's whole post you're making reading the read more difficult for others. Instead of reading your response they first need to get past the bit you quote.

ps. Some examples of how to or how not to do it below with the purpose of assisting with the explanation of what it is I am talking about.
This is the wrong way to do it, Juvecu has just posted above, everyone has just read it and they don't need to see the whole thing quote. Even worse if there was a picture in Juvecu's original post.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:22:54 »
Firstly, this is just to point something out that people doing it might not have thought of, no intention of offending anyone so don't get in a huff  :grin:

This is the wrong way to do it, Juvecu has just posted above, everyone has just read it and they don't need to see the whole thing quote. Even worse if there was a picture in Juvecu's original post.
Bloody hell, what is Juvecu doing, he just quoted a quote by someone who needlessly quoted someone else! :crazy:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:43 »
This is better, just quoting a bit that you want to emphasise a few posts later :clap:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:58 »
I agree with Juvecu, people don't always realise that they do this.

See what I did there? Didn't even quote the whole thing, just mentioned the original poster's name and made a statement regarding it. Easy stuff and easy to read, short and effective :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:26:26 »
Hopefully this gets the message across, just a bit of forum etiquette. I nicked Hutchie's flame proof pants so fire away if you like lol

ps. This is good for my post count :lala:

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:34:49 »
I'll have what you're smoking

:neen:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:59 »
it's only fair to share when you have shit that strong
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52:51 »
I had to vent it, I should be able to ignore it for another year or so now :shy:

ps. See, no need to quote him, his post is the one right above mine :grin:

Offline gbrchill

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:05:25 »
The problem lies with the quote button, which is just too easy to push rather than hitting the postreply button at the bottom of the thread.

My names Chris and I over quote excessively, but not this time.

Offline Mad Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:09:53 »

I agree. lol

Offline choppsie

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:16:30 »
Quote from: "Mad Phil"

I agree. lol

I also agree  lol

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:19:00 »
Leave Juvecu to his ragefest you lot , you know we all need to vent now and again
 :auto-dirtbike:

(Don't quote me on that)
 :neen:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:58 »
Haha, leave them to it Hutchie, I can see the humour in it if they this whole thread is just one big quote. I didn't expect anything less lol

ps. Rat bastards!

Offline Mad Phil

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 11:44:45 »
Sorry, someone was going to do it..

Offline X13OOR

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:50:16 »
Quote from: "Mad Phil"

I agree. lol

well I think your both wrong. and you should quote every post  :liar:

OK joking. qouting can be a pain, even more so when photos are in the qoute  :text-givemebeer:

Offline john williams

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 13:17:56 »
:hb:  :hb:  :hb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 13:18:43 »
lol

Offline choppsie

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 13:40:16 »
lol  lol  lol  lol

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 15:05:01 »
Juvecu, one of my colleagues picked up something that fell off your bike on the M40 today...

The plot!
No bike at present.......