Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1219124 times)

ThunderStrom and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12200 on: April 16, 2024, 07:22:27 »
It was mighty breezy here yesterday, but with clear blue skies.... mostly, so I took the opportunity to get out on the 650.

I whizzed up to Bristol to Fowlers to take a look / sit on a Tracer 9 and a 850GS, as I have a possible fly / ride planned for next year and these are two of the bikes on offer. I then went over to Superbike Factory as I wanted to try a 750GS, but they have a 'look but don't touch' policy. I didn't fancy an hour long sales pitch, so I didn't 'ask for assistance', my previous sit on the Tracer was enough to tell me the Beemers are a closer feel to my VStrom.

Came out of Bristol on the A38 and then turned left to head across the Chew Valley, then up and onto the Mendips, where it really was blowing.

A few tractors slowed things down a little, but they are working and I'm on holiday, so I just hang back.

Coming down I had to choose between Cheddar Gorge and Burrington Combe. Cheddar is rugged but Burrington has far better road surfaces. I then took the winding way back towards Weston and that's when the rain started. Not hard and not really a nuisance, but.... I only washed the bike on Sunday.

Another very pleasant 75 miles, the bike really does feel great and if the weather will just play ball next week, I'll be doing an overnight camp in Dorset, a visit to the Sammy Miller museum and a nice run home through the New Forest. By then I think it'll be ready for an oil and filter change ready for our 2024 adventures.
The older I get, the better I was.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12201 on: April 16, 2024, 10:18:12 »
I've been chasing an intermittent sticky throttle over the past few months/years. I've cleaned and lubed every linkage going more than once and even started wondering if the throttle cables needed replacing.
Note to self, check the bloody obvious before you go chasing ghosts 😬.
Bar rubbed back, kurust applied and primed for top coat, once I buy some.
Cables and linkages are free as anything so a nice cheap, if dumb, fix.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12202 on: April 17, 2024, 17:23:41 »
Short trip out, my sinuses are still full but thought I'd run an errand on the bike as the weather seemed better. Didn't miss a beat starting, the only thing I've noticed today is that my gear indicator is proper on the fritz and I was in 3rd before I'd even left the drive. Must sort that!

Got a picture that I popped in the picture thread too... slightly overdue one :)

Online Rixington43

« Reply #12203 on: April 19, 2024, 12:56:22 »
Painted the bar under the throttle grip and thought I'd do a bit of under tank tlc whilst it dries. Air filter clean and then clean off and re grease all the linkages and electrical connectors I can access. Also check vacuum take offs etc.
Top tip, aerosol lids make great intake covers to protect against errant screws.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12204 on: April 20, 2024, 13:12:17 »
Yesterday......
Went to Berwick-upon-the-Tweed for a reassuringly old fashioned MOT. Only 40 cold miles completed. It was blummin cold.
Upt.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12205 on: April 20, 2024, 13:54:49 »
That northerly wind today is not very user friendly.
I WAS going to go east into Suffolk,but heavy side wind there and back ....hmmm.
Decided to head north INTO the wind to Kings Lynn.
At least I had a tail wind to look forward to on the way back.
Sort of worked,it started to piss down as I was putting my helmet on to come back.
It stopped raining  as soon as I got out of town but with a wet road and a black cloud chucking it down just in front of me a mile or two ahead,yet sunny where I was :shrug:
Half way home the cloud drifted left,I drifted right , and the road dried out.......Huh....Some days it is just like that?

Ho Hum

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12206 on: April 21, 2024, 14:03:20 »
The wind had died down a bit so I trundled down to the Suffolk/Norfolk border .
Inspired by Volcanic Browns vid I thought about going to look at that church,but he said it is open on the weekend ,and at the best of times I avoid God botherers ( I am allowed to say that ,I have a pass being an ex choir boy  :icon_wink: ) so will leave that for a week day.
Instead I investigated a bridge I saw on a previous wander.
It is on a now closed road in Homersfield over the river Waveny,which is the border between the two counties.
So I spent a while popping over the border and back,just for shits and giggles.
Built in 1870 it is the oldest cast iron /concrete bridge in GB.
A nearby plaque said it cost the huge sum of £344..........
On the way out there was this totem...........what that is about........not a clue.

Ho Hum

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #12207 on: April 21, 2024, 20:30:40 »
Love the look of that Bridge Nigel.    good find 👍

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #12208 on: April 21, 2024, 22:31:45 »
Only riding all weekend was once my house was cleared out riding to my new temporary home… I wish my garage had always been this empty  :roll:
Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Online Rixington43

« Reply #12209 on: April 21, 2024, 22:42:36 »
Got out for 100 miles or so yesterday, along with a few blokes on Indians. A nice sedate tour of the peaks and it was a change to be riding one of the lighter and quieter bikes in the group. Still adore American iron, still glad I own the Vee.
Today however, me and the missus went to a friend's neighbour's farm for a day out where the bloke let us drive his tractors and classic cars (Austin A30, Zephyr MkII and a Zodiac MkIII) but also let us loose in his field on my mates 650GS and then an old 650 BSA with a sidecar. What a hilarious treat that was.

* The Corgi wasn't a runner I don't think but I'd never seen one before.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12210 on: April 22, 2024, 05:42:23 »
Back in the day we had John Deeres and just like harleys you could tell they were american,huge levers and pedals everything oversized  :grin: even for tractors.
I had a sit in a new Massey Ferguson last year...........I doubt I could even start it let alone use it.These days you need to be a computer expert to get the best out of them.Times have changed :icon_wink:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12211 on: April 22, 2024, 21:17:19 »
Checked it over at the weekend & this morning loaded it up for the first trip of the year.
Four nights in Morecambe, with rides to The Forest of Bowland, The Yorkshire Dales & a run around Coniston & Windermere in Thee Lake District planned.
A little damp on the way here but hoping the weather will change .  :sunny:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #12212 on: April 22, 2024, 22:28:41 »
Looks cloudy tomorrow in Cumbria with only a chance of rain on Wednesday… hope it stays warm and dry for you  :thumb:
Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12213 on: April 23, 2024, 19:24:00 »
Just 100 miles today on a loop around The Forest of Bowland & The Trough of Bowland. The temperature was in single figures when we left this morning but the sun shone all day & it got warmer as the day went on, we ended up a The Lock Keepers Rest at Glasson Dock for a coffee, we sat outside (you have to anyway 🙂) and the temp was showing 14° on the display.
Hoping for similar weather for the next few days.  :)
Mick

Offline Ray1965

• Bike: DL650XT M1
« Reply #12214 on: April 24, 2024, 17:01:48 »
I took a 2 day spin around the south cost of Ireland and then up the west coast a little before turning home to the midlands. 1043 klm or 648 miles in all. The Wee preformed well throughout, a very capable machine indeed
Stay between the ditches, and keep the rubber side down

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12215 on: April 24, 2024, 17:56:45 »
Another run out today. However what should have been a planned 160 mile ride was cut short because it turned bloody cold!
We had a cracking ride for around 3 hours & ended up in Hawes where we dined in the Penny Garth Cafe. Deb had a nice hot soup I, of course, went for the Full English. Both were excellent.
By now the temperature had dropped to single figures, with a strong breeze making it feel colder. No heated jackets with us, as who needs heated clothing at the end of April.  :GRR: So, instead of heading up to Tan Hill we decided to head back to the digs.
A total of 123 miles in some great scenery.
Hopefully Cumbria will be kinder to us tomorrow. :thumb:
Mick

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #12216 on: April 24, 2024, 20:32:45 »
@Barbel Mick
Glad you & Debs are having a good few days away. Shame you had to cut todays ride short, it’s been so bloody cold down here to ☹️
Last nights ride with my mate was bloody freezing 🥶. It didn’t help as I only wore my work trousers as it was dry when I left home.  I arrived at his and he had full adventure gear on🤔 so he was all Toasty. And I was so cold 🥶
I know it’s only April 😠
Hope the weather improves for you both 👍

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12217 on: April 25, 2024, 18:15:07 »
Great ride today. Up to & around Coniston & Windermere.
Other than a 5 minute hail storm, 10 minutes after setting off this morning, the rest of the day has been cracking riding weather. 14/15 deg showing on the display, plenty of sunshine too. 134 miles completed.  :)
Mick

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12218 on: April 25, 2024, 18:28:29 »
Wot, no pictures of food at the Bluebird café?

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12219 on: April 25, 2024, 20:20:12 »
 'tinternet is a bit hit & miss on the caravan site & it won't post photos?
Anyway, only had a sausage cob at the Bluebird Cafe. 🙂
I'll post a few photos when I get back, although, unusual for me, I've not taken many on this trip.  :)
Mick