Author Topic: Cymarc Gear Change Enhancer  (Read 617 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Cymarc Gear Change Enhancer
« on: March 10, 2024, 15:11:38 »
The gearbox on my DL1000 2014 is just a little clunky, I guess they all are. I have seen the Cymarc part that is meant to align the front and rear sprocket more accurately. It's really just a shim that fits behind the rear sprocket.

Has anybody hear fitted on and does it work? £50 is a lot to spend if it's just a gimmick.  :thumb:

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/Suzuki-v-strom-and-dl-1000-gear-change-enhancer---fits-latest-models-21-p.asp
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Cymarc Gear Change Enhancer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 17:47:48 »
This isn't going to be much help to you  Doc, I did fit one to my 14, and at first I thought it made a difference but now it seems as clunky as ever so I'm not sure. I'd not know for sure without removing it and I just don't have that much enthusiasm!
  I do know I never paid 50 quid, more like 30. It's only about 1mm thick, I thought it would be thicker somehow.  Sorry its no great help.
  Having the clutch basket modified does make the gearbox sweeter, apart from 1st to 2nd.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 18:49:43 »
Thank you porter. I'm surprised though that the clutch basket mods don't improve 1st and 2nd gear as that seems to be where the mod is needed most. I will just probably let sleeping dogs lie.  :thumb:

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 20:35:19 »
Hi Doc, I can't be much help either. I have one on my bike as well, but it was already fitted when I purchased it. So I couldn't tell you the difference anyway. But I do find I have too slightly change my method of year change, at different revs. It's just learning how the bike likes to work I think.
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000AL8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 21:10:46 »
I run my 2018 1000 on synthetic oil (Castrol Power 1) and I think the 'box is quite slick with clutch or clutch less (up only) changes.

Offline Valzdl650

• DL650 Paderborn germany
  • Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 21:13:05 »
When you say clunky, you mean it’s knocking? Mine has started knocking and when I checked my rear sprocket there’s a bit of give so I’m going to shim the Cushions with some inner tube  this week

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 05:53:09 »
I think that this sprocket spacer idea may be another form of the modification that was done to solve the 1st gen Vee sprocket alignment complaint.

For those who want to read more on the 1st gen Vee sprocket alignment mod, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1499.0.htmlhttp://www.adventuretech.biz/DL1000-rear-wheel-spacer.html and http://www.adventuretech.biz/DL1000-rear-wheel-spacer-instructions.html

Offline Valzdl650

• DL650 Paderborn germany
  • Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 08:50:34 »
Cheers gert, was interesting read, I’m starting to feel this now

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:15:06 »

Quote from Cymarc ... "The result of fitting our part is quite amazing and if you do not have a distinct improvement then we offer an unconditional lifetime money back promise."
You've got nothing to lose by trying it.  :shrug:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 19:20:05 »
Barbell Mick. Your last post inspired me to make an order  :thumb:.  Gear change enhancer ordered. £6.95 seems a little expensive for economy postage but much cheaper than going to fetch it so had to bite the bullet.

I'll report back as to whether it's made any difference when I get around to fitting it, it depends greatly on the weather.  :thumb:

Thanks to all of you for your knowledgeable replies, as usual, some of them too complex for me. I'm a bit thick  :ty:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 20:30:49 »
I hope it works because if it doesn't, you'll have to pay to send it back for the refund!  :grin:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 14:28:45 »
Well today I woke to a deep layer of snow, yes snow. I took my bike to a local garage to have the Cymarc spacer fitted, I know it's an easy job but I've already waited too long for decent weather.

The chap in the garage fitted it and I started on a ride to try it out. Sadly the weather changed from snow on the road but not raining to wind and hail, so much hail that I couldn't see where I was going so I returned strait home.

The Cymarc shim seems to have made a slight difference but I was concentrating so much on my ride and trying to find the best line on the mud and snow covered road that I didn't really make a proper assessment of the gear change. I'll be back within the next couple of days (with luck) to let you know what I think but even if it proves to have made no noticeable change I will leave it on because of the fuss in removing it and the cost of posting it back.

I hope it has made some noticeable difference though.   :thumb:

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 15:11:41 »
Snow Doc? Damn!
Sorry to threadjack,but .
Been thinking about when I had a Gagiva SX 250 trail bike in '84 and spent my time clearing roads with the farm loader or scooting the SX across fields to avoid the six foot high snow drifts.
Found this for '82......'84 was worse.
I HATE snow.
Ho Hum

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 19:24:30 »
Well, I've had a ride with the Cymarc spacer fitted and can report that it seems to make a noticeable difference, it could be in my mind but I don't think so because I was sceptical and wasn't expecting too much. It does make the gear change up and down smoother, money well spent then, I'm happy.   :lala:  :thumb: